THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Petrol wood chipper/shredders recommendations and advice

Petrol wood chipper/shredders recommendations and advice

I need a petrol wood chipper and the budget is around 800 anybody that knows of a good one I'd appreciate the info 3" capacity plus rasied discharge would be nice.
    just a simple guy

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Are you looking to buy new or used ?

Either if it's in good condition or a bargain but I'm not a fan of driving so I thought new would be more likely.
    just a simple guy

2nd hand will get you more grunt for your money, its the sort of thing you do not want to be running at full tilt al the time and I am guessing if you are investing 80o then you will be using it a fair bit?
    Some reviews here ...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm growing willow SRC and I can't be bothered to mess around with the thinner stuff so it can go through a chipper for mulch/ poultry litter plus I've got the boundary hedges to keep on top of and it's bound to come in handy for work every now and then,no point buying anything to weedy but as always the good stuff is expensive.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: dingy

Looks like you need at least a 15HP engine and a decent weight flywheel it looks like 800 is unrealistic
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Looks like you need at least a 15HP engine and a decent weight flywheel it looks like 800 is unrealistic
    My mate used to hire one , not a bad option if you are using it infrequently ?

I think the towable ones go walkie too if they are not well secure

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    I think the towable ones go walkie too if they are not well secure
    Security is a constant thing,all my stuff is chained up , by the time I've got everything unlocked and out it's started raining or got dark
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, ma bungo, patchypete

My mate used to hire one , not a bad option if you are using it infrequently ?
    I don't like hiring stuff if I can help it , once I get one I'll make sure it gets used good for composting chewing up cardboard etc, maybe making some brickets.
    just a simple guy

This one looks like it might be useful eBay 181952514029.
    just a simple guy

I would buy secondhand. Lots of small businesses invest and when closing the business the capital loss has been carried. Even 15 hp is a toy. Big enough for your requirements but in the untrained, eager to make money tree monkey world they get hammered with oversize wood. Willow isn't the best chip wood for mulching. It can strike just laying on the ground. Even worse if chickens dig it in. I would gather in bushels. Tie up with willow whip and store to dry. Burn freely on a open fire at your leasure. If your wasting so much look for a outlet. River authority. Windrow it and let it compost over years. Keep adding top weight of willow. Then roll over top fill and plant veg straight into ground. I have a willow coppice I planted 7 years ago. Must be 15 to 20 foot high now. What species have you planted?
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Three types of willow two sailx viminalis one from Yorkshire willow doing well after 5 years one from random seller on eBay not doing well (weak rooted, willow Beatle) and q83 hybrid only in second year do don't know yet, chicken litter would be undercover on compacted ground so wouldn't set I don't think but I could store it before I chip it, I will burn most of it but a mix of willow and other stuff from the hedges should be a useful resource for me.
    just a simple guy

Sure, if your chickens are confined they will eat any regrowth. If free range they will spread it better than the wind. A mate had some in a field. They grew from the field gate all the way up to the fire pit. Day by day bits would fall from the truck along the bumpy tack. Each time the vehicles drove over them or the horses nibbled off the growing tips. The willows grew back. Each time more rubbery than the last. Some you could bend flat, twist and tie in a knot and no harm would become of them. The root takes advantage of moisture. I've put green willow sculptures and willow wood turnings with some bark still in tact, on the landing carpet of a house staircase. The things sprouted leaders, buds and leaves. Eventually drying out with central heating. I placed a log beside a solid fuel Rayburn range that was outside my wagon. The log grew into a tree, it's been through two huge seperat wagon fires and backened by flames both times. It's a bigger tree today than its ever been. If the bark can make contact with the soil it has a chance. We never use willow in hedgelaying for stakes for that reason.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

I'm not expecting too much trouble with chipped willow but I know it's potential that's the main reason for using it in the first place not all of the cuttings I planted properly took, but if it turns out some of the chips are too big and hold enough moisture for potential regrowth I'll store it for a while in dumpy bags under cover until it drys,I was expecting to mix it with other species to make a more nutritional mulch/compost so drying it out a bit first was the plan but time will tell.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Good money to be made selling 6 inch,x1l2 " sticks in small bundles as rabbit chews ! I kid you not

The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, cricket, Offgrid hero, patchypete

Holy shit that's my new thing
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, cricket, ma bungo

I know some one that does it

I know some one that does it
    How popular is such an enterprise ?
    just a simple guy

I'm not expecting too much trouble with chipped willow but I know it's potential that's the main reason for using it in the first place not all of the cuttings I planted properly took, but if it turns out some of the chips are too big and hold enough moisture for potential regrowth I'll store it for a while in dumpy bags under cover until it drys,I was expecting to mix it with other species to make a more nutritional mulch/compost so drying it out a bit first was the plan but time will tell.
    I got involved with the community biomass fuel heating incentive. Chipped willow fueling community based heating projects. From, growing, transport of, storage and burning appliances. It was thought at the time chips would need to be dry stored and of a universal chip size. The take up for the chipped product was slow and problematic. Chips stock piled and climate controlled drying storesstores were soon full. Some just piled surplus. The following year they found that which was just heaped up uncovered developed a crisp over the pike, but the chips inside were still in perfect condition for the intended use. Thus saving x= on potential storage facilities. Try various methods of storage, see what works best for your set up.

Rabbit/pet chews are a good idea. Years ago I was involved with community charcoal making projects. We Found there's a market for artist "willow" charcoal sticks. So before we burnt a kiln for BBQ charcoal. We gathered some of the thin "useless" williow branches. Size varying from a drinking straw thickness up to a markerpen size. We would boil and simmer bundles of these mixed willow branches in a old tin bath over a log fire for 24 hours. Then we would strip the bark of of each branch with a traditional invention. (Steel bar) driven into a tree stump with a "V" split down the length of the steel bar. Holding one end of a pre soaked willow branch, pull-drag the willow branch through the V to remove bark easier. This is what is referred to as "stripping the willow" after doing this. We bundle up the stripped willow, bind with a willow whip & lay them on top of the wood placed in the charcoal kiln just before closing up the lim and burning. Good quality artist charcoal is quite expensive to buy. A good test fir quality is to hold a piece between two fingers and flick the charcoal stick with a finger end. The more metallic the ring, the better the quality and desirability for artists.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, ma bungo, Offgrid hero

I think selling long whips in a kit with a plan to make structures is a good idea domes etc
    just a simple guy

How popular is such an enterprise ?
    They do it as a side line , they have an on line pet shop .

I think selling long whips in a kit with a plan to make structures is a good idea domes etc
    Except they need to be green and if they are required to grow when planted. Living sculpture, Need cutting moments before collecting is best.
    Another market is selling binders (Etherings) for hedgelaying. I pay between 11p and 20p per pole. 12 to 18 foot length, 3/4" to 1 1/2" but diamond. very minimum side branching so densely grown.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket

instead of chipping all your small willow might I sugest a technique favoured in eastern europe, choping it into chunks, anything fom 3-6" long, then drying it for the fire, they shovel it into there log burners like coal, have a watch at this bit of kit

enjoying life in the "slow"lane
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Offgrid hero