THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Recluse

Would you like to be invited to one?

We are happiest when we are in the caravan with the dogs and nowhere to go. I am constantly trying to think of ways I can earn a living without leaving the Airstream.

When I get my piece of land I will set it up so there is little need to leave unless we are on an adventure.

One thing I do love is going camping. Every few weeks I disappear off into the woods with a couple of friends, we cook on an open fire, have a few drinks, talk bollocks and sleep out under the stars and then I cycle home again.

The other thing I like doing is cycling with friends on a Saturday morning. We do a 30 mile off road loop and then have coffe and bacon baps

Paul
    PⒶUL

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd View Post
    Pre-empt their invitations to eat out by inviting them to eat in. Get them to turn their phones off.
    Easier said than done..i do cook for them in their own homes occasionally but my one friend likes to wear expensive restuarant bills like badges of honour...as for turning off their phones, from the expressions of horror you may as well have insisted on them disconnecting the life support machine of a loved one.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 31-01--2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, ma bungo, Miss_bee

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    ..as for turning off their phones, from the expressions of horror you may as well have insisted on them disconnecting the life support machine of a lived one.
    I get this. Friends that whine you dont see them enough then sit in silence on their phones when you *do* muster up the energy to see them. It's a good job I can enjoy someone's company without talking to them much.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, NomadicRT

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Easier said than done..i do cook for them in their own homes occasionally but my one friend likes to wear expensive restuarant bills like badges of honour...as for turning off their phones, from the expressions of horror you may as well have insisted on them disconnecting the life support machine of a lived one.
    The phone thing !!! I very rarely go out , I think the same as NRT, that I could cook it better and cheaper my self in a more comfotable enviroment where the I can afford the cider to flow , last year I was cadgoled into going to a resteraunt with Bungo and about 20 work colleuges , we arrived a bit late as it was far away , and the food had started to be served and some people were eating and texting at the same time , which I thought a bit rude . As soon as everyone finished out came the phones ! Every one except us whipped one out and started showing each other their photos / selfies , even couples showing each other photos . WTF! I was not impressed , what happened to conversation , even talking shit is better. We were the first to leave . I do not even own a mobile phone and it was not jealousy that made me leave .
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, Miss_bee, nicklincs, Wulfie

Regarding phones, generally visitors to my bus of similar age to me will get their phones out to see if I can charge them whereas the younger generation are totally preoccupied with the things , older peeps tend to just take calls from mutual friends asking whereabouts , occasionally boss/client and kid calls, all perfectly acceptable in my opinion (I will often kill any music and step away / outside if I know it may be of a delicate nature ) , but people just inanly tapping away at facefuck i usually ask them to put it away (my daughters are prime examples).
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    You know what? I am always asking myself this question. In all seriousness I had an aunty and a grandmother who never left the house for years. Although the name of the condition escapes my mush of a brain right now I always question my motives for living way outside of box.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

On the point of mobile phones, there are times when I feel more 'on my own' than usual and one of those times is when driving through towns where I see idiots with mobiles stuck to their ears or texting walking along and I sometimes wonder is it me or are they just sad bastards. Most amusing is up north when looking out the van window you see peeps walking round holding their phones in the air trying to get a signal.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    On the point of mobile phones, there are times when I feel more 'on my own' than usual and one of those times is when driving through towns where I see idiots with mobiles stuck to their ears or texting walking along and I sometimes wonder is it me or are they just sad bastards. Most amusing is up north when looking out the van window you see peeps walking round holding their phones in the air trying to get a signal.
    looking for signal here in deepest wiltshire is common but usually the grockles like to put that down to the crop circles , but another aspect is the pesky pokemons, I kid you not I have watched peeps chasing emup the ridgeway and heard of people hunting them at Avebury in the stone circle !!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    know a chap with two state of the art phones on different networks, he is always skint balliffs etc. but maintains these phones, still spose he can always ring his self if he gets lonely
    The following users think this post is groovy: cartman, essexcamper, itinerant child, Miss_bee, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wandering gypsy View Post
    know a chap with two state of the art phones on different networks, he is always skint balliffs etc. but maintains these phones, still spose he can always ring his self if he gets lonely
    He could always not answer and pretend he is not there too !!!!
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Miss_bee, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    The contract on my phone ran out last year, and I didn't bother to renew it, don't miss it all
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, ma bungo

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle jhad View Post
    The contract on my phone ran out last year, and I didn't bother to renew it, don't miss it all
    I had one back in the 90s for work , getting rid was liberating

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmadilemma View Post
    ... I thought for years that going to the pub was great, until I stopped drinking, when I realised its actually really dull..
    That is really interesting , so thank you, emmadilemma. Not ever having tried alcohol until I was in my late fifties I have never developed a taste for it. I have been to pubs with friends and colleagues after work, gradually overcoming my conditioning from childhood, so when I was trying to deal with coming out I made myself go to a local gay pub every week for two years. I thought it would be a good place for finding someone to chat to. I was bored to tears, being too nervous to initiate conversation and no one spoke to me. The bar manager managed to remember what I liked and always asked me if I wanted "the usual". That was the extent of my social interaction. It was horrible.

I won't go to the nearest pub to my mooring either, a few miles away, because the people in there are genuinely scary. The last time I went was to help a friend celebrate his 65th birthday. I was the only one of the twenty he'd invited who showed up and the pub was full of leery geezers shouting over each other. Their wives and girlfriends, I assume, had gone outside to sit round the table, smoke and chat. I stayed as long as I could, way beyond my comfort time and eventually bade my friend farewell. As I came out of the door, one of the women called out to me and several of them joined in asking my name, where I lived and lots of other personal questions ... I was really uncomfortable in the face of such an inquisition, but also felt very strongly that I should not give anything away. At the same time I didn't want one of them to be able to accuse me of being rude, so I acknowledged them and gave a couple of noncommittal answers. I felt that they were working up towards being able to accuse me of something that they would then be able to get their men to come outside and sort. This fear was not without justification. I knew enough stories about some of the men from my friend. I apologised and said I had to go and wished them a nice evening. I was so upset by this intrusive encounter that I took an eighteen mile detour to avoid my van or my direction home being noticed.

Why would I want to be with people when so many of them are so unpleasant in their predatory gangs?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, Lonesomestranger, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, Uncle jhad, Wulfie

lone wolf survivalist.
    don't bother going to The Lizard in Cornwall if you need a mobile phone signal, cos their isn't one, the whole of The Lizard is a dead zone.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

My son and his wife are glued to their phones..the last time i saw them when they visited me,they both sat down and got the phones out..i took their 2 kids into the garden to look for beasties in the wood pile...dont think i actually spoke to them at all on that visit..me and the kids had fun tho lol xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, ma bungo, marshlander, Miss_bee, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbomama View Post
    My son and his wife are glued to their phones..the last time i saw them when they visited me,they both sat down and got the phones out..i took their 2 kids into the garden to look for beasties in the wood pile...dont think i actually spoke to them at all on that visit..me and the kids had fun tho lol xx
    I think it's the height of the ignorance when everybody is glued to their phones...I am guilty as charged I must've met I do remember the good old days when you could go out on the morning without your mobile phone because they were invented and you could have a worry and stress free day if you want to know are you friends were just drove past a couple of your friends houses to view found a large collection motorbikes outside and you knew where they were it was simple

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, NomadicRT

Its not just the faraway preoccupation with whats going on in the little box that annoys me....enter the cursed selfie ritual.No one can begin anything without a selfie or group selfie then the food comes along and everyone has to take photos of the food and post it on facefart,similarly the sweet has its own photo debut then another group selfie...fuck off and eat the damn meal FFS.
    Im afraid im not terribly patient with rudeness and ignorance where phones are involved and ive often just left friends homes quietly and returned home...then of course im berated for being rude and mardy for going home...oh well...acquire some fucking manners.

I find it ironic that phones have supposedly aided our ability to communicate and be sociable....only to kill stone dead the art of real time conversation with real people in the same room.
    Ill be the first to admit im a techy nerd i love all the modern technology we have but I also resent it for how its turning people into zombies and think how great it would be if suddenly we had to go back to walking two miles to the nearest phone box.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, ma bungo, Miss_bee, nicklincs, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    I never wanted a mobile-phone, but when me and queer-one split up she got me one on contract so I could stay in touch with my daughter (that didn't work either). The bloody thing takes your life over, glad it's gone now
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Going off at a tangent, it saddens me so much to see mums dragging a little tot along, whilst the mums face is stuck to her phone.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, essexcamper, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by essexcamper View Post
    I live in a motor home on a driveway. Sometimes if not working I dont go outside all day and i love it. I never seem to have enough time to myself. I have good internet and electric hook up, cctv to see if anyone outside. It seems like a chore to go out to see people. Do others feel like this or am i becoming a recluse....
    Oh my word
    I could spend an eternity being by myself, reading stuff online or books that interest me- learning and just being by myself.
    I very seldom get bored - that just is not a word in my dictionary there are so many things to do and learn.
    I do indeed have a partner and although we are both content... i reckon he could perhaps do with a little more input from me sometimes Im not sure have to ask him on that one.

I can go for hours without saying a word - rare i know for a woman.
    But I dont think you are alone in this lifestyle... reclusive people tend to be out the box thinkers, They are the game changers in life.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Strangely Lonesome Lonesomestranger's Avatar
    Blimey.
    I go off and do my own thing for a few hours and the thread goes mad! I thought all you people would be off doing your reclusive hermit type stuff? Guess that was just me then!
    There's a certain irony about this thread being quite popular don't you think?
    It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, essexcamper

Quote Originally Posted by essexcamper View Post
    I wouldn't say worry, but i have friends that are bored if not out n about all the time. I feel like they all want part of my time but theres never enough time for me and feel exactly the same as you do.
    You have friends ? bonus!

lone wolf survivalist.
    the more I learn about people the more I want to be alone.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, junkmayle, marshlander, Miss_bee, nicklincs, Sootyfoot, ursus