THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do people do it?

Sex
    Male

How do people do it?

Sitting here reading a few blogs and UKH and keep on reading about how people are off for xx months going round Europe, UK etc in their vans, and I wish them all the very best.

But, how do they do it?

Ive just worked a 60 hour week in a job i hate with workers i despise with every cell in my being, and have 10 in my wallet after bills. (is this Karma for being so hateful?)

Ok, I am in debt, and every spare cash goes to chipping away at that, but even without that there is no way i could afford a month off going somewhere.

I don't smoke, don't really drink much and certainly don't spend cash on clothes and fashion. Yes i worry about the future and being honest have never had the bollox to just say "F**k it and go grab life, perhaps I should, but then the worries start......

Any advice gladly received.
    The trouble is, you think you have time.

The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, naturalspirit, Offgrid hero

One life, live it
    Sex
    Male
    Get a job that earns you more money and gives you flexibility. I clean windows, when I work I earn around 30 an hour and I choose when I work and when I don't
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Ecobob, nicklincs, Petew

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Move into a van. What you have to remember is, once you have the job, the boss or anybody from work won't expect to come over to your house.
    If you sort out a street/postal address before you go mobile, you will be fine in the address respect.
    How much is your rent and bills? Imagine if you still had that money, but didn't have to pay out?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Petew

Wake up, are you in control of your life or are you being controlled, 60 hours a week in a job you hate with people you despise, your life sure sounds fun, and all just to pay your debts.

Open your eyes and really wake up, look around you and get out of the bubble.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, itinerant child, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Petew, ThreeMoons, wandering gypsy

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Consolidate all your debts into one oversea's move
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: candpdoyle, dollybassett, Ecobob, Lennie, Petew, ursus

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Petew
    Ive just worked a 60 hour week in a job i hate with workers i despise with every cell in my being, and have 10 in my wallet after bills. (is this Karma for being so hateful?)

Ok, I am in debt, and every spare cash goes to chipping away at that, but even without that there is no way i could afford a month off going somewhere.
    Sort the debt problem first, then look for a better job. You will be glad you asked!

I don't smoke, don't really drink much and certainly don't spend cash on clothes and fashion. Yes i worry about the future and being honest have never had the bollox to just say "F**k it and go grab life, perhaps I should, but then the worries start......

Any advice gladly received.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Petew

Sort the debt problem first, then look for a better job. You will be glad you asked!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Petew

Sex
    Male
    Make some changes bro, unshackle yourselves.. Nothing in your pockets but hopes and dreams that's the way to live .. Freedom!.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Ecobob, etherea, itinerant child, ma bungo, NomadicRT, Petew

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Make some changes bro, unshackle yourselves.. Nothing in your pockets but hopes and dreams that's the way to live .. Freedom!.
    A big amen for that
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Sex
    Male
    Are you living alone or do you have a partner and/or children?

Paul
    PⒶUL

You may of seen my posts over the months. I was drowning in business debts and I couldnt see way out. I was working full time with over time like yourself for 5 months and didnt see a penny it all got swallowed.

I was a breaking point mentally. I had already started getting my van ready for converting 300 transit and 8 weeks graft once I was getting normal hours.

My credit file is a wreck so do you what. Fuck it! (Pardon my bad language). I have every intention of paying everything back. I'm just going to do it on my terms. I am going to live life in my freedom van 😊 I'm going to start doing all the things I stopped over the past couple of years.

I also whilst I'm a single bloke refuse to live in a house now until I'm ready (if ever).

Its taken 3 months in my van to finally be able to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. But from next payday things will be changing fast!

Currently I'm back on 55 hour weeks until I bank some cash and I'm saving 500-700 living costs (what I would of spent on a crumby bedsit or house).

Only you can make your situation change.

Sex
    Male
    Are the debts your main expense? I would hope so if you only have a tenner left from a 60 hour week.
    Is there any way your cost of living could be reduced or do you have any assets you could sell to offset the debt?
    You may be surprised what you could sell on ebay or gumtree or local facebook items for sale pages. If you have things you don't really need then you could be sitting on a small fortune.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, etherea, Lightbringer, nicklincs, Petew

Also it might be worth checking what your debts are and thinking about wether taking a hit on the old credit file is worth more than your health and sanity.

Just google Karōshi

I've just had a call with the bank. After a 6 month affordability plan I have consolidating an overdraft and a business loan into one 50/monthly payment. I was paying 150/month on the loan alone. The overdraft has been overdrawn since the day I started my business. So taking a hit on the credit file is saving me 200+/month and reducing my stress worries considerably. I will be paying over a longer term but it means a 3rd of my debtors (in monetary terms) are happy and I can work on the others.

The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Petew, ThreeMoons

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by aman
    Are you living alone or do you have a partner and/or children?

Paul
    With a partner, to make matters worse she is unemployed so more stress.

Turning On
    Sex
    Male
    I also have a job I hate and work colleagues I immensely dislike,causing depression and anxiety.Thank gawd its all coming to an end next year when I retire and we move.Then hopefully we'll be going off to Europe in the van for a couple of months at a time.Reading various posts on this forum has helped empower me to make it until retirement. (Honestly !)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lennie, Petew

Sex
    Male
    Yes all the debts are the main outlay and yes I am slowly digging my way out. Done the ebay and car boots although still have more. Can't move on anywhere yet as mother in law is not in the best of health and really need this roof for a while.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    Consolidate all your debts into one oversea's move
    Strangely enough that may be on the cards in a few years time.

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    you have asked for advice , but seem to have already made your mind up , several years back my brother bought a lease on a off licence near the curry house centre in brum I said he was taking a big chance he turned to me and said ...whats the worse that could happen I end up like you .... I was on the dole rent payed had a car, he was right the worst in the uk is dhss and a crap bedsit , take a chance.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Sex
    Female
    I found,as i was on "a casuals contract"that when i moved 20 miles further away from my base at the time,i was working to fund going to work!petrol,lunches etc,so gave it up,im now waiting on money from my boat sale,which will hopefully set me up again to fund working at what i like to get a few pennies to live in the future...xx

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by WREKAGE
    you have asked for advice , but seem to have already made your mind up , several years back my brother bought a lease on a off licence near the curry house centre in brum I said he was taking a big chance he turned to me and said ...whats the worse that could happen I end up like you .... I was on the dole rent payed had a car, he was right the worst in the uk is dhss and a crap bedsit , take a chance.
    My priorities are first to the family, it would be easy to walk away, but yes I want to pay the debts off, and know that it will not be an easy ride. After that I don't know, may look at abroad, travel etc, but still need money.

Transcending
    Sex
    Female
    I think these sorts of things come with time, everyone's situation is so different. Once you've paid debts off you'll have all that money available to save to go abroad, a different job might come up in the meantime that means you'll be happier whilst you wait for the change to come, your partner might be able to get a bit of work at some point, and so on. I think knowing you want things to be different is the first step, it just sometimes means you have to wait a while for it to happen! Maybe look on it as training, if you're used to managing on quite a small amount of money and going without luxuries then doing Europe on a shoe string won't be as difficult for you as it would be for someone who's used to having a lot of spare cash and suddenly finds themselves having to manage on very little.

I've not been able to do a lot of the things I've wanted to due to caring responsibilities and it does get me down sometimes but I do what I can, I'm still hoping to be going off to the wide blue yonder one day and I think the good thing is you will appreciate it so much more when/if the opportunity does come. If I'd travelled when I was younger I'd have just been drunk all the time and probably only done the 'obvious' travelling that all the tourists do. Being older means if I do get the chance I'll be much more interested in the history and culture and will savour it a lot more because I'll have waited so long to do it
    And I like reading travel books and books about other people's adventures, it means I'm living it in my mind
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, FriedOnion, Miss_bee, Petew

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by GivingItThought
    I think these sorts of things come with time, everyone's situation is so different. Once you've paid debts off you'll have all that money available to save to go abroad, a different job might come up in the meantime that means you'll be happier whilst you wait for the change to come, your partner might be able to get a bit of work at some point, and so on. I think knowing you want things to be different is the first step, it just sometimes means you have to wait a while for it to happen! Maybe look on it as training, if you're used to managing on quite a small amount of money and going without luxuries then doing Europe on a shoe string won't be as difficult for you as it would be for someone who's used to having a lot of spare cash and suddenly finds themselves having to manage on very little.

I've not been able to do a lot of the things I've wanted to due to caring responsibilities and it does get me down sometimes but I do what I can, I'm still hoping to be going off to the wide blue yonder one day and I think the good thing is you will appreciate it so much more when/if the opportunity does come. If I'd travelled when I was younger I'd have just been drunk all the time and probably only done the 'obvious' travelling that all the tourists do. Being older means if I do get the chance I'll be much more interested in the history and culture and will savour it a lot more because I'll have waited so long to do it
    And I like reading travel books and books about other people's adventures, it means I'm living it in my mind
    Thanks, good post and gives me something to think about.

The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

One life, live it
    Sex
    Male
    Go big on the Positive Thinking side of things. Lots of good stuff on the internet, your head needs constant positive re-inforcement. The dark thoughts are always lurking.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Petew

Turning On
    Sex
    Male
    You'll be allright.

It took me few years to pay my debt off. I could do it quicker propably, but I've decided that I still want a life. So no fancy holidays or going to restaurants, but visiting friends abroad and occassional takeaway - yes.

If you can afford to do it, don't save on food. Again, I don't mean "eat lobsters and truffles every day", but avoid eat cheapest crap, tesco value ready meals and so on. You can actually save a fortune if you'll cook from scratch - especially when your partner is unemployed, she (or he) will feel better being able to chip in as well, and you will both get healthier, which will also help for your health and good mood.

I was having a hard time for several years, as I've been studying without any student loans or anytihng and had to support myself, then I had to pay off a few grands of debt I graduated with. My partner was also unemployed for several months, then I was out of job for some time, in the meantime i was freelancing and doing casual jobs, but the numbers in red, sometimes quicker, sometimes slower, sometimes few steps back, were getting smaller.

As for jobs, I don't want to give you advice, as I don't know what you do, but ask yourself the question: should you be able to get another job at similar pay if you quit your current one? It is actually much easier in low-end jobs, if the worst happens you could always get a job in McDonald's to survive.

Of course when I was really at the edge, I was not risking. But when I had some margin, I was changing jobs - and it always worked somehow. As one of my favourite book character Good Soldier Svejk used to say (sorry for bad translation): I don't know how it will turn out, but it will surely turn out somehow. It is unheard that it would not turn out at all". So as soon as you get off the ground, if you can take the ristk, ditch that stupid job and something will come around.

My last job change was when I still had some significant debt. I hated my job, and I tried to get another one. It took ages to get a response from the new place, and when it finally came negative, I told to myself "fuck it, I can't stand being here any longer" and handed my notice. A brilliant job came on my last day at old work. And it even turned out to be better moneywise (although not so good as the one I tried to get before).

Fast forward few months, I paid everything last Decemeber, so for the first time in years I start new year by being absolutely debt free and I love it. The feeling is great, the freedom is brilliant. But, well, spoiler alert. I still cannot afford to go to Europe for months. But despite having no debt, my life style did not changed. I still don't splash money around. I still cook from scratch. I still don't go out to fancy restaurant. Yes, I bought a few items I wanted, but nothing fancy. And so all the money in the month that I used to pay my debts off are now being saved. And (keep your finger crossed) in couple of months I will be on the market for a van to convert it to camper.

And remember: don't worry. If you can do something, then do it instead of being worried. If you cannot do anything, then being worried won't change it. There is a Polish saying "miej wyjebane, a bedzie ci dane" which translates roughly to "Those, who don't give a fuck are rewarded in life". I've decided to live by it, and it works!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lennie, NomadicRT, Petew

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    in short, get off your arse and do it, nobody will or can do it for you
    The following users think this post is groovy: andyvw, ma bungo, NomadicRT, Petew