Thread: Leisure Battery Question

Leisure Battery Question

I want to make a quick decision on a leisure battery

I've got a 250w panel

Not arranged any wiring mppt or split charge yet...

Considering going for this gel agm -
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mainly to save on maintenance and for safety piece of mind.

What are people's views on this?

Or maybe I should just get a cheaper standard one.

Right now I don't have much to power... just lights

I'd like to order asap.. so looking for wise words this afternoon.

I dont want to throw loads of money at this unnecessarily.

looks very good to me , if you get it let us know how it performs.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Xplorer™ 130 ah 4yr warranty, 99.99. Apart from the venting it's a third cheaper and more warranty. I'm interested to hear what other folks have to say / use as I need to replace the wheelchair batteries (freebies) I've got on my van for the leisure side.
    Not all who wander are lost

I have this one.

I'm happy with it although it's my first gel leisure battery & nothing to compare it with other than wet batteries. With this gel I do feel much happier handling it. Not that I have to do it often. But it is behide the passenger seat. So better / less hazardous in a collision. I'm in the process of fitting a digital battery monitoring display that can monitor upto 3 x batteries or banks of.

Heavenly Creature
    It's about time we did this.

Any thoughts on this one?

Uses would only be LED lights and charging phones, maybe a DVD player.

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    It's about time we did this.

Any thoughts on this one?

Uses would only be LED lights and charging phones, maybe a DVD player.
    I'd not bother with that small a capacity just as well save up a little longer for a bigger one.
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    What would be a good capacity then? Small stuff will get charged whilst driving about too.

I wouldn't bother with anything less than 110 personally less chance of reduced life due to over discharge too.
    just a simple guy

The bigger the better on AHs also pending weight and two if possible.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    The bigger the better on AHs also pending weight and two if possible.
    This is true if you have the demand, the room and the weight allowance. I got this one off of local eBay. The guy had bought a brand new Mercedes motorhome and instantly upgraded his leisure battery. I bought it 7monthd pold for 45.

Transcending
    i found these on ebay yesterday... super cheap and super powerfull.. tried to research them but could only find some american company selling them ( new ) at approx $600 each.. !!.. found the manufactures website but they dont seem to do this model .. anyone come across them before ?

( 142139318595 )

“Used secondhand from data bank in top condition .these batterys are 6 volt,165/2 173 Ah

Transcending
    yeh you need 2 to make 12v system.. = 346 ah for 120 quid !!

Originally Posted by crazytim
    yeh you need 2 to make 12v system.. = 346 ah for 120 quid !!
    Not so, I'm afraid! You'll have 173Ah at 12 volts too.... You will have twice as many watt hours though... 6 x 173 = 1038 watt hours.... 12 x 173 = 2076 watt hours...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, crazytim

Transcending
    ah thanks for that info realnutter
    .. was wondering cus i was also looking at these ( forklift battery banks ) and they were only 345 ah

( 142261265128 )

or these at 450 ah

( 142245310331 )

both from the same company .. but different to the 1st !

Not Quite a Noobie
    Here in spain,an often being given scrap battery,i have noticed more people using the GEL OR A.G.M rather than lead acid,but the battery becoming unuseable just as fast,
    after reading many articles about the new style of batterys,it seems that thesee types of battery do not like being charged at more than 20% of there capacity in A.H (20amp charge for a 100ah battery).
    which is causing overheating an shortened cycle life.
    This means anyone connecting in paralell on a van will probably be charging at 40amps plus mayb even more if the starter battery is in good condition.
    Also here most people have a generator to charge on rainey days,running a battery charger that is desined to charge lead acid batterys,i recently had a client that was charging his GEL battery at 80amps,he cooked 2000 Of batterys before i pointed this out..
    Most of the new solar charge controllers have a setting for GEL OR A.G.M
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Originally Posted by taz.nod
    a generator to charge on rainey days,running a battery charger that is desined to charge lead acid batterys...
    I was going to do this as I havent access to light for solar just yet. SO I was going to get a 80 - 120AH leiusure battery and charge it with a genny. Is there a way of avoiding damaging the battery? Certain type of charger maybe.

Most chargers are auto-charge,they charge till the battery is fully charged then reduce to trickle or stop altogether and will be happy with lead or AGM.GEL .Most have a meter on to see when the battery is fully charged....unlike the old battery chargers you wont boil your battery dry.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Not Quite a Noobie
    Has your generator got a 12v charging port,normally 8 amp,this would be ok if your getting the gel battery,if not try an get a battery charger with about 20 amp charge max..

Not Quite a Noobie
    CTEK chargers are meant to be the ones to go for:

As per the original poster. If you only have one panel don't use an MPPT charger or it will only work when it's really sunny. You need to use a pwm charger for one panel, they're super cheap on ebay.

MPPT chargers need a large difference between the incoming and battery voltage, this can only be achieved with more than 1 panel.