THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My friend the Vegan..........

Sex
    Female
    Yeah thats how I would be.. although she has spoken at length about it with me, which I dont mind really but basically about how difficult it can be being vegan out and about, eating out etc and just generally running things past me, I never ever saw it as a way to try to make me feel guilty or convert me, it was just general chat about being vegan and I supported her and listened because thats what I do.. until very recently.

As you say, its like an ex smoker banging on and on.. noone is ever ready to make changes in their life when someone else is, its a personal time shift thing in themselves.

I am sure she will calm down in near future as she gets to grip with it all herself. I really love her as a friend and I wouldnt want to spoil the friendship... am also damn proud of her for making a very difficult change in her life, especially as she has four kids to juggle too..

I have days where I am vegetarian and dont eat meat.. so you could say I dip my toe in occasionally lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I see your point CT.You can still be passionate about something,without trying to control everyone else!Now if I was your vegan friend,I probably would'nt even mention the fact I had turned vegan,unless it was called for.(Example,you had invited me over for dinner).I would probably invite you over for vegan meal,but would'nt mention it was vegan,and let the food do the talking!
    I gave up smoking just over a year ago.I don't care if people smoke or not,thats their choice,but I would'nt allow folk to smoke in my own house.I did'nt tell anyone either I was giving up initially.People at work noticed I was'nt heading outside for my usual smoke with them,and I told them I was having a break from smoking.I still dont smoke,but my point is,I don't preach to all and sundry who smoke about giving up.A few people at work have mentioned to me recently they're giving up,and its no big deal to me.If they need support or advice from me,they'll ask me lol I guess really thats what your friend should do,wait until someone asks them about turning veggie/vegan,and if no one asks?Its no big deal.
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Sex
    Female
    Yeah I do that to CT,we sub two meat meals with veggie ones per week.Little steps I say!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    As Emma said, going vegan is like a eureka moment, you suddenly see things differently. You then quickly get frustrated that others didn't have that moment of clarity. I understand the comparison to smoking etc but it's not the same, you smoke you hurt yourself, you eat meat & hurt animals.

That said, shoving it down people's throats isn't helpful. Some people won't ever change, they'll just make excuses.

Vegan food is as varied as you want it to be, almost any meal can be made vegan, add in a few herbs or spices to make it extra interesting. Pure meat meals tend to rely more upon the flavour of the meat while vegetarian ones tend to be more varied, the same meal can be a dozen different things by changing herbs & spices then popping it in a wrap, a taco shell, with rice or anything else.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
    Tired? At your age? With your diet?

No stamina you veggies not getting enough iron see
    You do realise that you are on a veggie support forum? If you want to peddle misinformation, find a carnivore smug place to hang out.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Deleting offtopic posts again - everyone goes offtopic sometimes, but a bombardment of several irrelevent snappy posts in a matter of minutes just looks like clutter.

Behave yourself Roamer - and just read this, do as your told and don't respond please
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    You do realise that you are on a veggie support forum? If you want to peddle misinformation, find a carnivore smug place to hang out.
    Us carnivores arent all smug. I think each to their own, although personally i enjoy the taste of meat and i do eat it in one form or another every day. However, prompted by a post i saw in this section the other day about each family doing a bit and reducing meat consumption by a few hundred grams a year im going to do my small bit by saying that at least one day a month I'll have a meat free day.

Sex
    Male
    I'm actually amazed I've stayed vegan - it'll be 4 years this year and I seriously thought I was one of those people who couldn't go beyond vegetarian because of the way I lived.

Actually, even avoiding meat for 12 years amazes me at times, because I used to pretty much live on burgers, nuggets and kebabs

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I think it's becoming easier every year. Though last time I was in London I expected to find more options available, especially from the little bistro places.

Do you find you're cooking more now?

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedOnion View Post
    I think it's becoming easier every year. Though last time I was in London I expected to find more options available, especially from the little bistro places.
    It's definitely gotten easier in the last couple of years - being used to it helps, but the increase in options is definitely noticeable - I've even seen VS trademarked naan bread in Asda

Guess it depends on what you actually want to eat, but I don't think eating out in London is as easy as people imagine it to be - everything is quite spread out, so there is an element of travel involved and crossing London can often take as long as crossing the country!

Quote Originally Posted by FriedOnion View Post
    Do you find you're cooking more now?
    Not really - I was for a while, but tend to keep things really simple unless I'm entertaining.

Today I've mostly had soup

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Us carnivores arent all smug. I think each to their own, although personally i enjoy the taste of meat and i do eat it in one form or another every day. However, prompted by a post i saw in this section the other day about each family doing a bit and reducing meat consumption by a few hundred grams a year im going to do my small bit by saying that at least one day a month I'll have a meat free day.
    No, I realise this. To my mind carnivores are mistaken/in denial about the source of what they eat, but that is a different argument

I'm actually cross at myself for snapping at Roamer. She likely didn't reaise that she was in the veggie support area. It's very easy to drift into a conversation without knowing which part of the forums you are in, just from clicking on the active topics button. I've done it myself. I had a bad day yesterday and should have just scrolled on by.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    No, I realise this. To my mind carnivores are mistaken/in denial about the source of what they eat, but that is a different argument

I'm actually cross at myself for snapping at Roamer. She likely didn't reaise that she was in the veggie support area. It's very easy to drift into a conversation without knowing which part of the forums you are in, just from clicking on the active topics button. I've done it myself. I had a bad day yesterday and should have just scrolled on by.
    We all have bad days Maggie, and yes it's sometimes really hard to keep track of where ya are on a forum...confuses me no end....but then that ain't hard

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.