Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 25 to 39 of 39

Thread: My friend the Vegan..........

  1. #25
    Yeah thats how I would be.. although she has spoken at length about it with me, which I dont mind really but basically about how difficult it can be being vegan out and about, eating out etc and just generally running things past me, I never ever saw it as a way to try to make me feel guilty or convert me, it was just general chat about being vegan and I supported her and listened because thats what I do.. until very recently.

    As you say, its like an ex smoker banging on and on.. noone is ever ready to make changes in their life when someone else is, its a personal time shift thing in themselves.

    I am sure she will calm down in near future as she gets to grip with it all herself. I really love her as a friend and I wouldnt want to spoil the friendship... am also damn proud of her for making a very difficult change in her life, especially as she has four kids to juggle too..

    I have days where I am vegetarian and dont eat meat.. so you could say I dip my toe in occasionally lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I see your point CT.You can still be passionate about something,without trying to control everyone else!Now if I was your vegan friend,I probably would'nt even mention the fact I had turned vegan,unless it was called for.(Example,you had invited me over for dinner).I would probably invite you over for vegan meal,but would'nt mention it was vegan,and let the food do the talking!
    I gave up smoking just over a year ago.I don't care if people smoke or not,thats their choice,but I would'nt allow folk to smoke in my own house.I did'nt tell anyone either I was giving up initially.People at work noticed I was'nt heading outside for my usual smoke with them,and I told them I was having a break from smoking.I still dont smoke,but my point is,I don't preach to all and sundry who smoke about giving up.A few people at work have mentioned to me recently they're giving up,and its no big deal to me.If they need support or advice from me,they'll ask me lol I guess really thats what your friend should do,wait until someone asks them about turning veggie/vegan,and if no one asks?Its no big deal.
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

  2. #26
    Heavenly Creature Cobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Near Avebury!
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,343
    Yeah I do that to CT,we sub two meat meals with veggie ones per week.Little steps I say!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle

  3. #27
    Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,438
    As Emma said, going vegan is like a eureka moment, you suddenly see things differently. You then quickly get frustrated that others didn't have that moment of clarity. I understand the comparison to smoking etc but it's not the same, you smoke you hurt yourself, you eat meat & hurt animals.

    That said, shoving it down people's throats isn't helpful. Some people won't ever change, they'll just make excuses.

    Vegan food is as varied as you want it to be, almost any meal can be made vegan, add in a few herbs or spices to make it extra interesting. Pure meat meals tend to rely more upon the flavour of the meat while vegetarian ones tend to be more varied, the same meal can be a dozen different things by changing herbs & spices then popping it in a wrap, a taco shell, with rice or anything else.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle

  4. #28
    Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Ramtops
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
    Tired? At your age? With your diet?

    No stamina you veggies not getting enough iron see
    You do realise that you are on a veggie support forum? If you want to peddle misinformation, find a carnivore smug place to hang out.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul

  5. #29
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,952
    Deleting offtopic posts again - everyone goes offtopic sometimes, but a bombardment of several irrelevent snappy posts in a matter of minutes just looks like clutter.

    Behave yourself Roamer - and just read this, do as your told and don't respond please
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, Wulfie

  6. #30
    Comfortably Numb Rick69's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    You do realise that you are on a veggie support forum? If you want to peddle misinformation, find a carnivore smug place to hang out.
    Us carnivores arent all smug. I think each to their own, although personally i enjoy the taste of meat and i do eat it in one form or another every day. However, prompted by a post i saw in this section the other day about each family doing a bit and reducing meat consumption by a few hundred grams a year im going to do my small bit by saying that at least one day a month I'll have a meat free day.

  7. #31
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,952
    I'm actually amazed I've stayed vegan - it'll be 4 years this year and I seriously thought I was one of those people who couldn't go beyond vegetarian because of the way I lived.

    Actually, even avoiding meat for 12 years amazes me at times, because I used to pretty much live on burgers, nuggets and kebabs
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

  8. #32
    Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,438
    I think it's becoming easier every year. Though last time I was in London I expected to find more options available, especially from the little bistro places.

    Do you find you're cooking more now?

  9. #33
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,952
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedOnion View Post
    I think it's becoming easier every year. Though last time I was in London I expected to find more options available, especially from the little bistro places.
    It's definitely gotten easier in the last couple of years - being used to it helps, but the increase in options is definitely noticeable - I've even seen VS trademarked naan bread in Asda

    Guess it depends on what you actually want to eat, but I don't think eating out in London is as easy as people imagine it to be - everything is quite spread out, so there is an element of travel involved and crossing London can often take as long as crossing the country!

    Quote Originally Posted by FriedOnion View Post
    Do you find you're cooking more now?
    Not really - I was for a while, but tend to keep things really simple unless I'm entertaining.

    Today I've mostly had soup

  10. #34
    Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Ramtops
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Us carnivores arent all smug. I think each to their own, although personally i enjoy the taste of meat and i do eat it in one form or another every day. However, prompted by a post i saw in this section the other day about each family doing a bit and reducing meat consumption by a few hundred grams a year im going to do my small bit by saying that at least one day a month I'll have a meat free day.
    No, I realise this. To my mind carnivores are mistaken/in denial about the source of what they eat, but that is a different argument

    I'm actually cross at myself for snapping at Roamer. She likely didn't reaise that she was in the veggie support area. It's very easy to drift into a conversation without knowing which part of the forums you are in, just from clicking on the active topics button. I've done it myself. I had a bad day yesterday and should have just scrolled on by.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

  11. #35
    Radiant Being Sootyfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,657
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    No, I realise this. To my mind carnivores are mistaken/in denial about the source of what they eat, but that is a different argument

    I'm actually cross at myself for snapping at Roamer. She likely didn't reaise that she was in the veggie support area. It's very easy to drift into a conversation without knowing which part of the forums you are in, just from clicking on the active topics button. I've done it myself. I had a bad day yesterday and should have just scrolled on by.
    We all have bad days Maggie, and yes it's sometimes really hard to keep track of where ya are on a forum...confuses me no end....but then that ain't hard


    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

  12. #36

  13. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Thistle View Post
    My friend went from vegetarian to vegan ...

    She is developing into a complete and utter pain in the fucking arse!!!

    How do I cope with this.. ?
    If she's giving you a hard time & you're calling her a pain in the arse perhaps the best way for each of you to cope is to reconsider your friendship.

    I've been a vegan for 10 years & vegetarian for 35. As a vegetarian I encountered vegans (some friends) who made it plain my commitment to animal welfare was half-hearted. I found it annoying as you do, so I try not to pontificate. What's the point after all? People aren't stupid & realise eating meat involves mistreatment of & killing of animals - but it is a persons choice as to whether or not they're okay with that.
    It is a choice people make & they can't be bullied into doing so because that usually has the opposite effect. As for being a personal choice though I have to disagree (somewhat pedantically I admit); a personal choice is perhaps wearing a hat or not as it affects just that person. Eating meat affects other creatures and the consequences of that choice go beyond being restricted to the person making it.

  14. #38
    Thanks for your input Much appreciated

    I have to report that over last few weeks and since I posted this .. I have started to see things a little differently. I just lost my rag as I would do with anyone trying to bully me or make me feel bad for my own life choices and as you say, that usually has opposite effect.

    Having now been volunteering at MWC for almost 10 weeks now and being in a vegetarian/vegan kitchen most of the time I am learning about different aspects of foods that most of you would eat. I have even been brave and tried some of them lol .. infact, grown a fondness for Falafel (sp) lol.. however, it does come from a food source that is restricted in my diet because I have learned that these type of foods are not good for me and they do me no favours in the long run.. But a little on occasion is fine

    So.. is my tune changing.. who knows.. but in recent weeks I have eaten far less meat.. and if my course continues into vegetarian choices it will be through my own choice.. but my friends and others influence has certainly had a hand in that..

    But I still cant stand people who make others feel guilty for their choices.. lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
    If she's giving you a hard time & you're calling her a pain in the arse perhaps the best way for each of you to cope is to reconsider your friendship.

    I've been a vegan for 10 years & vegetarian for 35. As a vegetarian I encountered vegans (some friends) who made it plain my commitment to animal welfare was half-hearted. I found it annoying as you do, so I try not to pontificate. What's the point after all? People aren't stupid & realise eating meat involves mistreatment of & killing of animals - but it is a persons choice as to whether or not they're okay with that.
    It is a choice people make & they can't be bullied into doing so because that usually has the opposite effect. As for being a personal choice though I have to disagree (somewhat pedantically I admit); a personal choice is perhaps wearing a hat or not as it affects just that person. Eating meat affects other creatures and the consequences of that choice go beyond being restricted to the person making it.
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?

  15. #39
    Just one other thing, since you mention your 'fondness for falafel'!
    I became vegetarian when I was on a kibbutz in the early 80s. I worked in the vast (free range) chicken sheds collecting eggs, but got moved because I was unhappy with the abuse that the chickens suffered at the hands (& feet) of many of those working there. Chicken was the only meat available on that kibbutz so I gave up eating it & by default became vegetarian. Which meant mealtimes became basically just the veg which accompanied various chicken dishes. The exception was occasionally falafel when on offer & that became an obsession of mine - particularly if I went into any of the towns or cities (& i've yet to find tastier falafel wraps than were available from the Arab food stalls). Still amongst my favourite 'dishes' today despite the vast array of other foods available to vegetarians/vegans now.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •