THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: NEW MONEY is made with animal fat

Noobie

NEW MONEY is made with animal fat

question To: "Enquiries" <Enquiries@bankofengland.co.uk>

will the new 10 and 20 pound notes be suitable for vegans?

Wednesday, 25 January, 2017
    answer From: "Enquiries" <Enquiries@bankofengland.co.uk>

Hello

We appreciate this may not address all your concerns at this stage, but thought it was appropriate to provide you with the information we have at the moment.

We are aware of some people’s concerns about traces of tallow in our new five pound note. We respect those concerns and are treating them with the utmost seriousness.

This issue has only just come to light since the release of the polymer banknotes, and the Bank did not know about it when the contract was signed.

Information provided by our supplier, Innovia, and its supply chain shows that an extremely small amount of tallow is used in an early stage of the production process

of polymer pellets, which are then used to create the base substrate for the five pound note.

Innovia is now working intensively with its supply chain and will keep the Bank informed on progress towards potential solutions.

However, we will provide updates to the public as and when we can. I appreciate this does not fully answer your question, but at this stage I am afraid that this is

all the information available to us.

Kind regards

Public Enquiries Group

Bank of England

Nooooo Way!!! ....
    0mgossh......Animal Fat!!!! ....Thats Just Be Soooo Wrong(((((......Eeeeeek....And Soooo Mean Too (
    Form From The Void & Mists

If peeps aren't happy with handling the new money when it comes out just send it to me and I'll dispose of it for them in the sensible manner.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: orys, Sootyfoot

I dont understand why they had to use animal fat

- - - Updated - - -

Have they said what animal the fat is from?

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    It's used in lots of stuff - carrier bags, steel production, some candle making etc.

The Vegan Society definition of veganism (they invented the word so get the right to define its meaning):

"A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

So if the choice to avoid it isn't there, then the choice to avoid it isn't there - the only benefit I see to making a fuss is to raise awareness of how so much of our society is dependent on animal exploitation.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman

Whilst I do agree with the theory, I am a vegetarian and think that some things have just been taken too far. If I remember correctly, the current production of fivers uses something like the waste fat from half a cow for a year's worth of fivers and it's not an extra cow.

What about all the everyday things that have more animal fat on them individually than is used in the manufacture of the new fivers? What about all the cash handled by folk who work in the meat processing industry or have just had a full English or use the chip shop? Come to think of it, I wonder how many vegans and vegetarians buy the occasional bag of chips because, for the most part, they are not even vegetarian, let alone vegan?

It appears that 0.00007 grammes of tallow is used to make a new fiver, less than in a greasy thumbprint after a full English!

As an aside, how do vegans/vegetarians in general deal with shaking hands or kissing friends and relatives who are omnivores and what do they do when their neighbours have a barbecue in the garden?

I'm all for doing something to change peoples attitudes to animal products but let's do it where it can make some real difference, like persuading people to cut down on their personal/family consumption. If we could manage to persuade all our omnivourous friends to eat 500 grammes less meat per year, that would save one heck of a lot more animals than fighting over the 40 kgs of tallow from an already dead cow used in making fivers. Making a ruckus about the fivers only convinces omnivores that we are really all nutters and that we should not be taken seriously.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dragon View Post
    I wonder how many vegans and vegetarians buy the occasional bag of chips because, for the most part, they are not even vegetarian, let alone vegan?
    Typically with food I have the choice to eat or drink something else - with cash it's not so easy to refuse denominations of currency.

However, I'm undecided about my thinking in this area.

One one hand the thought of chips cooked in the same oil as fish makes me squick - however, the chips themselves are not contributing to animal exploitation, and by eating these chips (or whatever) it increases the demand.

So the dilemma is whether I get over my "ick" and eat the chips, or whether it's better to remain a purist and never go into such establishments.

With veganism, it's always important to remember it's not about me or my personal journey, it's about the animals and reducing the harm I do to them, even at my own inconvenience.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Can't say i'm that bothered by the new fivers though obviously i'd rather they didn't have animal fat in. I can't see the point of making a scene in a shop or refusing to accept one..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Typically with food I have the choice to eat or drink something else - with cash it's not so easy to refuse denominations of currency.
    <SNIPPED>
    With veganism, it's always important to remember it's not about me or my personal journey, it's about the animals and reducing the harm I do to them, even at my own inconvenience.
    A well considered response, thank you, and, as you can imagine, it raises all sorts of other related points.

For example, my understanding and agreement is that the whole concept of veganism is "do no harm to animals" but why is it a problem to have animal tallow in banknotes? After all, the tallow is a waste product from an already dead animal that's been killed to go on someone else's plate. Come to think of it the same waste product label is applicable to leather.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dragon View Post
    Come to think of it the same waste product label is applicable to leather.
    The leather and animal skin industry exists on its own merits.

It's more of a co-product than a by product and produced to meet consumer demand - the idea of "minimal waste" is incorrect as it's often more profitable than meat.

A bit like the fur trade, if everyone stopped eating cows I doubt very much they'd stop killing them for their skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The leather and animal skin industry exists on its own merits.

It's more of a co-product than a by product and produced to meet consumer demand - the idea of "minimal waste" is incorrect as it's often more profitable than meat.

A bit like the fur trade, if everyone stopped eating cows I doubt very much they'd stop killing them for their skin.
    Hi Paul, not sure how to untangle your reply, not because it's confusing but because it's complicated.

I do agree that the leather and skin trade exists today on its own (de)merits but would offer that it didn't start out that way. To be a bit silly about it, cavemen didn't wear mink coats per se but they did use the skins of the animals they killed for covering themselves. Things progressed from there as things societies developed. In just the same way as the consumption of meat rocketed once marketing was invented and people were persuaded that they really should eat meat 3 times a day. One of the main reasons why farming has become part of the food industry!

As far as I am aware, whilst some animals are actually produced for their skin, the majority are produced for the plate and what isn't eaten is then a nominal waste product to be used as best it can be. I believe this is the case with the majority of skins. At the moment, in the UK alone, some 2.6 million cattle, 10 million pigs, 14.5 million sheep and lambs are slaughtered for human consumption and I think that's why the co-trade has developed.

Your last sentence was the easy one as it didn't need untangling. I agree with you 100% and suspect that if that miracle happened a whole new breed of marketeers would be needed to "sell" the benefits of eating the "new" waste product - meat.

- Calvin+Hobbes