THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mushroom syndrome via the media

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cricket
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    yes it has BHuffy.
    By whom? How come we have known about it for years? Certainly, it hasn't caught the public's imagination, maybe because our populations are mostly urban and bees are just nasty stingy buzzy things that are like wasps. That only means that "we" have failed to educate oour populations, or maybe, and here's a subversive thought for you, democracy isn't the answer. Or again, there are just too many humans around and we need a cull (war, disease, etc). Or we should all be eating algae and living green. But despite the many evils of the world, I don't think that this particular news has been witheld, it just hasn't passed the popular taste test.

Who is 'we'?

Are you 'we'? Are you at fault? If you were given the freedom to write history would we be you or might you choose something else?

Who is 'we'? Does everyone share responsibility for the historical or royal 'we'?
    Last edited by zendaze; 07-02--2017 at 12:05 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Really ask yourself what is true, what is the truth is there any truth. There is no 'we', there is no 'I'. only delusion, some of us wake up to that and some of us don't.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT, zendaze

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    Really ask yourself what is true, what is the truth is there any truth. There is no 'we', there is no 'I'. only delusion, some of us wake up to that and some of us don't.
    If that is aimed at my comment above, the profundity of yours is wasted, unfortunately. There are straight questions to answer here, in particular, is there organised suppression of news happening right now? I would guess "yes", but perforce on a small scale in the "free world" , and are there channels through which "unpopular" news is reliably delivered, there I would guess "no". Clearly news is manipulated and selectively reported by a) the editorial attitude of news channels, informed by proprietor's and advertiser's attitudes b) suppression of reporting c) government control where applicable.

But I know of no "back doors" other than Wikileaks.

Of course we're lied to and manipulated,we always have been,news media manipulates us,advertising companies associated with the media manipulate us.Its nothing new.
    What is new is the degree to which we're now manipulated and news propagandised shamelessly by supposedly unbiased outlets of mainstream media in the US and Uk.Undoubtedly the worst here being the BBC who dont seem to even bother disguising their propagandist slant and simply ignore criticism of its actions like theyre selectively deaf.
    And their deliberate use of edited images to labour their point....this report being one example and the use of possibly the worst photo of Putin on the net.

if images are of no importance to the content why not use this or many other less sinister looking images

But then it doesnt suit the propagandist agenda does it.? Its getting worse than wartime Pathe news for its propaganda and agendised editing

Worse still,some of the traditional middle of the road 'liberal' media are now on the disinformation peddling bandwagon.They report only what suits their agenda and simply ignore and not report things that contradict their stance.Even their misogyny and traditional British bigotry are starting to come back.out in the open in news outlets as if this is ok because people are more overtly racist since the Brexit vote.Legitimising bigotry because its popular isnt a good way to be heading as a nation.The fact we and tge US are heading down the same toilet encouraged by the media is something we should all worry about.

To be honest i dont think there are any unbiased news outlets in the UK now,theyre all peddling the right wing Government line to one degree or another and that is not healthy for a supposedly democratic country.
    It matters not whether the population is split between left centre or right wing politics so long as there is healthy debate and criticism of all sides.When its skewed all one way both in Government and media and dissention and criticism is marginalised ridiculed or silenced weve pretty well lost our democracy.

Who then can we look to for non partisan news? difficult but there are plenty of unbiased non mainstream news aggregators on places like facebook and twitter you can turn to and who usually are careful to provide sources to back their news.
    I tend to use Al Jazeera a lot.I also use the Russian service of Tass which unlike Pravda tends to share news as it is, sans any rhetorical agenda.I use Reuters and Associated Press to find the news before its distributed via mainstream channels and adapted to their own ends.
    If youve time and patience its also worth dredging various embassy and military news sites because there are gems of information of what countries are up to hidden away on those that never make any news outlets.

Many of those sources may have their own bias but if you make a habit of looking at the news outlets and official sources of all those countries that have a major influence on our lives its possible to come to some conclusions somewhere in the middle and closer to the truth.

I think the answer is if you cannot rely on the supposedly ligitimate mainstream news sources for unbiased news (who these days peddle their own journalistic opinion as news) then you have to go search for it yourself and be astute enough to recognise fact from propaganda....its not difficult actually but the sad fact is its far too much for most people who prefer to be told how to think by the BBC and newspapers so they can get on with enjoying Xfactor and Coronation Street and all the other mindless shite that keeps us all anaesthetised so we dont go being troublesome naughty citizens and discovering the truth and getting angry about it.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 07-02--2017 at 06:48 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, dollybassett, marshlander, nomis, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, stinkypete1

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    If that is aimed at my comment above, the profundity of yours is wasted, unfortunately. There are straight questions to answer here, in particular, is there organised suppression of news happening right now? I would guess "yes", but perforce on a small scale in the "free world" , and are there channels through which "unpopular" news is reliably delivered, there I would guess "no". Clearly news is manipulated and selectively reported by a) the editorial attitude of news channels, informed by proprietor's and advertiser's attitudes b) suppression of reporting c) government control where applicable.

But I know of no "back doors" other than Wikileaks.
    Don't be so sensitive Bryn, it wasn't aimed at anyone, just saying it how it is.
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

onsecondthoughtswtf stinkypete1's Avatar
    One of the reasons I disconnected from mainstream news&media,
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Originally Posted by stinkypete1
    One of the reasons I disconnected from mainstream news&media,
    Its easy to.understsnd why most of us do but we should really be holding these assholes to account and mocking their inability to tell the truth.
    Its a real shame we dont have much in the wsy of harsh edgy comedy like Spitting Image around these days that really got up the noses of those in power.
    Dissent has quietly been closed down now.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, zendaze

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    Don't be so sensitive Bryn, it wasn't aimed at anyone, just saying it how it is.
    This thread has a Topic which is worth discussing and it isn't me.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Its a real shame we dont have much in the wsy of harsh edgy comedy like Spitting Image around these days that really got up the noses of those in power.
    The thing about SI was it was novel and those being lampooned often enjoyed it. This time around their solicitors might get more out of it.

Bring back satire! So say the oldies anyway. Maybe that's the problem, younger generations dont get it. Maybe they were brainwashed?

Bring back satirical lampoonery hurrah !! well theres nothing like a good dose of public himiliation to encourage a politician that he/she is an arse.

It has become about the you/we/ Bryn.......

You want to win Bryn.......there may be advice on offer but you wont contemplate it and will push your argument until respondants give up........which means you have won!

Well done Bryn!

Who is 'we' ?
    Last edited by zendaze; 07-02--2017 at 10:31 PM.

Maybe younger generations do get it .......maybe it is you/we who does'nt.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Just wondering why there's little of real interest on the news and to loosely sum up what they feed us and what we should be fed...
    Who is really behind the feeding of misinformation or are the media just interested in pandering to a salacious uncaring class who just bleat at the occurrence of deaths in their favourite soap until a real disaster comes calling then they'll just look to blame someone for not saying anything.
    Possibly the answer is to reconsider traditional methods. Until recently, "we", i.e. the population of the free world, have received our news through broadcast and print media. Nowadays, we have the whole
    at our fingertips, so if we want to know about any sort of news, it is likely out there somewhere. The price we pay is to search for it proactively instead of lying back on the couch, etc and having it spoon-fed to us. And the quality of journalism is rather variable. And a lot of it isn't true. But it has to be harder than ever to suppress or spin news these days.

Hence the proposed regulation of the internet and tiering the provision based on those who pay for their content distribution being easily accessible to all and those who cant afford to pay their content is buried somewhere in the ether....end of freedom of the internet.....so even if you go looking for news yourself youre not easily going to find it because of how youll be fed search results.
    Dont worry the establishment and mainstream media are thinking of everything to ensure we see the picture they want us to...theyre very considerate like that.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature

Hence the proposed regulation of the internet and tiering the provision based on those who pay for their content distribution being easily accessible to all and those who cant afford to pay their content is buried somewhere in the ether....end of freedom of the internet.....so even if you go looking for news yourself youre not easily going to find it because of how youll be fed search results.
    Dont worry the establishment and mainstream media are thinking of everything to ensure we see the picture they want us to...theyre very considerate like that.
    Nothing stays the same for long, it is best IMO to approach the future with a cheerful and open mind and accept the gift of opportunities when they arise.

Heavenly Creature

I think the answer is if you cannot rely on the supposedly ligitimate mainstream news sources for unbiased news (who these days peddle their own journalistic opinion as news) then you have to go search for it yourself and be astute enough to recognise fact from propaganda....its not difficult actually ...
    So do it, and forget about the mainstream media because you are not going to change them however much you detest them.

Nothing stays the same for long, it is best IMO to approach the future with a cheerful and open mind and accept the gift of opportunities when they arise.
    I do tend to do that but removing the freedom of the internet and regulating it in favour of those who pay for their content to be distributed at the expense of those who cannot, takes away the democracy that has thus far existed on the internet since its inception even if it does not exist in the countries it serves.
    Its placing distribution and the provision of information in the hands of a biased minority.Once its completely controlled by Corporates there will never be any going back.
    I dont see that as a concept worth embracing....its no different to the church in medieval times controlling knowledge through restricting access to books only to the privileged and which arguably stunted progress for centuries.Its no different to restricting Library content to those who can afford to pay.
    Weve seen already what having the media in the hands of 6 ? Corporations world wide has given us....a biased media system no one trusts or believes.That undoubtedly will be the ultimate fate of the internet.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

So do it, and forget about the mainstream media because you are not going to change them however much you detest them.
    I.do ....obviously you werent paying attention or you would have read what i do to seek out unbiased info.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Part of the game is to keep those of us not caught up in the pop culture/news web busy looking for answers and other points of view - in other words, too busy to make a real nuisance of ourselves. Finding information and then evaluating its usefulness is time-consuming, very time-consuming. I don't suppose I shall give up looking, but having to question everything I read is exhausting. It is also dispiriting when one is having to work to a timetable imposed by other parties having other interests and to rules of engagement that do not really exemplify truly democratic or fair gameplay.

Some of you may know that I am involved with a waterways campaign at the moment. I find myself having to check every little bit of information and all the time I am aware that in some cases I am at risk of errors or vulnerable to the effects of someone else's error. To be able to do this I am having to search for old documents (not at all easy in itself, specially without the academic background to know what I am doing); read, understand and evaluate the information contained therein; construct arguments and counter-arguments to the changes that are being proposed to alter my way of life. A large part of this involves dealing with the spin the opposition puts on the situation. I am up against a heavily funded organisation that has had years, legal support and funding to put its arguments together. I feel like I'm trying to wade through treacle simply to find the right people to whom I can present my arguments. When no acknowledgements, let alone answers, are forthcoming from the people whom our democratic processes have put in place to deal with these very issues it is very easy to be left wondering what the point of all this effort might be. All I can say is that I have to do it even if in the end they get what they want at the expense of the rest of us.

Yes I am interested in many issues, but I have to restrict my fights these days to the ones where I feel most driven to try and preserve what is worthwhile and what will make life better for the next generation. While climate change, bees, big pharma, mineral extraction, human rights, peace and heaven knows what else are important on a massive and life-preserving scale, I have to trust that there are others doing their bit to fight those battles, because at the moment I don't have the time or the energy to engage in every battle and on all fronts. Every one of the half a dozen new campaigns that come my way every day from the likes of 38 Degrees, Avaaz, Care2, Human Rights Watch, All Out and however many other organisations there are that have my e-mail address want my time and my money.

Life shouldn't have to be about fighting for fairness, but I suspect that history would show that life has always been about just that. There are times I wish I had taken more interest in history at school, but it was just one of many subjects that are intrinsically fascinating and that the system reduced to its most boring and safe expressions. There are times when I wish I had taken some kind of legal training and then maybe I would know where to look for answers and be able to understand the documents if and when I finally find them and read them. But I am where I am and I have only a few tools at my disposal and, to my knowledge, only one other person who is engaged and committed to this campaign to the same extent. If we win and the other side backs down, I daresay there will be many happy boaters willing to enjoy the results, but I suppose that is always going to be the case.

It is very easy to caricature an opposition, but how often does it feel that we are looking towards a better future for coming generations, while the power of stagnation is invested in those who stand to gain from or to hang to what they have now? Great campaigns have brought about great changes in times gone by. There is still so much to do. The opposition is a hydra that grows more heads for every one we dispatch. Of course they are going to keep us distracted - Tressell knew it, Orwell knew it - why wouldn't they?
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, NomadicRT, oddballdave, parrotandcrow, treestump

The journalism is, in my current experience, very biased.

Biased towards getting paid.

Most Newspapers have an online begging bowl out, because we the people are not paying for our news. So any article which can draw in readers, who can be bombarded with advertising is to be welcomed. Click bait journalism is growing.

As a cyclist, I read of the West Midlands police operation close pass scheme, encouraging 80+ drivers per day to be nicer on the road. I then read of the London police trialling the same system and calling out 3 drivers per day for four days.
    This seems at odds with the reported lousy driving in the Capital.

The click bait journalism comes from one journalist who quotes 'statistics' that pedestrians are getting mowed down on the pavement by lycra louts. The journalist appeared on Irish radio and a Green Party councillor ripped him a new one for lousy reporting. BUT over 2,000 cyclists had clicked on the article and left a message. No idea how many clicked, read and moved on. But in this age of pay per click income, the article was a raging success despite being incorrect in almost everything it said (apart from the authors name
    )

But when a group of people get together and make a big enough noise. It does get heard.

about to chase some more 'facts' to harass the local council with
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, treestump