THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How about this for a proposition?

One life, live it

How about this for a proposition?

Right, now this is the question for you

Given that you can rent a 3 bed house about 25 miles north of Cardiff for 69 a week

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why wouldn't three or more of you club togeather and get an "in bricks" base so you could

1 claim benefits , have a postal address, register with a doctor etc
    2 have a winter sanctuary / somewhere to go if ill etc
    3 store your gear
    4 Party with friends
    5 feel a sense of belonging but still be free

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Don;t live on the road any more(did for 20 years ) , but when I did , I would have said why ? I lived in the beautiful countryside , I didnt claim benifits, whats wrong with winter? I was partying way more than I could in a house , and I didn;t need to store gear .

Stupid question .

Why am I no longer on the road ? The money I saved , and meeting a new partner ment I could buy a small holding in a lovely place !

The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Ecobob, lincroft1710, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, treestump, Woodstock69, Wulfie

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Why would you ' feel a sense of belonging ' because you rented a house ? sorry , I missed that , as I was answering during the adverts of a film I was watching . A feeling of belonging to what ? I don't think I belong to anything , that is why I am free . I gave up on illusions a long time ago
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, etherea, lincroft1710, NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Bernie
    Given that you can rent a 3 bed house about 25 miles north of Cardiff for 69 a week
    Great thinking Bernie! That's 69 split three ways plus council tax you'd be hard pressed to run three vans on that sort of money.

From the property in question you have excellent walking, rail connections, buses near, easily accessible supermarkets, I'm almost tempted myself.

The ghosts of 100+ children who died on that terrible day in '66 make Aberfan a sad place though, I shan't go there, on second thoughts.

But the valleys are cheap and there are some great places to live. From mine I can walk or cycle for many miles "off-road".

Why would i want to put money in the pocket of a landlord so he can enjoy himself? why would i voluntarily want to pay money to a parasitic council to waste as they see fit while i get in return a shite and minimal set of mediocre services.Why would i want to pay several utilities their extortionate charges for the 'benefit'of receiving their services.? All that for the chance to 'feel like i belong' ... why ? why must i feel like i belong ?
    I owned a house for 25 years and a flat and have lived in several rented properties all over the country too and never once did i feel i 'belonged' or valued by any council,utility or landlord....or employer.
    I dont claim benefits,i dont need a property of my own nor a rental property to satisfy any legal or postal needs.I can rent a secure 40ft container -as i do- for 20 a month for storage.I can stay at friends if im ill... so why on earth would i want to rent a house and to cap it all, not have exclusive use of it for the perceived benefit of 'belonging', having a postal address and somewhere to share while being ill....maybe im missing something here.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: lincroft1710, ma bungo, nicklincs, Offgrid hero, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Why would i want to put money in the pocket of a landlord so he can enjoy himself? why would i voluntarily want to pay money to a parasitic council to waste as they see fit while i get in return a shite and minimal set of mediocre services.Why would i want to pay several utilities their extortionate charges for the 'benefit'of receiving their services.? All that for the chance to 'feel like i belong' ... why ? why must i feel like i belong ?
    I owned a house for 25 years and a flat and have lived in several rented properties all over the country too and never once did i feel i 'belonged' or valued by any council,utility or landlord....or employer.
    I dont claim benefits,i dont need a property of my own nor a rental property to satisfy any legal or postal needs.I can rent a secure 40ft container -as i do- for 20 a month for storage.I can stay at friends if im ill... so why on earth would i want to rent a house and to cap it all, not have exclusive use of it for the perceived benefit of 'belonging', having a postal address and somewhere to share while being ill....maybe im missing something here.
    You sound angry m8.

Where do I get a 40ft container for 20 a month, please? Last time I hired one it was 20ft and 110!

Well if nobody is using it and preferring to stay in their vans. Can I put a grow on? I'll throw in a shitkicking Christmas and New year party for all pneumatic homesteaders as their cut!
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: stinkypete1

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    You sound angry m8.

Where do I get a 40ft container for 20 a month, please? Last time I hired one it was 20ft and 110!
    You sound passive aggressive -quelle surprise - and ive rented the container for the last 3 years for 20 a month (East mids).

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Well if nobody is using it and preferring to stay in their vans. Can I put a grow on? I'll throw in a shitkicking Christmas and New year party for all pneumatic homesteaders as their cut!
    Pretty hefty electric bill for an empty house....or are you planning to bypass the meter ?

Pretty hefty electric bill for an empty house....or are you planning to bypass the meter ?
    I was actually thinking of stumping up the Leci bill myself. (Not to be too greedy) inorder to make the house look lived in and unapproachable to unwanted busy bodies, social services, the police and burglars. I would put up full size cardboard silhouettes of a large Muslim family giggling about just inside all the windows, suspended from the internal ceilings by lengths of string. Utilising the air blow from extractor fans to make them giggle and appear life like to anyone peering in through the windows. If I found the electricity meter smoking hot or to through the meter readers off the sent. I would get my Irish mates to open up the road outside and dog me a seriously thick cable (minus meter) into the street mains supply. The Christmas and New Year parties would really be banging.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Transcending
    Lack of jobs is the reason the rents are so low, but if you have a realistic idea for a business funding is often available.

Its way out of my way but my reason for not house sharing and living in my van is that I dont have to rely on other people anymore.

A set up like that it would stop suiting someone then the others will have to pick up the bill.

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, nicklincs, NomadicRT

Renting and managing a house can help you save money,i roughed it for 5 years in a cellar i converted,renting out the top rooms for a mate of mine,i worked hard,had the cheapest rent and managed to save up a deposit for my own place.
    It can work,i managed to get my mate back into positive credit on his house,paid off all his arrears too,so he made dosh when i moved out and he sold up.

Why is it whenever some posts an innovative idea the regular names that patrol this site try to put people off with long-winded messages full of every negative response they can think of ?

Originally Posted by Diddekoi
    Why is it whenever some posts an innovative idea the regular names that patrol this site try to put people off with long-winded messages full of every negative response they can think of ?
    maybe they were answering the original post using the benefit of experience ot maybe just personal taste,either way I dont see much positivity in your post .
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, NomadicRT

A 40ft container for 20 a month? Is anywhere really that cheap. If it is.. I would very much like to know where. Especially in the South Lincs/North Cambs area :-)

Originally Posted by Shroom
    maybe they were answering the original post using the benefit of experience ot maybe just personal taste,either way I dont see much positivity in your post .
    So by that reasoning, aren't you also being negative by mentioning it?

It doesn't take much research into this site to notice the same names cropping up with long-winded posts in which they attempt to cover every negative response they can find, even if it means contradicting themselves.

Innocent newcomers tend to either join in with them, or leave.

On a more positive note, I think the house share idea is good on almost every level.

Originally Posted by Diddekoi
    So by that reasoning, aren't you also being negative by mentioning it?

It doesn't take much research into this site to notice the same names cropping up with long-winded posts in which they attempt to cover every negative response they can find, even if it means contradicting themselves.

Innocent newcomers tend to either join in with them, or leave.
    Well amazingly this is actually a forum that has posts on that will by its nature invite comment and opinion -good or bad - Its up to the reader (you) whether you regard it as positive or negative.

Ive given my opinion from my experience as have others.If you want to see that as negative thats entirely your issue not mine/ours.
    If you see it as a clique of 'same names cropping up' maybe thats an insecurity of yours that you need to address but we're cropping up in threads regularly because we're always on here reading and commenting and take an interest in whats going on on the forum.

If you like the proposition, good for you, im not going to diss your opinion because it differs from mine nor moan about you or complain for you having said so.

...jesus on a bike whats the matter with people on this forum.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 15-02--2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: granmar
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Rick69, Wulfie

Originally Posted by r3ubs
    A 40ft container for 20 a month? Is anywhere really that cheap. If it is.. I would very much like to know where. Especially in the South Lincs/North Cambs area :-)
    There are actually 5 containers where mine is on a caravan storage facility all the same price and all taken ...maybe i should send you a photocopy of my direct debit.. but oh no of course im lying arent i thats it......do some searching through gumtree and preloved or put ads in the farming press like i did.

There are actually 5 containers where mine is on a caravan storage facility all the same price and all taken ...maybe i should send you a photocopy of my direct debit.. but oh no of course im lying arent i thats it......do some searching through gumtree and preloved or put ads in the farming press like i did.
    I'm not being critical or accusing you of lying. I spent ages searching for some storage so I'm genuinely interested, as I am paying a lot more than that for much smaller!

All this talk on containers brings to mind

sorry offtopic, I'll go back into my corner
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, NomadicRT, nomis, Red Dragon

Looks like you're the one with the "insecurity" RT.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

...jesus on a bike whats the matter with people on this forum.
    What is wrong with people on this forum is that we are, for the most part, different from each other and so one (wo)man's love is another (wo)man's hate. Some people just get on with it, some people react and some people just laugh and move on to the next post or thread.

Speaking for myself, I like to think I'm pragmatic about stuff and so, for the views that I don't empathise with, I am just happy that I have nothing to do with the people who espoused them. Still read the stuff I'm likely to disagree with as that's one of the ways that tests my view of life and how it should be lived - and that's also one of the ways that I learn!
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper