THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: The Transatlantic Slave Trade

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

The Transatlantic Slave Trade

If you lived in a time when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was a legal and acceptable part of western society, do you honestly think you would stand against it?

Would you boycott sugar, coffee, cotton, cocoa etc, or would you turn a blind eye and enjoy the convenience of such things?

If not, what other actions would you take, if any?

I would turn a blind eye. If I were wealthy enough I would hand pick a fit female to look after the home. The illegal drug culture/ drug production/drug manufacturing industry has been involved with many human rights infractions, murders, rapes, kidnappings, shootings, beatings, crimes during my lifetime and much of it still goes on today. At no point did I think about that when I picked up my Henry of crack from a yardie, although I was aware of the possible journey the Coke had taken to get to me.

Back in the days of slave ships arriving in Liverpool and London, people would be exposed to homegrown poverty, destitution, starvation, servants, work houses, poor houses.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

lone wolf survivalist.
    you cant put 21st century values on something that happened that long ago, in any case African tribes were enslaving other African tribes and Arabs were the slave traders, long before the white man got involved, we didn't invent it but we did perpetuate it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman, likahamadoolihan

I'd possibly have been living in poverty and not in a position to enjoy sugar , coffee , cocoa , cotton etc.
    I don't know how I'd have viewed it , with the outlook of someone living in those times

A link for more information on the Arab slave trade of Africans -

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know the history of slavery (it's said to be 12000 years old) and also the Arab slave trade (arguably worse) - but this is more about us in the UK and how we benefited from the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

lone wolf survivalist.
    so we benefitted from it, so what, we were the super power of the Age, not the UK but GREAT Britain. most business was done by BRITISH companies, of course we were going to take advantage of it, it was a different time, everybody is so p.c and wet these days.

I watched snippets of a documentary about present day slavery , aside from the obvious sex trade theres the people that are imported and forced to work the land but we seem to have no qualms about unethically harvested veg ?

lone wolf survivalist.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Shroom
    I watched snippets of a documentary about present day slavery , aside from the obvious sex trade theres the people that are imported and forced to work the land but we seem to have no qualms about unethically harvested veg ?
    that's not the title of the thread-unless I am missing something? ILLEGAL immigrants shouldn't be here no matter what they are doing whether its the sex trade or picking veg, that's one of the things the referendum was about.

fuck off hagrid , go and read original post.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Shroom
    fuck off hagrid , go and read original post.
    you read it, the OP was nothing to do with modern type slavery so get your facts right.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I think back then , unless you were directly involved or lived at a port or somewhere you came into contact , you probably be pretty unaware , and too embroiled in your own slave like existence ? Coffee cocoa etc would have been luxury items not seen by many.
    I would like to think if I was rich and well to do , I would of been against it .People had different values ,ideas etc back then and were not so prone to questioning things like cruelty to either humans or animals . I bet there were few vegaterians for instance . What was the churches take on it too , they had a lot of power back then ?

The entire British economy benefited from the transatlantic slave trade - and while there were no slaves on the British mainland, and while we had plenty of poverty, I do think we'd have had some degree of awareness.

I know slavery still exists; the white working class of olden days no longer work in sweatshops because its all been farmed out to Asia and Africa - but many of us turn a blind eye to cheap goods coming from the far east, because out of sight, out of mind.

We all benefited (and arguably still benefit) from slavery both old and current - and there were definitely people opposed to the slave trade, hence the abolitionist movement.

This is a philosophical discussion - the trade itself doesn't matter, it's about our changing values over history and whether we really have come that far.

lone wolf survivalist.
    most of the slaves went to America or the Caribbean islands, you wouldn't have seen many slaves in this country, there were a few brought here as personal slaves but I don't think the ordinary peasant would have seen them.

Originally Posted by hagrid
    most of the slaves went to America or the Caribbean islands, you wouldn't have seen many slaves in this country, there were a few brought here as personal slaves but I don't think the ordinary peasant would have seen them.
    I believe slavery was banned on the UK mainland in the 11th century - although we did have serfdom. If there were slaves here they were refugees/runners and those that had been brought over illegally or through some kind of loophole.

The short answer to the original post, if i was in that position then honestly, no i wouldn't.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Paul
    I believe slavery was banned on the UK mainland in the 11th century - although we did have serfdom. If there were slaves here they were refugees/runners and those that had been brought over illegally or through some kind of loophole.
    Raleigh brought native Americans back to GB in the 15th century as personal "servants". Grenville was another one.

In WW1 German POWs were made to work on my grandparents farm and were a novelty as nobody local at that time had ever met a German and they got on so well that a number stayed on after the war. Regarding slavery, to go back 50+ years before then I wouldn't have done a thing if I was living where I live now and working class as I'd have had no knowledge or very little knowledge as I'd be unlikely to travel more than 20 miles from the village and slavery would have had no bearing whatsoever on my life. As a soldier or sailor of the time I'd have had contact with slaves more, maybe have questioned it as it's wrong but would not have been in any position to have done anything.
    It was all down to the ruling class and businesses of the time unlike now when criminal scum ship in Pole and Romanian prossies, set up a brothel and make them work there. That can be stopped easily as we're aware but there are cases of modern day slavery here where some simple folk are made to work for nothing and against their will. Every so often cases come up.
    Not all who wander are lost

Originally Posted by Rick69
    The short answer to the original post, if i was in that position then honestly, no i wouldn't.
    I don't think I would either - if I knew the facts I'd probably make the right noises, but I doubt I'd be boycotting any products.

However ...

I do have some black ancestry - and from what I can work out it's possibly from slave-runner descent - so I honestly don't know, but the story of the interracial relationship of the time caused a huge amount of family controversy.

lone wolf survivalist.
    some Cornish and North Devon people were taken as slaves by Arab pirates who raided their villages long before we as a nation got involved in the African slave trade, some people still have this in their ancestry, my stepdaughters husband- pure North Devon ancestry- is often mistaken for a waiter when they go abroad on holiday.

Probably not if i was poor and struggling to survive myself. It's much easier to be ethically minded when you have choices..

I guess lots of people especially those who didn't live in cities, didn't even realise it was happening because of poor communication, illiteracy and lack of education.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Back then our views on the slaves was that of a sub species (so I believe we were told) a time of bear baiting in town and city Center's. We had not lng since feared the village witch. A different opinion would require a knowledge, awareness, education & very few of us British would have been privileged to get educated.
    In the Ten years I spent working in the coal mines I only witnessed one black guy underground. He was on a management visit from South Africa. Up until the influx of coloureds in the late 1950's the British Culture was one of contentment still for those of African/Jamaican descent. Other than paintings showing native peoples in situ in their homeland or on plantations, would install a image of their standing to the laymen of Britain & that would be working the land either as free men or slaves.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.