THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Into the wild

Well said! Just got to be ourselves and accept that its impossible to please everyone. Im quite a sensitive person but that doesnt mean i cant be strong and learn to have thicker skin to what people may think. Its strange because deep down i dont really care but i suppose its that part of the ego that would like people to think well of us but really its stupid, just got to go our own way and those that like us for us are worth it and anyone who doesnt oh well. Thanks for your encouraging words
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh....sorry to be the cuckoo in the pot. I appreciated the film and was impressed to find a sad ending .....but feel sure there are many similar stories with more successful outcomes.....ultimately this film felt like yet another reiteration that justifies the normality and safety of aspiring to the american dream OR ELSE?

I found the film insensitive and biased and typically scarifying. Toe the line or die kinda message.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by zendaze
    ....ultimately this film felt like yet another reiteration that justifies the normality and safety of aspiring to the american dream OR ELSE?

I found the film insensitive and biased and typically scarifying. Toe the line or die kinda message.
    I rarely remember films, but occasionally one will leave me with a very strong impression. This was one of those films and I hated it. I know that one of the strengths of the medium of film is its ability to explore ideas through story, direction, visuals, musical score and so on, but by the end of the film I felt as if I had been used and manipulated to no good effect. I always seem to be at odds when this discussion comes up. Maybe I should read the book, before giving the film another go, but so far I fail to see much good in the story that so many others appear to find inspiring.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Maybe thats because the film didnt have a happy ending and the perception of a subliminal implication running through it that if you try to escape youll die trying.
    I think a lot of films that end in tragedy for the main characters tend to leave one cheated.Maybe thats because we're manipulated to always expect triumph over evil, good beats bad, justice trumps injustice, etc and real life just isnt like that,its full of harsh disappointment.
    When youre expecting films to fill you with some kind of warming emotional triumph and they pull the rug from under you its easy to feel cheated.
    At the end of the day the film was made to make money by the professional entertainment manipulators.The book is much better it chronicles his life experience and thoughts revealed in his letters without all the film industry massaging.
    At the end of the day we're never going to all like the same films or books for various reasons good or bad - just as well really.
    I think if one has a propensity to see films as pushing the same capitalist conformist political message as everything else in society does then whatever film you watch will never measure up.
    I never take films too seriously because theyre always stories or novels or screenplays specifically adapted to the medium and dont always translate well.Films are made specifically to manipulate our emotions and take us on a ride thats the whole point of making them and always has been and are no different to plays ballet or novels in that respect so its always going to be hit and miss whether they 'hit the sweet spot'
    Technically they may marvel but weak in the storyline or vise versa etc So i just take them for what they are but on the whole i enjoyed the film and watched it a number of times.I still think the book is better.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 06-02--2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Its true that most people who are really inspiring and who have headed off into the wilderness and have lived at one with nature do not get documented.
    I liked this film in the sense of it being a film,but realy I find that my own direction in life is far more inspirational than this guys and the thought and creation that have gone into making my reality a great one have many more positives towards pointing towards the perfect life.

There is an interesting message or talking point that comes from this film,but there are stupid parts too that are far away from the world of wisdom. Throwing away your money is not a bold and courageous move in my eyes,but a move of someone who needs to come to grips with the real world !!

But,hey ho,if it inspires some of you then I guess that it is a good positive !

There are so many great and epic adventure that I could mention that are very much against the odds and inspirational just by their pure nature,but I have not got time to write them now as I have finished my tea and must get back to work,so I will leave you with one that is worth watching the film and reading the book-

Thor heyerdahl's Kon tiki. His courage and determination changed history as we knew it,I would hugely recommend that you give this amaazing story a go. Book first then film second would be the best way
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

I consider myself reasonably literate, even in film, and I don't have expectations that a film has to have a happy ending - I do watch a lot of films from places that aren't Hollywood or are in other languages where culture, expectations and traditions are very different and skipping off into the sunset with a lover isn't compulsory. If a film were truly to reflect real life endings would be open. This is just one of those instances where a film made me cross, because it felt so manipulative. I'll get the book and read it after I've finished the one I've just started.

Admittedly i only watched it because it loosely fit the genre i tend to watch..mostly indie or foreign film noir...im not a lover of blockbuster movies on the whole.I can think.of a few of those with rave reviews that have left me feeling angry and that i wasted 90 mins of my life.You may enjoy the book more,Krakauer is a good writer.

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    Its true that most people who are really inspiring and who have headed off into the wilderness and have lived at one with nature do not get documented.
    I liked this film in the sense of it being a film,but realy I find that my own direction in life is far more inspirational than this guys and the thought and creation that have gone into making my reality a great one have many more positives towards pointing towards the perfect life.

There is an interesting message or talking point that comes from this film,but there are stupid parts too that are far away from the world of wisdom. Throwing away your money is not a bold and courageous move in my eyes,but a move of someone who needs to come to grips with the real world !!

But,hey ho,if it inspires some of you then I guess that it is a good positive !

There are so many great and epic adventure that I could mention that are very much against the odds and inspirational just by their pure nature,but I have not got time to write them now as I have finished my tea and must get back to work,so I will leave you with one that is worth watching the film and reading the book-

Thor heyerdahl's Kon tiki. His courage and determination changed history as we knew it,I would hugely recommend that you give this amaazing story a go. Book first then film second would be the best way
    Well i never said it was the be all and end all of inspirational movies,just one i enjoyed and the book is much better.And no,burning money is not a great idea but people are full of 'not great ideas' when theyre not certain where theyre headed and acting irrationally or impulsively.I guess we're all guilty of that sometime in our lives.
    As i said earlier hes not the first to do such a journey and had he not expired i doubt it would have been a story told.Plenty have done that kind of journey into the unknown ,many as a matter of routine for their era going back 100+ years.

Ive read and seen the Thor Heyerdahl story.I enjoyed the book and hated the film which i found tedious beyond endurance....though his achievement was remarkable.
    I tend to read a lot of pioneer explorer biographies,two spring to mind David Thomson the Hudson Bay company explorer who mapped much of Canada in the 17th 18th century and Fridtjof Nansen who explored much of the arctic....their achievements put McCandless firmly in the amateur league...i can think of many others but few people these days seem terribly interested in pioneers of the last few centuries despite having achieved far more in their time than modern day explorers do with all of their tech and backup.
    I think the point of the film /book really was a cameo of inspiration intended at stirring ambitions and curiosity and documented one rash young mans attempts at escape.To take it as more than that would be disproportionate to that achieved by other people.
    His accomplishments and the film are subjective...as all are....
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 06-02--2017 at 01:36 PM.

lone wolf survivalist.
    shows what can happen when someone dosent know what their doing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Admittedly i only watched it because it loosely fit the genre i tend to watch..mostly indie or foreign film noir...im not a lover of blockbuster movies on the whole.I can think.of a few of those with rave reviews that have left me feeling angry and that i wasted 90 mins of my life.You may enjoy the book more,Krakauer is a good writer.
    I spend a lot of my time up mountains and love spending my time at around three to thousand metre's which is where the glaciers start and my trust in my own abilities gives way to extreme caution due to nature having the upper hand. I am in control to that level and get my buzz from pushing my own limits and not that of others or of nmother nature.
    However,saying that,everest has always had a certain calling to me and upto reading Jon's recontre's of that faitful day on everest that we know so well,I still was giving serious thought to teaming up and giving it a go.
    Jon Krakauer and his vivid descriptions was the inspiration I needed to get the everest idea out of my head once and for all. He really did make it clear to me why I had never taken any further steps towards making it happen,as it is a well rewarded madness.

Point being,he is a very good author certainly capable of passing on inspiration,but I found this film was a step away from where his passions lay and just a very good attempt at making a few quid from a good story,which no doubt he did. But personally, even though I have enjoyed the film in question,I will always find it somewhat immature and lacking of realism.

I would of loved it twenty-twenty five years ago when I was tramping it around europe sleeping in hedges,jumping on goods trains and making money from playing a harmonica,as I would of been able to relate to it more. I guess that is why I still get enjoyment out of the film as it takes me back a little to who I was as a youngster.

Its funny,at the same time I remember being aweinspired by the book "the celestine prophecy" which made so much sense to me and affirmed a lot of my spirituam beliefs at the time. I re-read it a few months ago and I had trouble turning the pages as it just made me feel like I had been so ignorant at that age. I found it awful as a more matured and well travelled person.

I would love to hear peoples views on into the wild again in about twenty years time and see if they feel that they have moved too far forward to appreciate it.

But if it brings pleasure to people now,then it is a good thing

Originally Posted by hagrid
    shows what can happen when someone dosent know what their doing.
    Professionals die too who DO know what theyre doing...human error is inherent in us all no matter how perfect we think we are and in remote places/dangerous situations hindsight is a wonderful luxury not everyone gets to benefit from.

lone wolf survivalist.
    knowing which plant to eat and which not to eat would be a start, plus some skills and knowledge wouldn't go amiss, still such is the bravado of youth-they all think they are invincible, sadly this was proved to be untrue in this case.
    he picked a hard place to try out his experiment, its hard enough for the locals to survive in Alaska and they live there.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, Sootyfoot

I spend a lot of my time up mountains and love spending my time at around three to thousand metre's which is where the glaciers start and my trust in my own abilities gives way to extreme caution due to nature having the upper hand. I am in control to that level and get my buzz from pushing my own limits and not that of others or of nmother nature.
    However,saying that,everest has always had a certain calling to me and upto reading Jon's recontre's of that faitful day on everest that we know so well,I still was giving serious thought to teaming up and giving it a go.
    Jon Krakauer and his vivid descriptions was the inspiration I needed to get the everest idea out of my head once and for all. He really did make it clear to me why I had never taken any further steps towards making it happen,as it is a well rewarded madness.

Point being,he is a very good author certainly capable of passing on inspiration,but I found this film was a step away from where his passions lay and just a very good attempt at making a few quid from a good story,which no doubt he did. But personally, even though I have enjoyed the film in question,I will always find it somewhat immature and lacking of realism.

I would of loved it twenty-twenty five years ago when I was tramping it around europe sleeping in hedges,jumping on goods trains and making money from playing a harmonica,as I would of been able to relate to it more. I guess that is why I still get enjoyment out of the film as it takes me back a little to who I was as a youngster.

Its funny,at the same time I remember being aweinspired by the book "the celestine prophecy" which made so much sense to me and affirmed a lot of my spirituam beliefs at the time. I re-read it a few months ago and I had trouble turning the pages as it just made me feel like I had been so ignorant at that age. I found it awful as a more matured and well travelled person.

I would love to hear peoples views on into the wild again in about twenty years time and see if they feel that they have moved too far forward to appreciate it.

But if it brings pleasure to people now,then it is a good thing
    Its one of those rights of passage stories applicable to a generation at the time...pre widespread internet technology etc....probably it wont be as poignant in 25 years time,something else will have taken its place.10's of thousands of youngsters go off into the wild and inhospitable places simply to do extreme sports...some die...most dont seem terribly phased by the prospect either,I know i wasnt at that age and even less so now.Theyre intent on living life on the edge and no real desire to see old age...cant blame them either.

Theres some interesting background on McCandless here

and Ron Lamothe documentary film came to different conclusions to the film and Krakauers book

If anyone wants to explore the controversy further.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 06-02--2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: atroshus spelliing

The mountaineering world is fairly small and because of the time I have spent in various ranges around the world I have communicated with people that were on that trip with him,and there are so many different opinions you would imagine that they were all not there.
    Its very hard to know what to believe,even when getting the info straight from the horses mouth.

As Gandalf said " every good story deserves embellishment " !! well sometimes it is just embellishment on its own !

Was just cementing up some broken steps that I am fixing (mix is on the go now) and was thinking back to my tramp days,and realized that it was actually just short of thirty years ago,shocking !
    Last edited by itinerant child; 06-02--2017 at 04:07 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Originally Posted by hagrid
    knowing which plant to eat and which not to eat would be a start, plus some skills and knowledge wouldn't go amiss, still such is the bravado of youth-they all think they are invincible, sadly this was proved to be untrue in this case.
    he picked a hard place to try out his experiment, its hard enough for the locals to survive in Alaska and they live there.
    From all accounts due to fatigue he made an error falsely identifying a virtually identical berry....much like people do with fungi...if in doubt leave it out.
    You do tend to learn more and faster dropped in the deep end but the risks go up exponentially and survival becomes more luck than judgement.
    Some people like that seat of the pants approach its what makes it all worth doing...maybe foolhardy too but if people want to take that risky approach and not endangering others then who are we to say they shouldnt do it the way they want.
    Life in those extremes even for pro's is not guaranteed.Get appendicitis or wound infection youre likely screwed anyway regardless of knowledge unless youre lucky enough to be found /airlifted out.Life is dangerous,sometimes you survive.
    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid, ma bungo

Its a bit like driving on french roads,oh la la

I haven't seen the Ron Lamothe film, but may look out for it. I do now have the Jon Krakauer book and one by Chris McCandless' sister, Carine, which seem to shine a very different light on the story. I may have to resurrect this thread in a few weeks' time.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a bit like driving on french roads,oh la la
    Mainly in the Alps, I find.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    I only read this thread this morning, then rm came across the film in the charity shop this afternoon, for 50p
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Think I am reading the book online now , sorry jon , egg money bit tight

From all accounts due to fatigue he made an error falsely identifying a virtually identical berry....much like people do with fungi...if in doubt leave it out.
    You do tend to learn more and faster dropped in the deep end but the risks go up exponentially and survival becomes more luck than judgement.
    Some people like that seat of the pants approach its what makes it all worth doing...maybe foolhardy too but if people want to take that risky approach and not endangering others then who are we to say they shouldnt do it the way they want.
    Life in those extremes even for pro's is not guaranteed.Get appendicitis or wound infection youre likely screwed anyway regardless of knowledge unless youre lucky enough to be found /airlifted out.Life is dangerous,sometimes you survive.
    A lot of little mistakes become a big mistake real quick
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    A lot of little mistakes become a big mistake real quick
    True....You only need one fatal one though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

A bad sprain or broken leg could be all it takes. If you were in a survival situation trying to get out, back to civilisation the odds would be against you, never mind going the other way.

True....You only need one fatal one though.
    Yes true but its like pyramid selling or some thing like that, ie , wine , skunk , climbing , short daylight hours , off route , bravado , snow storm , too short bit of rope ,,, none are too bad by them selves or even a couple , chuck the whole lot in , by gum , you still shiver now at the result , by the grace off god , old Karukar would have had another best seller !

Best training for that wilderness is spend time with the Shoshone, Nez Perce,innuit or other indigenous people there or in Europe the Saami because no text book is going to prepare you for everything you need to know about those environments.Your backpack of essential survival kit isnt going to be much use if it rolls down a ravine while youre making coffee.
    Its pretty scary how many people go up mountains in the UK completely oblivious and unprepared.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 06-02--2017 at 10:56 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, marshlander