THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Into the wild

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Indeed , I had my scarey fun in the Cirque de Gavarnie in the Pyrenees , but it was a wake up call, but I went on to start training as a mountain guide eventually , but it became clear, the only people making money were the people dishing out the awards , but I became very competant as a climber , and have had some great fun in the mountains ! It is a very unforgiving enviroment but also very rewarding
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, NomadicRT

Bit dissapointed by how negative some are about the movie, atleast it was a movie about something real and poignant, however much they may have twisted it. Its too easy to say how careless he was or reckless, that was his idea of adventure, to go somewhat unprepared. Far too many big egos in this place for my liking. I thought for a 'hippy community' it would be more humble. To suggest your life is somehow better or more worthy is a bit cringe worthy really, i actually doubt that. Anyway its a great movie and particularly book for those that are humble enough to see beyond the sugar coating.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Differentisgood
    Far too many big egos in this place for my liking. .
    If you can't handle our opinions, don't promote questioning our views. Fk off down the pub and get some drunk to agree with everything you wanna hear. It's our time as well you know.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

I dont expect asking for opinions on a movie that premotes going your own way, to be so negative. But thats ok, atleast im not as rude as you

True but your are more disrespectful. Ok I get it, the film flicked your switch. We have told you what we think of it. It's no big deal. At no point was any digs made about your strong affinity with the film. I should have said "yeh man, as far as films go and of the very few films I've actually watched in my life, that's a film I enjoyed sitting down for." Now I feel like I've been censored just to stroke your ego!

At no point have i been disrespectful you might want to re read your posts. I dont have a strong affinity with the film was just sharing what a cool film it is based on it simply being a bit different from mainsteam films. You strike me as exceedingly negative, always up there with mr kipling. Stroke me ego, are you having a giraffe mate? Ive been nothing but polite get over yourself.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Hippy site or not,this is a public forum and what makes a forum interesting is that people have different viewpoints and we can learn a lot from them,whether or not we agree. Open minded debate and the ability to take it on the chin is essential towards us benefiting from them.
    As for your comment about people thinking they are better being wrong,well that I definately disagree with as I think that to create a great reality one has to aim to be better and sometimes the best to make it work.
    Am I better than everyone else ? I certainly try to be so !
    Nothing wrong with that at all as long as it is not based in a completely egotistical way and one uses that betterment to the betterment of others.

If you think that it is a cool film,we are happy for you. if you want to share that film with others because you see good message in it,then that is great too. But do not feel like your nose is out of joint because someone-somepeople on a forum have different opinions.

A.W You make some valid and interesting points that make a lot of sense,but I did find the fck off down the pub comment a tad harsh all the same
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Point taken internet child. I Probably felt a need to smash a smokedglass brain prison. Folk can make adventure unachievable, unthinkable, unobtainable for those less free spirited. Blaming others who would "frown" when we step away from conformity, is "not" enough reason to stop it happening. A Tramp wondering the lanes of the UK is as free a man as is any. Differentisgood frowned on our invited difference in our right to reply. The fk off was a slip of a Yorshiremans tongue. I apologise for that.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 07-02--2017 at 10:44 AM.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    The slip of a yorkeshiremans tongue,now that is a fine euphamism

I could see exactly where you were coming from,and agree hundred percent,though I dont think the poster really realized that he was stepping "into the wild" !!

No Appologies needed for me as I dont give a shit,but very gentlemanly of you to offer one to Differentisgood and I hope that he will accept it with dignity and accept the post for what it was,which was a defence to our freedom of speech and thought rather than I personal attack (I think).
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Well , I am reading the book now , and enjoying it , am up to him visiting and leaving Slab City. I remember some one on here talking about it, Zimy?

Originally Posted by Differentisgood
    Bit dissapointed by how negative some are about the movie, atleast it was a movie about something real and poignant, however much they may have twisted it. Its too easy to say how careless he was or reckless, that was his idea of adventure, to go somewhat unprepared. Far too many big egos in this place for my liking. I thought for a 'hippy community' it would be more humble. To suggest your life is somehow better or more worthy is a bit cringe worthy really, i actually doubt that. Anyway its a great movie and particularly book for those that are humble enough to see beyond the sugar coating.
    The nature of any forum,people have different opinions,disagree and are disagreeable at times.There are many views on here that are not very 'hippy' like and plenty of people who are not remotely 'hippy'in their views in the trad sense of what hippy means but then we get into the 'what is a hippy' discussion which ends up getting long and boring and no one ever agrees.This isnt really a hippy site its just a forum on which there are some hippys and some nice people and not so nice.I dont particularly like it or some of its members -and they dont like me I could give a fuck-but its better than many other forum sites i use.You have to take things as you find and not too seriously.

Dont take it to heart and dont let it /them change who you are.Other peoples views, opinions of you,what you do, who you are, or what you like (on here or in the real world) are all completely irrelevant.
    What counts is your life and what you do with it,nothing else matters.....and as IC said, be and do the best you can, no one can ever fault or criticise you for that.

Last edited by NomadicRT; 07-02--2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spellink
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, itinerant child

Chilling Out

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Well , I am reading the book now , and enjoying it , am up to him visiting and leaving Slab City. I remember some one on here talking about it, Zimy?
    His sister Carine McCandless has also written a book entitled "The Wild Truth".

Personally I haven't read it, and I can't quite make up my mind whether she's simply cashing in on it all, or genuinely wants to give admirers of Chris and his quest the opportunity to know what made him tick, and ultimately send him into the wild.

"The key missing piece of Jon Krakauer’s multi million, multi territory bestseller and widely acclaimed Sean Penn film Into the Wild is finally revealed by his best friend and sister, Carine.

The story of Chris McCandless, who gave away his savings, hitchhiked to Alaska, walked into the wilderness alone, and starved to death in 1992, fascinated not just New York Times bestselling author Jon Krakauer, but the rest of the nation too. Krakauer’s book and a Sean Penn film skyrocketed Chris McCandless to worldwide fame, but the real story of his life and his journey has not yet been told – until now.

Carine McCandless, Chris’s sister, featured in both the book and film, was the person with whom he had the closest bond, and who witnessed firsthand the dysfunctional and violent family dynamic that made Chris willing to embrace the harsh wilderness of Alaska. Growing up in the same troubled and volatile household that sent Chris on his fatal journey into the wild, Carine finally reveals the broader and deeper reality about life in the McCandless family.

For decades, Carine and Chris’s parents, a successful aerospace engineer and his beautiful wife, raised their children in the tony suburbs of Northern Virginia. But behind closed doors, her father beat and choked her mother. He whipped Carine and Chris with his belt. He cursed them, belittled their accomplishments, and told them they were nothing without him. Carine and Chris hid under the stairs, hoping to avoid his wrath. They were teenagers before they learned they were conceived while their father was still married and having babies with his first wife, who finally summoned the courage to leave him after he broke her back in a fight.

In the 20-plus years since the tragedy of Chris’s death, she has searched for some kind of redemption. But in this touching and deeply personal memoir, she reveals how she has learned that real redemption can only come from speaking the truth. Finally, she has found the truth not just in her brother’s story, but also her own."
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

I found the book interesting , and the film watchable , but I think I will skip Carines book for the moment , unless someone says its worthwhile reading .

That might of been me Ma Bungo.I think I have mentioned it,as we had watched a doco on it.

lone wolf survivalist.
    i'd be more inclined to read about the ones who did it and survived , not the ones who failed and perished cos they didn't know what they were doing.

I love adventures , if you are taking a risk , however small or big , then you are living ! Life with out risk is existing not living !
    Agreed Ma, I'm sat here with a totally knackered body, I've broken in the past pretty much every bone I've got to break, apart from legs....but pelvis, back, skull, jaw, sternum, arm, ribs, fingers, etc etc..got a few plates n screws, a few screws loose too..., I've ruined my body through too much booze..BUT.. I can say without a doubt, I have risked everything including my life on my adventures, seen a whole heap of different countries, met a bunch of awesome folks all over the world, and apart from the booze...looking back I wouldn't change a damn thing.
    Very few people these days live, they just exist going from one boring day to the next with no hope no future no ambition...

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

lone wolf survivalist.
    there is a hell of a difference between attempting something and failing, but living to talk about the experience, and trying something and perishing in the attempt because you don't know any better,those are not the people one should be admiring. just my opinion.

Originally Posted by hagrid
    there is a hell of a difference between attempting something and failing, but living to talk about the experience, and trying something and perishing in the attempt because you don't know any better,those are not the people one should be admiring. just my opinion.
    Who said anything about admiring ? We can however learn from others mistakes , it is way less more painful than learning from your own

lone wolf survivalist.

Who said anything about admiring ? We can however learn from others mistakes , it is way less more painful than learning from your own
    certainly sounded like it.

I wonder what would have happened if he had one or two likeminded people with him. Would he be alive or not? I mean, they could have other opinions about the food, or may gotten him help?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

He did not want other people with him . The biggest mistake he made was no map . He would have seen he was not trapped by the river!