THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Into the wild

Into the wild

Thoughts on the movie into the wild? Its personally one of my favorites, because it is based on the true story of Christopher McCandless. The book is great too, gives a deeper insight into who he was and various letters he wrote to people and things he said. He seemed to be on a sort of spiritual quest, for something more out of life than material pursuits and the meaninglessness of modern life. Resonates deeply with me and really admire his courage.

Anyone else seen the film or read the book?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Differentisgood
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Thoughts on the movie into the wild? Its personally one of my favorites, because it is based on the true story of Christopher McCandless. The book is great too, gives a deeper insight into who he was and various letters he wrote to people and things he said. He seemed to be on a sort of spiritual quest, for something more out of life than material pursuits and the meaninglessness of modern life. Resonates deeply with me and really admire his courage.

Anyone else seen the film or read the book?
    Who wrote the book?

Yes one of my favorites too...ive got the book and film.....the book is better IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Who wrote the book?
    Jon Krakauer
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Differentisgood, Lightbringer

Its by Jon Krakauer, well worth the read imo

Ah nice one, yeah its great isnt it, such an interesting guy. So sad how it ended, but so inspirational!

The irony is we might possibly have never heard of him had he not accidentally poisoned himself and his story never told....who knows.His adventure is certainly inspirational.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 05-02--2017 at 08:53 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, Sootyfoot

Thats true, sometimes i guess it takes tragedy to put spotlight on things. Im sure there are many others who live in the wild, the book mentions a few. I dont think the wild is for me, but really relate to needing more out of life than material things and modern way of living.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Only read his book 'Into Thin Air' which was good , shall check it out
    Ohhh! And Eiger Dreams . Ta for link , don't read as much as I used to, blimmin internet !
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, NomadicRT

Thats true, sometimes i guess it takes tragedy to put spotlight on things. Im sure there are many others who live in the wild, the book mentions a few. I dont think the wild is for me, but really relate to needing more out of life than material things and modern way of living.
    I think -for me at least- he represents a rare quality that we should all aspire to -seek out adventure in all its rawness and not be so keen to just slot into our place on the conveyor belt of modern living as soon as we leave school.
    So many people do nothing through their lives because they feel obligated or committed to a certain path or work or family and acquire responsibilities that prevent them just 'taking off' and then suddenly they wake up old...too old to go on adventures.
    McCandless just did it.Tragic it ended as it did but he probably experienced more in his short life than many do in 60+years.Thats what i admire about him
    The following users think this post is groovy: Differentisgood, ma bungo

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I love adventures , if you are taking a risk , however small or big , then you are living ! Life with out risk is existing not living !
    The following users think this post is groovy: Differentisgood, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

A brilliant film. Had it not been for a foolish mistake, he could have got through a winter and built a more substantial way to survive. Many people return to the wild on limited outside reliance. In the film there was a lack of planning at all turns.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

well said, although i wouldnt say adventure as such, but more, just do whatever we want in life, everyone is different, for one person they may get great satisfaction from an 'ever changing horizon' as he put it, to another it might just be one place or getting up each day and doing something they enjoy.
    I think the most important thing is other than life revolving around work and survival, we should try and make it revolve around what we enjoy or believe. True living is having time for the things we like, doesnt matter how great or small whatever it is. Someone might enjoy sitting in a field, then they should try and create a life that allows them to spend the majority of their life sat in a field, and the means to survive should be in order to enjoy the field. A bizarre example to make my point.
    He broke away from the chains and delusion of conformity and tried to find meaning beyond it. He saw through conformity and the general conditioning of society and did his own thing, i see through it but am not sure what id like, a simple life would do for me i think, sounds less thrilling than his wild adventure, but everyone has different ways to be content. The man in the field might be enjoying the daisys whilst another might be free climbing mountains.
    His fearlessness to go his own way is brilliant, heartening to know others enjoy his story
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, nicklincs

i know what your saying but he deliberately didnt plan that was part of the fun of embracing life as it came,into the unknown without maps etc, i know that might seem foolish but i think to him it was part of the thrill. But misfortune was part of it, the river rising, but yes if he had a map he would have seen there was a crossing further up river

I think McCandless realised that to experience life and know its meaning is to get out and learn what youre capable of.Nothing wakes you up quite like your life being dependent on your skill to survive.You also realise that youre not just in this world youre very much part of it.
    "But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything."
    Alan Watts
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 05-02--2017 at 10:01 PM.

i know what your saying but he deliberately didnt plan that was part of the fun of embracing life as it came,into the unknown without maps etc, i know that might seem foolish but i think to him it was part of the thrill. But misfortune was part of it, the river rising, but yes if he had a map he would have seen there was a crossing further up river
    He didnt do anything that hadnt been done before...many of the early settlers were in exact same situation as he was and thats what he wanted to experience.He may to casual observers seem reckless but he did it and thsts what matters.He didnt sit planning fir weeks and worrying about a gazillion things that might go wrong.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

yeah i think to him his response to society was adventure and the wilderness, but i interpreted it as just do your own thing. To consider alternative lifestyles and that is there the richest fruits are, not in material thigns but life experiences.

Ah Alan watts, great speaker, one of my favourate parts of his is about society and education, where people seem in a hurry to get to the end of each stage, if you just get to the next stage and he likens it to music, the best conductors would be those who play fastest, if that was the case people would go to concerts just to hear one crashing chord. Haha legend

Yes well society has us conditioned from birth that we're born to be work slaves but thats not what life is meant to be.There seems to be a lot more people of this present younger generation going and doing what they want and not whats expected of them....like McCandless did...good for them.

Yeah, life should be what we make of it, not what society tells us we should be. Having said that im not sure what i want out of this strange old thing called life, hard enough making sense of it, let alone living in a bizzare out of touch human society that frowns upon anyone whos different.

The music by eddie vedder throughout that film is ace

Oops I may have just ordered it damn you ukhippy book section

Yeah, life should be what we make of it, not what society tells us we should be. Having said that im not sure what i want out of this strange old thing called life, hard enough making sense of it, let alone living in a bizzare out of touch human society that frowns upon anyone whos different.

The music by eddie vedder throughout that film is ace
    to be real, doing what. Different? Living in a shack on land you own on the edge of suberbia? (Dropping out) or cutting corners to have what the "I have brigade" have through hard work or luck? A dwelling in the remote beautiful wildwood. No one is ever stopped from doing the Adventure. Just walk further away from the rules and support system. if it's to try your luck 'surviving' the explorers at the turn of the 1900's were still discovering things that weren't in the books.. Todays explorers will take google with them, expect back up helechopter and it to find them. No one is stopped from pitting their wits against unmeasurable odds. The guy in the film was a run away junkie. Not sure of what he wants or what he will do if he finds it. He is just sure he is going looking. What is clear, he didn't need anyone's approval. That's the difference between freemen and followers. Maybe he desired freedom.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, marshlander

Nice one lightbringer, hope you enjoy it
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Not sure what your asking alices wonderland. Different as in, if you want to live differently, it can be frowned upon because peoples idea of success these days is wealth, status and material possessions. So if you dont conform to them ideas people dont tend to understand and can be unfairly harsh with their judgement, not that it should matter.

The difference back in the 60's 70's 80's if you went off doing your own thing you were looked on as potentially dangerous /subversive.These days its relatively normal accepted practice to go off travelling/exploring backpacking for months on end etc and no one bothers much what you do.

Living differently in an unauthodox manner alongside the conformists and nimbys is something else but theres ways and means around the obstacles society puts up to make it hard for us and always was, you just need to be smarter and more stealthy than years ago.Society has always judged those in it by their perceived usefulness,wealth,status and lookef down on the non conformists no different today is it was a century ago except today you wontt get thrown in a workhouse ...not yet anyway.

Arguably though youre not living free and how you wish if youve one foot in the conformist camp and one outside a and allowing peoples prejudices to govern how you live or feel about yourself (feeling looked down on).

Its not their life youre living,its yours and you dont have to justify yourself to anyone or meet anyones approval.Be yourself and do what you want.
    If friends dont approve or understand then change your friends,move in different circles,just do what you want, because no matter what you are in society- rich or poor,married or single,gay or straight, black or white,socialite or hippy dropout-someone somewhere is going to disapprove of you...screw em, not my concern I dont need their approval and never have.
    Its your life to live,so live it...
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 06-02--2017 at 01:38 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Differentisgood, Lightbringer, marshlander