THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Dreaded Cold Sore

Talking about cold sores what is with the stigma and judgement around genital cold sores compared to cold sores around the mouth?

Quite a few comedians on TV (not naming names) and people in general have vile jokes around it. A cold sore is a cold sore am I right or am I missing something?

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by ma bungo View Post
    Cashews are strong gear , and poiseonus if not cooked !
    Oh my! I'm doomed
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ma bungo

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by marshlander View Post
    Oh my! I'm doomed
    No , you will be ok with any you buy in the UK , more likely the salt will get you . We once bought a bag of them in Mumbia that had been dyed all different colours , with each colour being a different flavour . They became known as the ' nasty nuts' they were so bloody bad !

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Thanks, ma!

Sex
    Female
    A dab of tea tree oil,stings a while,tastes fowl if you lick ya lips,but kills the bugger and dries it up in no time xx

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    I would recommend the Coconut oil too, great stuff. Although I think rm had put some essentail oils in there too

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by treestump View Post
    Contrary to common belief, coleslaw's !! ( nasty things), are not always caused by herpes simplex virus.
    You can get them through food allergy's, stress, dehydration, very cold weather, very hot weather and feeling run down.
    And low immunity caused by the above is what leads to an outbreak of the herpes simplex virus - so, unless I'm missing something, cold sores are always herpes, and if they're not herpes they're not cold sores

There are two types of herpes, HSV-1 (85% of the population get these at some point) and HSV-2 (genital herpes), but both contagious and can both spread to your nether regions.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, NomadicRT, Rick69, Shroom

Sex
    Male
    That has always been my understanding , a viral infection that lays dormant most of the time then wakes up when its host is stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    And low immunity caused by the above is what leads to an outbreak of the herpes simplex virus - so, unless I'm missing something, cold sores are always herpes, and if they're not herpes they're not cold sores

There are two types of herpes, HSV-1 (85% of the population get these at some point) and HSV-2 (genital herpes), but both contagious and can both spread to your nether regions.
    Well mine are not cold sores then they are allergy sores caused by an intolerance or allergy..... either that or my cold sores appear by SHEAR coincidence whenever i eat particular foods - mainly cashews
    I DO agree ... that all cold sores are cold sores and carry herpes simplex.
    and nothing wrong with having them as a large number of the population carry herpes simplex ( some without even knowing) theres pretty much bugger all you can do about eradication of the virus once you have it. ( shitter)
    However i was pointing out that not all sores were cold sores and can be sores caused by other factors too....
    Anyway hope everybody is sore free today's and licking their luscious lips - pucker up

(couldnt find an icon with lips on it )
    Last edited by treestump; 07-02--2017 at 09:05 PM.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Spot on.....food allergies may cause sores but theyre not the same.Allergy sores will clear up quickly and not spread unlike HS-1. or HS-2.Theyre best treated with antivirals like acyclovir ....allergy sores are easily treated assuming you discover what youre allergic to(cease contact or ingestion)

People should also be careful using tea tree oil it can be a cause of irritation and allergy in itself in some people (in some instances very severe and unpleasant).Fine if it works..a total shit if you react to it (as i do)..Its not a good idea to use oils on cold sores.They thrive in moist conditions thats why you get them on lips or genitals or armpits.Keep the area dry is best and use cold sore med cream if you must.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 07-02--2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Female
    Thats why there called cold sores , you are run down by your cold !
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Sex
    Male
    Mine are definitely viral, hence taking antivirals at the first sign..

Sex
    Male
    Thats why there called cold sores , you are run down by your cold !
    HS-1 or HS-2 is an opportunist virus that takes advantsge of when youre run down....if you have either or both virus in your body you dont get rid of it it just doesnt show up publicly until youre immunity is low.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Not forgetting Herpes Zoster AKA shingles.

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd View Post
    Not forgetting Herpes Zoster AKA shingles.
    I was going to mention shingles, very painful and I think are residual from chicken pox ??

Sex
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
    I was going to mention shingles, very painful and I think are residual from chicken pox ??
    Think you get shingle if you get the chicken pox as an adult .

Nobody ever seems that sure about herpes..
    My friend insists that she has genial herpes around her mouth.
    I said surely they are all just herpes? I'm not sure though; just seemed strange to tell every potential partner that the outbreak round her mouth were actually genital ones. Is there a difference?

Genial herpes??!

Sex
    Male
    Youre more likely to get shingles.if youve not had chicken pox as a child or get shingles as exposure to the chicken pox virus later in life.

Not nice either way...I had Chicken Pox in my 30's and very ill.for 10 days and the patient i contracted it from was in ICU for 3 weeks as he had the pustules erupt internally on his lungs and internal organs which is rare but dangerous.

Its the Varicella -Zoster virus.

Sex
    Male
    Think you get shingle if you get the chicken pox as an adult .
    I had the chicken pox as a kid , then again in my 30's from the very spotty kid of a one night stand, seems I did not build the full immunity from the first dose so when I got it as an adult i had 50% immunity which is worse than none at all.... a raging battle ensued for about 3 weeks and another 5 off work when I was 'better' , now I am kinda waiting for the shingles to arrive .......

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_bee View Post
    Nobody ever seems that sure about herpes..
    My friend insists that she has genial herpes around her mouth.
    I said surely they are all just herpes? I'm not sure though; just seemed strange to tell every potential partner that the outbreak round her mouth were actually genital ones. Is there a difference?
    Herpes Simplex Virus HS-1 and HS-2 are two different virus. HS-1 primarily affects the mouth HS-2 primarily affects genital area...neither virus morphs into the other theyre different and you can be positive for one or both.
    HS-2 can be spread to mouth during oral sex but its primary infection area will be the infected persons genital area.Once infected thats where the primary and subsequent outbreaks will be.Once either virus is in your system its there for life.You just have to manage outbreaks when they occur.
    New born children are often infected with HS-1 by mother at birth.

Ah, thank you!

Sex
    Male
    Colloidal Silver, if you can get hold of some.
    At the first sign of "tingle" I apply directly on the tingle site with a cotton bud - this kills the flare up and rarely allows the sores to develop.

currently sitting under a "stawberry tree" in Tarifa. will be heading along the coast towards Cadiz..

james

Sex
    Male
    Was wondering about you ...Hope you is having fun James