THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Dreaded Cold Sore

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Was wondering about you ...Hope you is having fun James
    Life is good - I feel so lucky and blessed.
    Since leaving the UK winter behind me in November, I landed in Calais, stocked up on cheap B&Hs and headed south.
    In France, the weather was similar to the UK, skipped down to Spain and was planning on exploring Galicia but it was too cold.
    Travelled down the western coast of Portugal and ended up in S/W Portugal - Bispo area.
    Where I met the lovely MrsP - a member here.
    At some point in the journey, my elektoblok went titsup and took out the 2 new leisure batteries.
    No charging from either the sun or engine, battery voltage down to around 8v before I noticed. knackered the batteries.
    booked into a nice site for only 6euros a night, hooked up the 220v and charging was working but the batteries failed to hold the charge, they won't go over about 12.2 volts and they expire.
    I had the solar upgraded from 80w to 320w but didn't replace the batteries as they were wanting over 600 euros for a pair of 110aH.
    I had to remove the drivers seat and swivel base to get at the elektroblok, pulled that out and took it to pieces, no signs of component failure and lacking much in the way of test equipment, I just re-assembled it and re-installed it.
    Voila, solar and engine now getting through the elektoblock but the batteries won't hold the charge.
    I've been tolerating minimal reserve electric - I'll get new ones when I get back to the UK in the summer.
    The issues with the electrics put a bit of a downer on my mood and means that I have to use campsites with hookups more than I planned.
    Free camping as much as possible and so far no issues with the authorities or scallywags.
    I've met loads of lovely people, seen lots of beautiful countryside and driven the entire west coast and southwest coast of europe and along to Orgiva in the Alpujarras up on the sierra nevada.
    I'm now heading back along the south coast of spain and portugal.
    On a site in Tarifa right now, the sign on the beach points across the sea and tells me I am 15km from Africa, Thats for another time.
    catching up with the laundry and odd bits of maintence.
    Dog's loving it, he's left his scent from adinkerke to orgiva and still going strong.

thats all for now

james
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Cobra, NomadicRT, Uncle jhad, ursus

When I was a kid and got one, my mum always made me rub my finger really hard against my palm until it got hot, then hold it over the cold sore. No idea why but I always remember them going very quickly so maybe it helped..

Quote Originally Posted by emmadilemma View Post
    When I was a kid and got one, my mum always made me rub my finger really hard against my palm until it got hot, then hold it over the cold sore. No idea why but I always remember them going very quickly so maybe it helped..
    Now that's what you call self healing. I have never heard of that before but if it works who am I to question it?

Quote Originally Posted by Free.spirit View Post
    Now that's what you call self healing. I have never heard of that before but if it works who am I to question it?
    Throwing salt over your door threshold does the same thing. So does staring into a corner of a room, just like a cat.... prats.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    Throwing salt over your door threshold does the same thing. So does staring into a corner of a room, just like a cat.... prats.
    Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work for someone else. After all the mind can be a powerful thing so try to be less judgemental regarding what others believe in.

I think my mums remedy is about applying heat to it as you keep your finger on the sore till it cools down then do it again. Have seen similar methods involving holding a warm teabag on one. Maybe increases blood flow to the area so speeds up healing..

Quote Originally Posted by emmadilemma View Post
    I think my mums remedy is about applying heat to it as you keep your finger on the sore till it cools down then do it again. Have seen similar methods involving holding a warm teabag on one. Maybe increases blood flow to the area so speeds up healing..
    My ex's mother would make my ex sit on a bucket of hot water when she was a teenager and having a painful period. The steam was supposed to help. It often made her minge a wee bit scolded. Mind you it was always clean.

skin friction heat applications. Heat does open the blood vessels so increased blood supply to the area. It could equalise normal room temperatures if the body was outside waiting for the school bus in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Free.spirit View Post
    Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work for someone else. After all the mind can be a powerful thing so try to be less judgemental regarding what others believe in.
    You have taken the words out of my mouth. And used them in a way you understand. The mind is powerful. Hence salt or staring into a corner. They may sound too wacky to you, but no more than increasing the temperature in the end of a finger by friction by a few degrees before touching the spot. If you held your hands on a cup of tea it would speed up the process or put the cup of tea on the lip. It's the placebo I was referring to. Often people who pray say that it was god. If a doctor gave soneone a placebo tube of cream or pill and it worked. You wouldn't say it's the contents of the cream or pill that made the change, or would you?

Marvellous how when we do nothing at all, the body heals itself of many ills. I'm sure we can all look further than we need to to give it some rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    You have taken the words out of my mouth. And used them in a way you understand. The mind is powerful. Hence salt or staring into a corner. They may sound too wacky to you, but no more than increasing the temperature in the end of a finger by friction by a few degrees before touching the spot. If you held your hands on a cup of tea it would speed up the process or put the cup of tea on the lip. It's the placebo I was referring to. Often people who pray say that it was god. If a doctor gave soneone a placebo tube of cream or pill and it worked. You wouldn't say it's the contents of the cream or pill that made the change, or would you?
    I completely understand what you mean in this post but in the last post when you ended it with.....prats, it sounded like you were being offensive hence the misunderstanding.

Herpes of any sort is a proper bummer....may just be cracked skin thats trying desperately to heal itself.....if it is a variant of herpes then any pharmacist will advise you of the correct treatment
    ....oooh.....dont be offended by the use of the term 'herpes'.....chickenpox and shingles are both variants of 'herpes'.

Cold sores are a bitch. I had them in the past, and I found 1 thing that worked for me. When they have come and begun to hurt, I take a toothbrush with toothpaste and I rub the fuck out of it so the sore opens, it hurts a lot, but the toothpaste will numb it after about 5-10 seconds, and for some reason it heals faster. Maybe it's because of the anti-bacterial properties of the toothpaste.
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Zambaku View Post
    Cold sores are a bitch. I had them in the past, and I found 1 thing that worked for me. When they have come and begun to hurt, I take a toothbrush with toothpaste and I rub the fuck out of it so the sore opens, it hurts a lot, but the toothpaste will numb it after about 5-10 seconds, and for some reason it heals faster. Maybe it's because of the anti-bacterial properties of the toothpaste.
    Warm salt water applied a few times a day helps too

I had the start of a cold sore a few days ago, strangely enough. I used cannabis and coconut oil on it, and it's gone.
    I don't tend to get really bad ones anyway.

Ok, cancel that.
    just put my glasses on to look, and its still there a tiny bit.

over the years i've had some humdingers of coldsores thast have migrated around my face and been very sore and looked awful.
    i've tried lots of natural and over the counter pharma remedies but most seem to suppress the coldsore then it pops up somewhere else a week ;ater.

my mum was visiting when i had a particularly bad one a year or so ago and she took me into Boots and bought me an electronic cold sore thingy. it works by emitting light which stimulates the immune system into healing. you can use it as many times a day as you want, and in conjunction with other remedies if you want. not cheap at around 35 quid.

but holy fucksticks, it works. i haven't got a scooby how, but it works.

if you are plagued by cold sores it's really worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_bee View Post
    Ok, cancel that.
    just put my glasses on to look, and its still there a tiny bit.
    Haha never put your glasses on and look in a mirror