THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Woodland stone cabin in South France

Noobie

Woodland stone cabin in South France

Hi everyone, we have a stone built woodland cabin in France, our current lifestyle means that we are rarely visiting it at present and we are wondering if it could be an interesting place for the right person or couple to spend some time amongst the trees. The cabin is a one up one down stone built dwelling, no electricity or mains water but we have a "source" from a nearby stream which is piped to a tap outside the cabin, there is a woodburning stove and a small two ring gas cooker.
    We have been planning to make the place more comfortable but we are already renovating a house and are struggling to find the time to devote to the cabin.
    Do you think anyone may be interested in spending time in the cabin for free in exchange for some improvement works?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cartman, Cobra, cricket, emmadilemma, julianthegypsy, marshlander, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis, Offgrid hero, Uncle jhad, ursus

Wow what a lovely opportunity for someone who wants to be there.
    Looks fantastic.
    Plenty of people on this forum who would be interested i reckon.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

lone wolf survivalist.
    looks good.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Hi Pebbles,I guess that you are the sort of person who would of met the neighbours and have someone who can check on it when you are not there. If you do not have anyone,I travel through 81 two or three times a year flitting from client to client and would be happy to stop off and check that all is well when I am passing.
    I presume that you are in 81,as that sort of ties in with midi pyranees,albeit a tad out to the right!!

In fact,my next job after here in the var may actually be in 81 :-)

To you uk folk who do not know,every departement (county) of france is numbered alphabetically from 01 to about 96.

Alpes maritime would be 06

Finistere 29

morbihan 56

Yonne 89 etc etc

If there is a tranquil spot to park a van up overnight or two and I have time to stop off,I would not mind doing a couple of hours gardening for you. Not that parking up is any problem around those parts,but would be happy to help another ukh member if I can
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, marshlander, nicklincs, Pebbles81, Uncle jhad, ursus

Noobie
    Hi all! thanks for the kind words,
    yes in 81
    I should explain more, we live a couple of miles away from the cabin, so we do check on it, there is no road access, you have to walk through the forest to get to the cabin, maybe a mountain bike or trials bike could get you there.
    It would suit someone looking for a couple, or more, months off grid who likes nature/walking and generally chillin out.
    Please ask if you have any questions
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

There is loads of great nature not far from here guys. Loads of walks and mountain biking to be done,lots of climbing. wild boars,lynx,stag etc all to be found in that area,and if you are realllllly lucky you may get to see a wolf displacing from one mountain range to another,though that is pretty rare.
    If you have got transport then the stunning pyranees are not too far away where there are wolf and bear,not to mention everything else that the mountains have to offer.
    You could drive down through the massif central which is stunning too and if you have a bit of timt and fuel money you could drive back up country through the alpes and the jura mountains.

This is a great opportunity for one of you guys.

Been talking about it for it while,well here is that chance to just get out there and do it.

Whoever does it,will love it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy, Pebbles81, Uncle jhad

Noobie
    Yes seen wild boars, deer and one wolf many years ago, it is a stunning area, we are in the black mountains, the languedoc national park

THis area for anyone who dosent know France

Last edited by Pebbles81; 08-02--2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added map link
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, itinerant child, Uncle jhad, yazz

What an amazing offer! No road...sounds like heaven..
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

Noobie
    Off the top of my head, this is the sort of stuff that needs to be done:
    Roof insulation / skylight
    Woodland management (3000 m2 of chestnut/furs)
    Garden recovery (overgrown)
    Soil/Compost toilet (currently no toilet)
    Solar heated Shower
    General maintenance

Most tools already on site, if not i have them close by

Is this the right forum for this? struggling to find anywhere else to list it

This is a great forum to put this in,and I am sure that there are quite a few on here that are thinking about it.

You could always pop up an announcement on the three angloinfo sites that could cover that area,being

angloinfo midi pyranees south

angloinfo midi pyranees north

angloinfo languedoc

french entree would be another one,though in all honesty I would imagine that you would have a better chance of finding a decent person-couple on here,rather than on any of the others.

As you know,travel is not cheap coming down from the uk to tarn (81),maybe if you could offer to throw a few quid in towards the chosen one's travel costs,you may get more interest.
    Obviously you have not got vast amounts of money or you would not be asking this,but if you could part with a few quid to make the offer more interesting,it would make it appear to be a fairer offer,especially as some of what you want doing needs to be done by someone in the know.

Please excuse the audacity of me mentioning this,but I think if you could stretch your funds that it would be a worthwhile investment offering a few euro's towards getting someone who is not going to give you a leaking skylight or a solar shower that drains your batteries!!

I am a travelling landscape gardener-dry stone waller and earn my way by using great work ethics and working hard and I had a lady from languedoc contact me a few years ago offering me a free park up if I was to come down and fix her walls. I laughed at the proposal as It would of cost me the best part of 350 euro's of fuel in my old lt35 van that I had at the time to get down from brittany and back,and there are thousands of free park ups all around that area,so why would I of wanted to spend money to do a professional job for someone and be out of pocket !!

Could you maybe sweeten your deal up as in offering a time of stay open to whoever does the work,so they can think about how much time they would be able to get to enjoy the area outside of the time needed to do the work.It would be good for people to know how long they could leave their home behind for and possibly their problems.

This really could be a great deal for both your goodself and for someone who needs to get away for a while.

Just a few thoughts that I hope do not offend you,as no offence intended

As you and I,everybody wants to get a good deal
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Uncle jhad

Noobie
    some good points, thanks, I suppose all those things are open to discussion to whoever was interested, not our intention to make someone work hard, very relaxed about work hours vs living hours, more of an extended holiday with the odd days work.
    I drive up and down to the uk quite a bit so something may be possible re transport, failing that all the cheap airlines fly from local airports
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, itinerant child, julianthegypsy, Uncle jhad

lone wolf survivalist.
    shame my situation dosent enable me to take up this offer, sounds very tempting, especially the overgrown garden which was my job when I was self employed.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

There must be someone on ukh that has been trying to get away. If you have got the skills needed then you could just let go of your accomodation and have no rent or bills to pay for maybe a few months,some lovely time amongst nature in a very pretty part of france,probably meet some lovely people,learn a bit about another country and practice your french down at the bakers when getting fresh soft yet crispy baguettes and pain au chocolat with warm melted chocolate if you get there early enough.

Bloody tempted myself,but I am already here doing it !!!!

Bloody good and interesting start to 2017 for someone,go on go on go on go on do it,you know you want to
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Pebbles81

Noobie
    Just to be clear, the list of work was only 'top of my head' not ness fixed, depends on skills

Noobie

if youre passing pop in and say hello (81200)

Thank you,I shall if I am passing by that way. I am not sure which way I shall be going up country as yet as it depends upon the jobs on offer to which way I go,and with it being such a large country a detour of a few hundred miles for a days job does not make sense.(not referring to you there about job) If you can email me your address and email address on
    ,I will let you know in a week or so if I shall be heading via that direction or going straight up though the alps when I am finished in the var (83). x

Noobie
    OK done

If you are still looking for people for this. I would gladly accept. I have experience in woodland management and I work as a gardener
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, julianthegypsy

Noobie
    Sorry for the late reply yes we are still looking for someone, i will try and pm you

fingers and toes are crossed that this works out beautifully for all concerned. Good luck pebbles. Sorry that I did not call in on my way northwards,but unfortunately I had to head up the eastern flank because of work commitments. Will try my best to call by when I am next in the area. Bisous a vous deux xx

Noobie
    Merci! message us when you're coming this way, bonne route, Ó bient˘t

A beautiful region. I used to busk a lot in nearby Toulouse and Carcassonne. If I was still doing it now that would be a tempting offer for the down time. For others to consider the time of year for a visit, does it have a fireplace?

Noobie
    yes woodburner
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Colin M

Noobie
    TheWanderer2023, are you still interested? Sent you a private message :-)