THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Losing weight safely and permanently

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with treats,as long as they are just that. A little treat to reward your efforts isnt a bad thing if it is done sensibly.

Everything in moderation.

That sounds like soooo much bollox when I say it,but it is a good piece of advice !
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob

Quote Originally Posted by dollybassett View Post
    Don't you think it is odd that we just don't listen to our bodies when it comes to food and hunger, all the brainwashing from the media and food stuff companies has had a massive affect on our bodies.

When we are tired we go to sleep, we listen to our bodies when we feel ill or when we need to go to the bathroom, but we let outside influences dictate how, when and what we eat.

How many of us eat breakfast when we are not hungry and we buy tasteless cardboard cereals and eat them in the morning because we are told too.

Go back to basics, and listen to the cues your body gives you, are you hungry in the morning if so what do you fancy that particular morning, I am sure you don't fancy muesli every morning, if you are not hungry in the morning take some food with you and eat it when you are, take a selection of food in containers and when hunger strikes you will be able to satisfy it and then get on with your day.

It may sound daunting to rely on your body to tell you what it wants, but it will and you have to trust it, eat what you want, when you are hungry and when your body has had enough stop, and then don't eat again until you are hungry again. You need to look at the food your are eating, in terms of the quality of it, you are feeding your body so much sugar - sweetener, bottles of pop, shop bought sandwiches, tinned veg/pots and tinned meat, all full of sugar. With a bit of organisation you can sort improve your diet, I would really say stop relying on crap food and buy better quality food, take responsibility for the food you are putting in your mouth, you only have one body.

Diets don't work and we really need to wake up to that fact, they are designed to make you fatter and the diet companies don't want you to lose weight permanently and most people never do, it all about generating billions for the diet industry. How many people keep going back to companies like slimming world, they lose weight, than they stop going to the weekly sessions, put the weight back on and some more, then they feel really bad about themselves, so they rejoin the slimming club and the cycle starts all over again, they didn't fail the diet failed them because it is unsustainable.

Eat when you are hungry, what your body wants and stop when you are full, the only natural way to lose weight permanently and get back to your natural weight.
    There is a benefit from eating the first meal or first drink because it kick starts the body but you dont absolutely need to eat breakfast dinner tea at fixed intervals as weve been indoctrinated into.It may have been important for people years ago working heavy manual work from 5 in morning to 5 or 6 at night but its not ne essary for most people these days.
    Personally i get up earlyish and have my breakfast 3 hours later around 10 am...I probably dont eat again until 6 or 7 at night when im in the mood.
    I usually have something substantial for breakfast so i never feel hungry normally.
    Ive ever really understood the insistence on the ritual 3 meals a day...it harks back to good old nanny state public service broadcasts when patronising posh ladies and gentlemen informed the lower classes how to live correctly.
    Like you i firmly believe you should eat when you feel hungry and sleep when youre tired thats what i do.Diets are a complete waste of time and money and people shouldnt overly obsess if theyre a little over the normal weight range for their age height but if people wa t to lose weight then thers only one way...do more eat less.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Rule of thumb I believe is the faster you loose it the more likely it will come back , and with interest if you are unluckly . Drink lots of water before a meal if you can , you will feel full sooner , do not have such large portions , and then if you feel hungry wait 20 minutes , you may have stopped feeling hungry by then . If you have limmited time to exersise do it with a pack with a few kilos in , you will burn more calories.

If you're stomach isn't rumbling a bit your not actually hungry that's the only real indicator anything else is just habit.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, etherea

Quote Originally Posted by itinerant child View Post
    Nothing wrong with treats,as long as they are just that. A little treat to reward your efforts isnt a bad thing if it is done sensibly.

Everything in moderation.

That sounds like soooo much bollox when I say it,but it is a good piece of advice !
    No there isnt but its a lot about attitude to food and consuming it thats important.50+ years ago people ate well but you rarely saw anyone overweight at all they were also more active and walked or cycled everywhereToday people just eat all day long arent terribly interested in doing a fat lot that involves getting off their arse.Drive down the road a hundred yards to a shop and when they hit their forties generally think' well thats it, no point me bothering about staying fit now'....over simplification yes...but also not far from the truth.
    I think.the film Wall E summed up a lot of it quite well.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 10-02--2017 at 04:17 PM.

My first piece of advice would be to chuck away the scales, people I have known who are trying, or have tried to loose weight become obsessed with every pound they either manage to lose or put back on this in itself seems to create much unnecessary stress.

Second would be to stop calorie counting. again people tend to become obsessed with working out how many calories are in each morsel of food they eat. this will only lead to feelings of guilt, followed by more stress.

Third would be don't skip breakfast. It has been said that if you skip breakfast, your body will try to hold on to it's next meal or snack as a reserve. therefore a good brekkie should equal a good metabolism.

Next is to get and stay active. You don't have to take up jogging, dogging or what ever else gets you breathless, just do more physical stuff. Walk to the shop if you can rather than drive, dig the garden, sweep the yard, wash the car by hand. If you start to incorporate this sort of practical stuff into your lifestyle then not only will you get fitter, but you will achieve a better sense of achievement.
    Try and stick to 3 square un-proceesd meals without the unhealthy snacks in between you will find that if you are busier then you will have less time to snack on crap between meals.

And finally don't ever , never ever buy or eat anything with the words 'Low Fat' or 'Diet' in the title.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Ooooo those survivors on the starship in Wall E. It's almost a documentary.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Strangely Lonesome Lonesomestranger's Avatar
    Blimey, this thread has taken off a bit since I last looked at it.
    Thanks for all the input everyone, it's great to read all the different viewpoints.

I'd be quoting all day if I replied to you all individually, but to answer a few of your questions...

On an average working day that is a pretty accurate list of what goes in through my mouth. Maybe once a week I'm guilty of a fast food lunch binge. That is a trend I will stop. Haven't had one this week, i'll try and keep it that way.

Weekends I'll sometimes miss breakfast altogether, or have a couple of slices of toast with some Flora marge on.
    If i'm at home i'll prep some lunch, but again, it usually defaults to sandwiches of some description. ( i see a pattern forming here )
    Tea/evening meal can be anything from a pataks curry sauce with diced chicken breast and a few peppers dropped in, with some home made egg fried rice to go with it ( but this will be a large portion ), but I am guilty of ordering a takeaway or cooking something equally unhealthy.
    These weekend habits need to be addressed too, I know! I'm starting off small and working my way up to the big changes, my mind seems to reject big sudden changes and I tend to relapse quickly.

I don't eat sweets or chocolate. Even as a kid i've never really been a big sweet eater. If i was to 'snack' on anything it would be crisps or savoury foods. While at work I don't snack between meals. I'm too busy doing what I should be! I can count on my fingers how many times I will eat chocolate or sweets in a year.

I don't drink much alcohol at all. In fact, the year before last I got given 24 cans of bitter from a customer as a Christmas tip and they lasted me well into the summer. Yes really!

Generally speaking i'm not shy of taking the long walk to somewhere, unless i've got have lots of stuff to carry. I am also the guy who parks his car at the other end of the carpark.

As for spending a lot of time sitting, yes I do, but only while driving though. I'm a printer engineer by trade, so when I do get to where I need to be, I spend the rest of the time mainly standing up or scrawling round on my hands and knees, fixing and servicing machinery. Not strenuous in any way, apart from the odd bit of heavy lifting, but certainly not stagnant and stuck at a desk/in a chair all day.
    I tried one of those pedometer things last year just to see, and I seem to average about 5000 steps a day during the week. Could be better, could be worse.

You'll be pleased to hear that so far i've been very good today.
    Started off with roughly 2/3 of the muesli i would normally have. Had the same amount of milk though. Still, less overall quantity.
    On the way to work I had roughly half a small bottle of water to drink. I wasn't thirsty, but thought i wasn't drinking enough water.
    When I got to the office, I had a cup of tea with a sweetener and a little less milk than I'd normally have.
    Back out on the road, and finished off the water. Stopped at a service station to see what I could pick up that looked a better choice than sandwiches for lunch. Thought i'd go posh and went into M&S and picked up a piri piri chicken pasta salad and a sweet chilli chicken noodle salad and a litre bottle of water.
    Both of these proved to be very tasty, so i'm going to look into making stuff like this myself over the weekend, with a view to taking it with me to work next week.
    This afternoon, I've drank about half the litre bottle of water. That's all.
    I'll be having beans on toast shortly for tea, with a glass of pure orange juice as planned.

So, not too bad so far I think.

One thing i did notice though, Is i really don't drink as much as I thought I did. I've probably taken less than a litre of liquid in all day so far. That can't be good?

As for exercise, well i'm going out for the day tomorrow, so plan on getting 6-7 miles of walking under my belt. that should kick start me into the mood again.

Thanks again for the input and kind words everyone.
    It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Ecobob, itinerant child, NomadicRT, Rick69

Sounds like you had a good day........min 2 litres of fluid a day pref water as tea and coffee are dehydrators...thats the scientifically recommended figure.

Heavenly Creature

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    The more you excercise,the more you want to excercise as you find yourself much more motivated when in good health physically and mentally.
    Keep up the great work xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by itinerant child View Post
    The more you excercise,the more you want to excercise as you find yourself much more motivated when in good health physically and mentally.
    Keep up the great work xx
    That is very true, and I am off to the beach with Gracie to burn some fat cells

Been said but truly - exercise more and eat less. Become used to your body telling you its hungry instead of eating out of habit. Eating less is no good though if you eat rubbish. Educate yourself to eat what is actually giving you the right kind of fuel to sustain your hopefully started new exercise regime
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Be wary of prepared salads. The fat in added dressings make them worse that the average sandwich. As you said, making your own is the best bet.
    If you are only taking 5000 steps, that's half of what you should be doing.

Have to agree with a few of the people on about cutting out sugar, For health reasons other than weight we have cut out refined sugar completely in our house from the diet. We now only have sugar which comes from fruits and other things naturally.
    Since we cut it out we have had no issues with losing weight. If anything its a problem to us to keep weight on which was never an issue before. But we can live with that problem . lol

It is a bit of a pain looking at every ingredient within anything you buy, But there are always ways of having the same foods without any sugar in. You just have to start making them yourself.
    I never dreamt that things like Mayonnaise or Tinned Soups had sugar in previously. Why on earth does soup need sugar.
    And mayonnaise is the easiest thing to make once you've done it once. No need to separate the yolks like everyone says.

We use an enormous amount of dates now though, In home made cookies / bars / brownies etc.

Good luck with the weight loss everyone.