THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Escape to the Wild.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male

Escape to the Wild.

Thursdays channel 4, 9Pm with Jimmy Doherty.
    anyone see this one last night, a couple from London living in the Canadian Yukon, nearest neighbour 30 miles away.
    I liked this very much, would suit me, Canada is my second favourite place, but I think the winter temperatures of MINUS 30 would put me off, well at least it would keep the nosy away.
    did you watch it, what do you think??
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Sex
    Male
    I watched it on plus 1 it was a good episode Doherty is a good choice as a presenter and I was very jealous that place would be paradise for me (minus the bossy wife).
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I watched it on plus 1 it was a good episode Doherty is a good choice as a presenter and I was very jealous that place would be paradise for me (minus the bossy wife).
    yes I noticed that, I also noticed she was the one doing all the shooting.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Not watched it,but shall keep my eye out on youtube for it,thanks.

Minus 30 is lovely,there air is so fresh and there are no germs. You want to throw on an extra layer or two !!

I went up into the artic circle to see the northern lights quite a few years ago and spent a couple of weeks around the tromso area in the north of Norway and it dropped to minus 35 there,but with the right clothes it was lovely. The only downside was that it never got light. There was a moment when it looked like day may be on its way and then it disapeared again.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    temperature here dosent go much lower than minus 3 or minus 5, so minus 30 would be a bit of a culture shock!!

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I think a couple of time last year it went to -45 ish in parts of Canada.
    Its been a long time since it was cold here but when i lived in Shropshire in early 80's when we had snow and ice for 6 weeks the official temp at RAF shawbury not far away was -28c my landrover axles froze and the trucks i was driving the diesel went gunky and airlines filled with ice...fun times.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male
    I know what you mean. I had to drive across france with my accelerator jamming down after about every ten miles because of it freezing up.Exciting stuff !! I kept my stove in all the way across country so that I always had some embers to put under it to thaw it out. It was too cold for plod being out,so didnt get bothered about the smoke chuffing out of the chimney whilst bimbling down the road.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Sex
    Male
    Quite fresh with the wind chill I would imagine, you'd be in the cabin in hibernation mode next to a roaring fire living off the reserves you've squirrelled away all summer, nice..
    Last edited by Offgrid hero; 10-02--2017 at 07:00 PM.
    just a simple guy

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    I know what you mean. I had to drive across france with my accelerator jamming down after about every ten miles because of it freezing up.Exciting stuff !! I kept my stove in all the way across country so that I always had some embers to put under it to thaw it out. It was too cold for plod being out,so didnt get bothered about the smoke chuffing out of the chimney whilst bimbling down the road.
    Yes the roads that were passable were just 8 inches of solid ice with huge banks of deep powder snow either side which whirled up into mini blizzards with any breeze .When it gets down to those temperatures in the countrside you can almost feel.and hear the tension.I love it but doesnt happen often enough here.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

It looked great but I can't see how two uk citizens were able to move there? Can you buy a visa if you move somewhere that remote?

Sex
    Male
    yes i watched it she was wearing the trousers dont ya think..

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Yes the roads that were passable were just 8 inches of solid ice with huge banks of deep powder snow either side which whirled up into mini blizzards with any breeze .When it gets down to those temperatures in the countrside you can almost feel.and hear the tension.I love it but doesnt happen often enough here.
    I love the silence you get from a good dump of snow , but I am half deaf now , so a light frost does the trick
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    Not watched it,but shall keep my eye out on youtube for it,thanks.

Minus 30 is lovely,there air is so fresh and there are no germs. You want to throw on an extra layer or two !!

I went up into the artic circle to see the northern lights quite a few years ago and spent a couple of weeks around the tromso area in the north of Norway and it dropped to minus 35 there,but with the right clothes it was lovely. The only downside was that it never got light. There was a moment when it looked like day may be on its way and then it disapeared again.
    When I was up in the Arctic Circle it didn't get dark, constant day-light, that was weird

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    When I was up in the Arctic Circle it didn't get dark, constant day-light, that was weird
    The midnight sun indeed,it is on the cards for me in the very near future.

I asked a guy up north "How do you know when it is night time"? He responded,it is simple,people wobble at night
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Uncle jhad

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Newjerseychick
    It looked great but I can't see how two uk citizens were able to move there? Can you buy a visa if you move somewhere that remote?
    they bought the place from the last owner, since they are virtually self employed on their own land then immigration probably isn't a problem.