Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

I do multi-drop delivery for Hermes - it's shit, don't get minimum wage, supposedly "self-employed" but they tell you what to do and when to do it, no holidays at all, work 6 days a week. Can't for them to go under a HMRC investigation. I've been squirrelling away the money so hope to leave in t minus 6 weeks.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by FiveAlive
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I do multi-drop delivery for Hermes - it's shit, don't get minimum wage, supposedly "self-employed" but they tell you what to do and when to do it, no holidays at all, work 6 days a week. Can't for them to go under a HMRC investigation. I've been squirrelling away the money so hope to leave in t minus 6 weeks.
    That sounds shit. Loads of dodgy companies with "self employed" contractors.

In my mind if you have a company telling you what to do, where to go and when your employed.

Have you considered taking agency work just to help you find something else?

The agency I got my job with were pretty good despite my previous attitudes towards agency work.

I'll admit I grafted like hell to get this job when I was agency but its above min wage. 5 days per week and overtime. Although I hate been hammered for overtime but I'll happily do hours here and there

Mostly support special needs,disabled young people in the community and the elderly and vulnerable in their own homes paid little.Manage small private woodland for conservation only,conservation and animal welfare projects voluntary.Hand to mouth gets very weary.Years ago farmworker and groom till back gave out.I admit I would like to have wed a rich farmer when I had youth and fertility to barter with,just because I wonder what it must be like to not try so hard to get loot just sat on my ass,on an arab stallion preferably.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, verticalis48

I have a corner office with great views, meet loads of good folks, drive a 125,000 vehicle in comfort.......

Yes, you guessed it......I'm a bus driver.
    ​Humph!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Dix les Faites, frame69, itinerant child, Sootyfoot, verticalis48

Originally Posted by NickJ
    That sounds shit. Loads of dodgy companies with "self employed" contractors.

In my mind if you have a company telling you what to do, where to go and when your employed.

Have you considered taking agency work just to help you find something else?

The agency I got my job with were pretty good despite my previous attitudes towards agency work.

I'll admit I grafted like hell to get this job when I was agency but its above min wage. 5 days per week and overtime. Although I hate been hammered for overtime but I'll happily do hours here and there
    My experience with agencies hasn't been good... A whole load of fake adverts just to get you on their books. I'm exploring online income sources and should have enough savings to live from the van for 6 months so hopefully something will come of that.

The following users think this post is groovy: verticalis48

Originally Posted by FiveAlive
    My experience with agencies hasn't been good... A whole load of fake adverts just to get you on their books. I'm exploring online income sources and should have enough savings to live from the van for 6 months so hopefully something will come of that.
    There are a lot of dodgy ones out there. But some value their reputation.

I just found it useful as my business was dying and I needed something else all my qualifications and licences from my previous lines of work had long expired and I didnt know what to do.

I guess I landed lucky landing "not a bad shit job" its not what I hoped to do but it'll do for now.

I work the bar here....

Frame.
    Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Dix les Faites, patchypete, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I used to be in 98/99 the head gardener just down the road at the coliseum at carlyon bay
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: frame69

I think it got bulldozed couple of years ago

Seen some great bands there.

Frame.

Yes,they came up with an idea to turn it into a huge holiday complex.

I roadied with our local crew there for hawkwind,blondie and various other good outfits and in the evenings after work on the weekend I did the lighting and was 2nd Dj in the night club there.

Used to like it around the snozzle (st austell area ).

Originally Posted by itinerant child

Used to like it around the snozzle (st austell area ).
    I like St Aus too. Spent many years around the clay pits fixing shit. Big shit.

Frame.

wow,big tra'er

wow,big tra'er
    Tis that me boy

Frame.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

I clean windows, it suits me, I work when I want to and have days off when I want. Its good money though, about 30 an hour when I'm motivated.
    The following users think this post is groovy: frame69, itinerant child, verticalis48

If you can make 30 quid an hour, then a month of being motivated would open up the financial posibility of many great experiences by rewarding you with 6720 pounds with just working eight hour days seven days a week.

Nice to know that you have got that within your grasp,well done you

If you can make 30 quid an hour, then a month of being motivated would open up the financial posibility of many great experiences by rewarding you with 6720 pounds with just working eight hour days seven days a week.

Nice to know that you have got that within your grasp,well done you
    I don't know that I could sustain that level of 'motivation' for that long. Its hard physical work and quite tedious. I have blitz days when I try to steam on through but a couple of them in a row and I'm starting to lose the plot a bit. A week of it and I would be knackered. I've done it in the past but now I just cruise it a bit more.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, verticalis48

Maybe the idea of a sexy maiden seeing to all your needs on a tropical beach in fiji for three months could give you that motivation

Maybe the idea of a sexy maiden seeing to all your needs on a tropical beach in fiji for three months could give you that motivation
    My cousin lives in a hippy community in Goa so I have a ready made destination to head for.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Dix les Faites, gophangover, verticalis48

Is your cousin a sexy maiden then ?

oh,this is getting worrying now,heed my advice,dont have kids

I work for BT, now working on network designs from home , worked for the same company for the last 34 years ( note to self : must get a proper job and start a career )

please kind sir,if I went out and pumped my money into a bt mobile phone and did my bit too help your employers flourish,could you sneak me 30 years of free credit
    The following users think this post is groovy: Levey

Transcending

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Sounds a horrid job , I would have thought they could test gas with a machine of some sort , hope he gets a claim for personal injury caused by work . Crossed my mind a 'proffesional bum' might be a job in the test department of a suppositry factory too ?
    they do have machines but they are a bit rubbish... i was driving down the road whaen i got an awfull stink of gas ... 50 yrds down the road were 2 workmen with these machines.. i asked them why they were there when the leak is 50 yrds up the road under that bush ?.. wow! can you smell it ? ... CAN'T you ??.. i said ... do you want a job ? was the next question from them !.. lol.. i have often thought about that job offer.. didn't really think it was a serious proposition !!.. maybe need to look into it ??...

Is your cousin a sexy maiden then ?
    No, the cousin who lives in Goa is a weirdo with a long grey beard and a pony tail who appears to have fried his brains with 'whatever' over the years. You can have some truly surreal conversations with him.

please kind sir,if I went out and pumped my money into a bt mobile phone and did my bit too help your employers flourish,could you sneak me 30 years of free credit
    Many years ago it was found that by using a particular varnish of the back of a phone card it could prolong its life , hence the decline of the phone card ..OUTRAGOUS I SAY , A SLIGHT ON THE SHAREHOLDERS OF THIS INDUSTRY THAT WAS PAID FOR BY THE GOOD TAXPAYERS OF THE UK !!
    Bring back Buzby ....
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, Offgrid hero