THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1 A DAY CHALLENGE

I started off well today with porridge and a sprinkle of mixed spice but then i bought two steak's that weren't even on offer.
    just a simple guy

lone wolf survivalist.
    you pays your money and makes your choice OGH
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I started off well today with porridge and a sprinkle of mixed spice but then i bought two steak's that weren't even on offer.
    You deserve a couple of steaks mate, after eating all that tinned stuff all the time

I will be giving one of the steak's to my dog,not sure if that makes it better or worse.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    You deserve a couple of steaks mate, after eating all that tinned stuff all the time
    That's exactly what I said to myself.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Heavenly Creature
    Definitely better for the dog
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

lone wolf survivalist.
    don't you mean better IN the dog??

Originally Posted by hagrid
    don't you mean better IN the dog??

Frame.
    Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, Rick69

Originally Posted by oddballdave
    A girl in Bristol did this challenge for a year.Wrote a book which I read in the library.
    One positive I took from her experience was to be careful with the reduced cakes/bread/pastries.
    After about three months of eating a lot of white bread and very little else, she felt bloated and very unwell.

Go for the cheap/reduced/in season vegetables one pot meal and just use the bread to mop up the gravy.

My 1 meal is Toad in the hole.
    Frozen sausages tend to be cheapest round here.
    Bag of flour lasts ages.
    If I go out of town, it is possible to buy eggs in ones or twos at the farm gate.

This is very true Dave
    its best to stick to small amounts & wholemeal when it comes to bread, flour & pasta. You have to go easy on the spuds also.
    The white stuff is nasty

I love toad in the hole

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    TBH, and I speak from experience, you would be surprised what you can do in one pan, or with one ring.
    Currently we have two rings and a grill, and I can do a christmas dinner with it! I cheat and use a pre roasted chicken!!
    It doesn't always come in at a pound though. With free veg and potatoes, it's not far off.
    I quite often get a pre cooked chicken at the supermarket
    sometimes they are on offer & a real bargain. All nice & hot in the bag ready to eat! Saves on the oven. All I have to do then is knock up a salad & coleslaw or put some frozen veg in a pot & zap a jacket spud in the pingy.

Originally Posted by Bernie
    If I go to Morrisons about half an hour before they close there is nearly always a lot of bread on good reductions. Its sometimes 9p a loaf and sometimes its the good seedy stuff, its a lottery. A lot of items from the deli counter get good reductions too at that time of day.

Learning the art of reduced price shopping requires effort because different shops do it different ways and at different times
    I took my girl shopping on sunday at Morrisons & we go about 2pm, when we were leaving the car park at 3ish everybody was driving in
    loads of them! Then I realised they were leaving it to the last minute to get the bargains. I never seem to like much on the sticker shelf though
    plus you can feel the hostility in the air
    IM FCKN HAVING THAT ITS MINE!!! Even though they dont actually say that, you just know!
    My girl had to fight for her reduced pizza
    she used to be such a quiet thing. She blocked someone with her trolley. I pretended I wasnt with her, cringed & legged it up the aisle

Heavenly Creature
    It's fine if a pre roasted chicken goes cold. Cut it in half and put it in a griddle or iron pan. Put a lid on it and turn it a couple of times. It soon heats up. That's how I do Christmas dinner!

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Do I have to include alcohol in this?????
    Absolutely not
    that just wouldn't work.

We could try doing homebrew I suppose

Originally Posted by Bernie
    It can be good to set yourself challenges. Then learn skills to meet the challenge. I enjoy shopping for the best value items, it makes me feel that I am beating the system in some small way. Silly probably but just humour me, Haha!
    I get a bit like that
    I always feel a bit smug if I dont pay full price. I get so cross with these big giant rip off merchants. Its advertising that gets up my nose

Although, saying that, some of these little people don't help themselves sometimes at farmers markets & the like. You do have to shop about.
    I suppose they all have different overheads & even the local market peeps are struggling.
    As long as somebody isnt taking the peewee then I'm happy.
    Last edited by Roamer; 16-02--2017 at 04:37 PM.

You got a few quid tucked away then?

Turning On
    This thread is really interesting reading and something I will definitely try for fun at some point in the future.

I sometimes play around with intermittent fasting. Well by that I mean only eating one big meal in the evening. There seems to be lots of health benefits and may be easier to get a pretty awesome big meal for a quid.

The other thing is that this is probably a healthy thing to do in general. There seems to be a scientific consensus that although we are extremely early into the study of aging, of what we know so far the single best way to slow down aging, push back the onset of disease and live longer is through a calorie restricted diet (without malnutrition of course). The figure I heard is that a 15% reduction in calories prolongs life by 4.5 years.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Raffi, Roamer

Originally Posted by Roamer
    You got a few quid tucked away then?
    No not me, just a moment of madness in lidl's..
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Roamer

No not me, just a moment of madness in lidl's..
    I had a shocker of a day yesterday. Spent 3.50 on prawns

I'd been working & the sun was out so I thought sod it, I'm gonna treat myself. Plus it was Friday & friday is treat day!

The aim was to have half on a sandwich & save half to go with my cheapo curry sauce for another day but I was starvin
    so I got greedy

I have taken myself to task for it though & I am going to be very strict with myself next week.

lone wolf survivalist.
    last of the big spenders, eh Roamer?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Roamer, Sootyfoot

You have to be so organised to do it religiously
    I'm still learning though & at least I do feel guilty when I get a bit extravagant. Guilt is good.

I had egg on toast earlier & not really hungry now so that makes up for my naughtyness yesterday.
    I'm very good at justifying to myself
    I need to stop that
    The following users think this post is groovy: Bernie

Originally Posted by hagrid
    last of the big spenders, eh Roamer?
    Times are hard haggie

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Roamer
    Times are hard haggie
    actually I don't think I've had it so good.

I'm doing a jam & coconut sponge today

I will be back later with photos & costings

Heavenly Creature
    If I can't have freegan food, how about final reductions?
    Today we had giant chicken and mushroom bbq pizza 1.20 (down from 3.50) olive bread 20p (down from 1) and choux buns for 25p (down from 1.15) so two meals for 1.65.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd