THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1 A DAY CHALLENGE

1 A DAY CHALLENGE

I'ts definitely a challenge
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I've been giving it a go.

I needed to tighten my belt but its really quite fun once you get going
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You are allowed to start with a basic stock cupboard, so all your dried pots for your flavourings like dried herbs, seasonings, vinegars & things like that. Flour & all that general baking stuff is allowed in your store cupboard too. You get all that stuff first & then off you go

Obviously it helps if you have your very own little veg plot & I am going to be having a go at growing my own lettuce & salad leaves & radish
    apparently any idiot can grow these so I thought I'd give it a whirl

It really makes you think about what you are buying & eating & wasting. Its a very worthwhile experiment.

Yesterday I had one egg on a slice of granary toast with half a tin of tomatoes for brekkie.
    For lunch I had leftovers from the night before.
    Dinner was 2 toads in a hole of homemade batter & I fried up in olive oil & a bit of butter some tinned new potatoes with a handful of frozen veg & had lashings of gravy.

Very tasty & all for a quid!

Sooooo I thought we could have a 1 a day recipe thread
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, wanderingwill

I like
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Roamer

Been doing it for the last 5 years,TBH i`m getting a bit thin and pissed off with it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, likahamadoolihan

Heavenly Creature
    Top idea. It's way too easy though. You had one egg for breakfast. Do you just divide the cost of say a dozen eggs by twelve? If not, how do you keep the cost to 1?
    Last night we had spaghetti carbanara.
    It was freegan'd ready meal carbanara, topped up with a pack of free ham, a free leek, and half a block of free cheese.
    So er free really. Does that count?

The night before was a reduced meal. A garlic chicken pizza for 20p.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, nomis, Sootyfoot, yazz

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Top idea. It's way too easy though. You had one egg for breakfast. Do you just divide the cost of say a dozen eggs by twelve? If not, how do you keep the cost to 1?
    Last night we had spaghetti carbanara.
    It was freegan'd ready meal carbanara, topped up with a pack of free ham, a free leek, and half a block of free cheese.
    So er free really. Does that count?

The night before was a reduced meal. A garlic chicken pizza for 20p.
    It's 10p an egg.
    Bread is errrm well if we say ... I can do 5p a slice

Vannie you have to buy it for it to count

I'm going shopping with you next week!

Originally Posted by nomis
    Been doing it for the last 5 years,TBH i`m getting a bit thin and pissed off with it.
    Well then you've come to the right place nomis

What's your favourite foods?

We will soon have you full & happy.

One life, live it
    Good topic Roamer!

Aldi porridge for breakfast (75p for a 1kg bag) works out about 5p a day
    Last edited by Bernie; 14-02--2017 at 06:52 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, wanderingwill

Stop it
    I get embarrassed.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roamer
    It's 10p an egg.

A 10p egg comes from an unhappy chicken , and 5p a slice bread is full off salt , and god knows what else . Pay a wee bit more and eat good food . If you can only afford 7 a week on food in the UK there is something seriously wrong some where along the line .
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, dollybassett

Fab idea

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Roamer
    It's 10p an egg.

You just have to loiter about the bakery and other reduced sections for the final reductions. My idea is to buy good stuff (reduced) at the same price as the cheapo rubbish or less.
    20p for an unsliced small chilli or cornbread loaf, 20p for a large fresh pizza, you get the idea!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, r3ubs, wanderingwill

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    A 10p egg comes from an unhappy chicken , and 5p a slice bread is full off salt , and god knows what else . Pay a wee bit more and eat good food . If you can only afford 7 a week on food in the UK there is something seriously wrong some where along the line .
    Free range

Bread is just normal stuff
    I'm still alive.
    I can't help it if I'm skint
    mrs judgey.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Raffi

You just have to loiter about the bakery and other reduced sections for the final reductions. My idea is to buy good stuff (reduced) at the same price as the cheapo rubbish or less.
    20p for an unsliced small chilli or cornbread loaf, 20p for a large fresh pizza, you get the idea!
    I've tried loitering but after about 20 seconds it gets awkward

Then I do a second trip
    thats even worse coz the staff clock you

Anyway
    this thread is for recipe suggestions.

Can I not go anywhere
    Aman sort em out.

Heavenly Creature
    The guy in the corsa just made baked beans (23p) with onions (30p for two, so 15p) garlic (20p for a bulb, use 2 cloves) and fresh tomato (60p for 6) with a reduced chicken portion (50p).

The guy in the corsa just made baked beans (23p) with onions (30p for two, so 15p) garlic (20p for a bulb, use 2 cloves) and fresh tomato (60p for 6) with a reduced chicken portion (50p).
    That sounds very tasty apart from the garlic
    I cant even whiff the stuff without heaving.

He sounds like a good cook though

A girl in Bristol did this challenge for a year.Wrote a book which I read in the library.
    One positive I took from her experience was to be careful with the reduced cakes/bread/pastries.
    After about three months of eating a lot of white bread and very little else, she felt bloated and very unwell.

Go for the cheap/reduced/in season vegetables one pot meal and just use the bread to mop up the gravy.

My 1 meal is Toad in the hole.
    Frozen sausages tend to be cheapest round here.
    Bag of flour lasts ages.
    If I go out of town, it is possible to buy eggs in ones or twos at the farm gate.

Heavenly Creature
    TBH, and I speak from experience, you would be surprised what you can do in one pan, or with one ring.
    Currently we have two rings and a grill, and I can do a christmas dinner with it! I cheat and use a pre roasted chicken!!
    It doesn't always come in at a pound though. With free veg and potatoes, it's not far off.

One life, live it
    If I go to Morrisons about half an hour before they close there is nearly always a lot of bread on good reductions. Its sometimes 9p a loaf and sometimes its the good seedy stuff, its a lottery. A lot of items from the deli counter get good reductions too at that time of day.

Learning the art of reduced price shopping requires effort because different shops do it different ways and at different times
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Roamer

Heavenly Creature
    It is worth the effort though. That's why I said the challenge was too easy!

Do I have to include alcohol in this?????
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Rick69, Roamer

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Do I have to include alcohol in this?????
    Post one only mentions eating so only if you are cooking with it
    The following users think this post is groovy: realnutter, Roamer

One life, live it

It is worth the effort though. That's why I said the challenge was too easy!
    It can be good to set yourself challenges. Then learn skills to meet the challenge. I enjoy shopping for the best value items, it makes me feel that I am beating the system in some small way. Silly probably but just humour me, Haha!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cartman, Roamer

lone wolf survivalist.
    most of our meals cost around 1 per person, i'm saying most of the time not just the odd one, shop around and buy stuff on offer, and don't eat American size portions-have some portion control.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"