THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: URGENT! Stop Brighton making it illegal to live in a van

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    Have a look at this to see some of what's been brought in http://manifestoclub.info/category/pspos/

They missed Bedford, Mansfield and Newport which deemed cycling to be anti social behaviour.

Solihull declared motorcycling along certain roads to be anti social. Brought in to combat the uninsured, unlicensed, untaxed and untested antisocial hooligans.

There have also been a number of PSPO's against 'gatherings' of folk, for any reason. Because the powers that be can't be arsed to enforce the laws they have when this sledgehammer gives carte blanche.

bloody hell this is bad news sounds like our goverment is the nazzi party or do we call them tories these days...

Bad news all round. Keep signing peeps. Toby.

Heavenly Creature
    This needs to reach 2000! 1279 so far.

Heavenly Creature
    Bump! This needs more signature, it seems to have ground to a halt. Please sign!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Chilling Out
    Signed. ☺

Heavenly Creature
    This has stalled!
    Think about it. Even if you don't live in your van, but one day hope to, you may not get the chance if this gets taken up country wide.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, FriedOnion, NomadicRT, wanderingwill

1288 people signed isnt a very convincing response...I doubt its a fraction of the numbers of us it may affect if it gets passed.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

A google of change.org for Public Space Protection Orders shows there have been a lot of petitions raised.

One Hackney petition about the criminalisation of Rough Sleepers (ie anyone not in bricks and mortar, so includes vehicle dwellers) gained 80K signatures but failed to sway the council.
    Many of these petitions raised 80 signatures!!!

A single youtube video which went Viral, persuaded them to put the Order on hold.

Better tactics, regarding the councils use of public funding and the criminalisation of minorities, may be the publicity surrounding the snouts in the trough.
    Sadly it needs to be directed from within the area.

keeping his own council on their toes!

TBh its one of the reasons i dont much care for these petition sites because no one checks beforehand to see if there is already one going on the issue theyre interested in so you end up with numerous petitions covering the same issue and signatures being diluted across all of them.The same happens on the government petitions site.

I think thats why viral videos work better because they pick up quickly and attract the attention required and the issue does not get so diluted and the high profile embarrassment factor is much more effective than presenting a petition to someone that they subsequently file in the darkest store room they can find.

The very reason a lot of these stupid bylaws gain traction is because opposition to them is so fragmented and piecemeal..
    The following users think this post is groovy: MacMac

And the problem with Viral Video is that it is being used as a marketing tool, so it may be staged.

Which is contrary to the intent.

Hence the need for local people to keep poking the powers that be, reminding them of the need as Patrick Swayze put it

Be Nice

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, treestump

Theres always thst risk in pressure groups and lobbying ...staged videos or hidden agendas...i think the answer is a joined up approach of using all media available to reach a common goal.....we're back to fragmented and piecemeal without some coordination.The best campaigns succeed because theyre coordinated and well orchestrated.
    The following users think this post is groovy: MacMac

Quote Originally Posted by oddballdave View Post
    And the problem with Viral Video is that it is being used as a marketing tool, so it may be staged.

Which is contrary to the intent.

Hence the need for local people to keep poking the powers that be, reminding them of the need as Patrick Swayze put it

Be Nice

Being nice does not always work. But i guess people have to do what they can live with.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Heavenly Creature
    BUMP!! Still not 1300 signatures yet. Come on people!

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    I've signed and shared.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Heavenly Creature
    This petition his to be delivered in a few days, and is still over 600 signatures short.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I've given it a boost on our Facebook page.

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks Paul, but you know what? Perhaps you could leave the multiple threads about this?
    JUST THIS ONCE.
    This subject could finish all of us that live in our vehicles in towns.
    It's not a self titled, self centred, attention seeking non topic. This is serious.
    So just once, leave any thread about this alone please. The more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Thanks Paul, but you know what? Perhaps you could leave the multiple threads about this?
    JUST THIS ONCE.
    It isn't fair to cherry pick one subject over the other.

I get the importance, but the threads themselves don't help in terms of traffic because they don't explain anything - I haven't deleted all of them so they're still there.

It's at the top of the list anyway - anyone clicking "new posts or "today's posts" will see it first regardless. The best way is to keep the conversation going as any new posts will bump it down rather than help it.

The facebook post has had over 200 hits already but only one new signature. So, if you are on facebook, then you can also like, share and comment on the post - be a bit contentious and try to engage discussion.

Heavenly Creature
    Firstly, I am not on facebook or twitter., and I am not alone
    Secondly, this is THE most important subject on this forum.
    I have met at least one forum member who had no idea how to view new threads forum wide. Many members don't come on the Nomadic Living section. They won't see the thread if that's the only section it's in.
    Why not make this a sticky if nothing else?
    Not fair to cherry pick one subject over another?
    Would you call if fair if my home was taken off me and I was fined just for living in it?

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Secondly, this is THE most important subject on this forum.
    No, this is just subjective.It's important to a lot of people, but defining the importance of one subject over another isn't my job.

To me, the most important issue is animal rights
    To others, Donald Trump is the most important issue
    Loads of people care about that oil pipeline more than anything
    And some people simply don't care about anything, and that's also their prerogative.

This isn't even the petitions forum, where people have all posted things very important to them... some of these people will undoubtedly consider their causes to be utterly vital: http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/forumdi...tion-Campaigns

It's a valid discussion and cause, but not the most important discussion on the planet for everyone.

I have an idea to boost this... please bear with me for a few minutes.

Heavenly Creature
    OK pedantry aside, lets put it this way. If I don't have anywhere to live, I sure as hell won't be interested in the culling of hares or leaving the EU.
    If you can't see that, there is something very wrong with you.