THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: URGENT! Stop Brighton making it illegal to live in a van

URGENT! Stop Brighton making it illegal to live in a van

New law banning mobile living in Brighton will be rolled out across the country if not nipped in the bud.

https://www.change.org/p/peter-castl...-across-the-uk
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Fire-Tree, tehomet

PSPO's have been used to ban cycling in town centres, children (under 18's) gathering in groups of more than two, ban the consumption of alcohol in designated space.

Biggest sledgehammer enacted by parliament in recent times.

The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Heavenly Creature
    So are the Brighton and Hove Council actually carrying this out? I remember Parrot and Crow starting a thread on this a while ago, but couldn't find anything about it.
    This is not good at all.
    That said, I doubt the Police in London will have the time or interest to act on this. I could be wrong though.
    Also, I don't understand why Brighton and Hove of all places have gone for this. It's not exactly Kensington and Chelsea is it? The only thing is, how will this particular petition do anything? If it was the official Gov website it might have a very slim chance of the Government taking any notice.

Signed and shared.

Heavenly Creature
    I know this is only the start, but looking at the list it seems to mainly prohibits camping/living in parkland. I wouldn't in a million years pitch up in a public park.
    Obviously this doesn't need (in the eyes of the council) to be a full and final list. It could be added to, and be extended to all of the council's property, including any public street.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Also, I don't understand why Brighton and Hove of all places have gone for this. It's not exactly Kensington and Chelsea is it?
    A LOT of the residents would like to think it is!! Specially Hove...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Roamer

The petition stands at 800+ and needs 2000 to get a debate before it is passed on March 7th (I think). There isn't normally a debate.

ultimately, anyone living mobile will be shut down with threat of prison.
    Last edited by Diddekoi; 15-02--2017 at 09:35 AM.

I know this is only the start, but looking at the list it seems to mainly prohibits camping/living in parkland. I wouldn't in a million years pitch up in a public park.
    Obviously this doesn't need (in the eyes of the council) to be a full and final list. It could be added to, and be extended to all of the council's property, including any public street.
    That's exactly what it's about. If a homeless person uses a tent they will have it confiscated and be fined.

Any space defined as public including car parks, fields, roadside, etc. Even a bbq in a park would qualify.

I could live in a van in Brighton for a year and nobody would even know I was there. I bet Brighton has loads of people sleeping on the beach, foreign campervans parked along the seafront for days, eastern European beggers and pickpockets kipping where they feel like it.

They are just gaining some control

signed

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddekoi View Post
    That's exactly what it's about. If a homeless person uses a tent they will have it confiscated and be fined.

Any space defined as public including car parks, fields, roadside, etc. Even a bbq in a park would qualify.
    I don't see a problem with it tbh. Why doesn't the homeless person living in a tent just get his parents to buy him a house? It's not rocket science.
    The following users think this post is groovy: applecore

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I could live in a van in Brighton for a year and nobody would even know I was there. I bet Brighton has loads of people sleeping on the beach, foreign campervans parked along the seafront for days, eastern European beggers and pickpockets kipping where they feel like it.

They are just gaining some control
    True, agreed.
    BUT it's all too easy for the curtain twitchers to use against who they see as 'undesirable'. It only takes one complaint, and the council have to at least investigate. Once that's done, they have the tools to get rid of you. Even if you only move on without action, the council then have a record of your van.
    What I would like to know is, as councils have the obligation to house their homeless, have they made somebody homeless by taking their van? I am sure they will have a get out clause.
    It's like permit parking. It seems like a good idea before it's in, but once in it's open to council abuse. Also, these things tend to spread. The homeless are not well known for voting. Therefore, the government (local and national) don't care about upsetting them.
    The petition is currently 966, so not quite half way there.
    I've signed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

You know what the biggest problem is? shit - that's what.

The complaints are usually not about people sleeping rough. The complaints are more often about the mess they leave behind them. Behind being the operative word.

In London they broke up the peace camp in Parliament Square because they had turned the flower beds around the square into a quagmire. Same with Lincoln's Inn fields about ten years ago

People are so stupid
    The following users think this post is groovy: Jeni Treehugger

Are you a nomadic dweller yourself, Bernie?

Are you a nomadic dweller yourself, Bernie?
    Not full time but I like to travel around when I can in my van. I don't have a proper home address if that's what you mean, only my mothers

bernie...your reply is typical of the general public im afraid.. and thats how i see it
    Last edited by wanderingwill; 15-02--2017 at 03:56 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, cricket, ma bungo, NomadicRT, Paul

signed

Heavenly Creature
    Diddekoi I think this thread needs a more attention grabbing title. Something like 'petition against Brighton council making van dwelling illegal'
    Or maybe start a new thread in the online petition section?

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I've signed it and shared it on facebook.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Diddekoi I think this thread needs a more attention grabbing title. Something like 'petition against Brighton council making van dwelling illegal'
    Or maybe start a new thread in the online petition section?
    Fair point but I think it's better off in the Nomadic section for obvious reasons. Feel free if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    I've signed it and shared it on facebook.
    Good idea! Share on FB!

lone wolf survivalist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You know what the biggest problem is? shit - that's what.

The complaints are usually not about people sleeping rough. The complaints are more often about the mess they leave behind them. Behind being the operative word.

In London they broke up the peace camp in Parliament Square because they had turned the flower beds around the square into a quagmire. Same with Lincoln's Inn fields about ten years ago

People are so stupid
    I've got to agree with Bernie, its not people sleeping-rough or otherwise- its they stuff they leave behind when they move on, I have seen it myself around Somerset and its a heath hazard.

Ok, it seems we have a new type of 'hippy' who supports the govt's attempt to penalise the weakest in society and wants our town centres and municipal spaces kept clean and tidy.

Are we going to move on to 'waste of taxpayers money' or divert into a debate on 'what is a hippy anyway?'...?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, FriedOnion, julianthegypsy, parrotandcrow, Paul, wanderingwill

lone wolf survivalist.
    Ok, it seems we have a new type of 'hippy' who supports the govt's attempt to penalise the weakest in society and wants our town centres and municipal spaces kept clean and tidy.

Are we going to move on to 'waste of taxpayers money' or divert into a debate on 'what is a hippy anyway?'...?
    you prefer to get typhoid and dysentery I assume.