THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 208

Thread: URGENT! Stop Brighton making it illegal to live in a van

  1. #1

    URGENT! Stop Brighton making it illegal to live in a van

    New law banning mobile living in Brighton will be rolled out across the country if not nipped in the bud.

    https://www.change.org/p/peter-castl...-across-the-uk
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Fire-Tree, tehomet


  2. #2
    Back on the road. oddballdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shropshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,344
    PSPO's have been used to ban cycling in town centres, children (under 18's) gathering in groups of more than two, ban the consumption of alcohol in designated space.

    Biggest sledgehammer enacted by parliament in recent times.

    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

  3. #3
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,299
    So are the Brighton and Hove Council actually carrying this out? I remember Parrot and Crow starting a thread on this a while ago, but couldn't find anything about it.
    This is not good at all.
    That said, I doubt the Police in London will have the time or interest to act on this. I could be wrong though.
    Also, I don't understand why Brighton and Hove of all places have gone for this. It's not exactly Kensington and Chelsea is it? The only thing is, how will this particular petition do anything? If it was the official Gov website it might have a very slim chance of the Government taking any notice.

  4. #4
    Signed and shared.

  5. #5
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,299
    I know this is only the start, but looking at the list it seems to mainly prohibits camping/living in parkland. I wouldn't in a million years pitch up in a public park.
    Obviously this doesn't need (in the eyes of the council) to be a full and final list. It could be added to, and be extended to all of the council's property, including any public street.

  6. #6
    Heavenly Creature realnutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Berkshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Also, I don't understand why Brighton and Hove of all places have gone for this. It's not exactly Kensington and Chelsea is it?
    A LOT of the residents would like to think it is!! Specially Hove...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Roamer

  7. #7
    The petition stands at 800+ and needs 2000 to get a debate before it is passed on March 7th (I think). There isn't normally a debate.

    ultimately, anyone living mobile will be shut down with threat of prison.
    Last edited by Diddekoi; 15-02--2017 at 09:35 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I know this is only the start, but looking at the list it seems to mainly prohibits camping/living in parkland. I wouldn't in a million years pitch up in a public park.
    Obviously this doesn't need (in the eyes of the council) to be a full and final list. It could be added to, and be extended to all of the council's property, including any public street.
    That's exactly what it's about. If a homeless person uses a tent they will have it confiscated and be fined.

    Any space defined as public including car parks, fields, roadside, etc. Even a bbq in a park would qualify.

  9. #9
    One life, live it Bernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NW London
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    63
    Posts
    770
    I could live in a van in Brighton for a year and nobody would even know I was there. I bet Brighton has loads of people sleeping on the beach, foreign campervans parked along the seafront for days, eastern European beggers and pickpockets kipping where they feel like it.

    They are just gaining some control

  10. #10
    Chilling Out jonathanh1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    409
    signed

  11. #11
    Turning On
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    uk
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddekoi View Post
    That's exactly what it's about. If a homeless person uses a tent they will have it confiscated and be fined.

    Any space defined as public including car parks, fields, roadside, etc. Even a bbq in a park would qualify.
    I don't see a problem with it tbh. Why doesn't the homeless person living in a tent just get his parents to buy him a house? It's not rocket science.
    The following users think this post is groovy: applecore

  12. #12
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I could live in a van in Brighton for a year and nobody would even know I was there. I bet Brighton has loads of people sleeping on the beach, foreign campervans parked along the seafront for days, eastern European beggers and pickpockets kipping where they feel like it.

    They are just gaining some control
    True, agreed.
    BUT it's all too easy for the curtain twitchers to use against who they see as 'undesirable'. It only takes one complaint, and the council have to at least investigate. Once that's done, they have the tools to get rid of you. Even if you only move on without action, the council then have a record of your van.
    What I would like to know is, as councils have the obligation to house their homeless, have they made somebody homeless by taking their van? I am sure they will have a get out clause.
    It's like permit parking. It seems like a good idea before it's in, but once in it's open to council abuse. Also, these things tend to spread. The homeless are not well known for voting. Therefore, the government (local and national) don't care about upsetting them.
    The petition is currently 966, so not quite half way there.
    I've signed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

  13. #13
    One life, live it Bernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NW London
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    63
    Posts
    770
    You know what the biggest problem is? shit - that's what.

    The complaints are usually not about people sleeping rough. The complaints are more often about the mess they leave behind them. Behind being the operative word.

    In London they broke up the peace camp in Parliament Square because they had turned the flower beds around the square into a quagmire. Same with Lincoln's Inn fields about ten years ago

    People are so stupid
    The following users think this post is groovy: Jeni Treehugger

  14. #14
    Are you a nomadic dweller yourself, Bernie?

  15. #15
    One life, live it Bernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NW London
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    63
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddekoi View Post
    Are you a nomadic dweller yourself, Bernie?
    Not full time but I like to travel around when I can in my van. I don't have a proper home address if that's what you mean, only my mothers

  16. #16
    wandering wanderingwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    south west
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,202
    bernie...your reply is typical of the general public im afraid.. and thats how i see it
    Last edited by wanderingwill; 15-02--2017 at 03:56 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, cricket, ma bungo, NomadicRT, Paul

  17. #17
    wandering wanderingwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    south west
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,202
    signed

  18. #18
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,299
    Diddekoi I think this thread needs a more attention grabbing title. Something like 'petition against Brighton council making van dwelling illegal'
    Or maybe start a new thread in the online petition section?

  19. #19
    Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Ramtops
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,577
    I've signed it and shared it on facebook.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Diddekoi I think this thread needs a more attention grabbing title. Something like 'petition against Brighton council making van dwelling illegal'
    Or maybe start a new thread in the online petition section?
    Fair point but I think it's better off in the Nomadic section for obvious reasons. Feel free if you want to.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    I've signed it and shared it on facebook.
    Good idea! Share on FB!

  22. #22
    lone wolf survivalist.
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The North Devon Wilderness
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You know what the biggest problem is? shit - that's what.

    The complaints are usually not about people sleeping rough. The complaints are more often about the mess they leave behind them. Behind being the operative word.

    In London they broke up the peace camp in Parliament Square because they had turned the flower beds around the square into a quagmire. Same with Lincoln's Inn fields about ten years ago

    People are so stupid
    I've got to agree with Bernie, its not people sleeping-rough or otherwise- its they stuff they leave behind when they move on, I have seen it myself around Somerset and its a heath hazard.

  23. #23
    Ok, it seems we have a new type of 'hippy' who supports the govt's attempt to penalise the weakest in society and wants our town centres and municipal spaces kept clean and tidy.

    Are we going to move on to 'waste of taxpayers money' or divert into a debate on 'what is a hippy anyway?'...?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, FriedOnion, julianthegypsy, parrotandcrow, Paul, wanderingwill

  24. #24
    lone wolf survivalist.
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The North Devon Wilderness
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddekoi View Post
    Ok, it seems we have a new type of 'hippy' who supports the govt's attempt to penalise the weakest in society and wants our town centres and municipal spaces kept clean and tidy.

    Are we going to move on to 'waste of taxpayers money' or divert into a debate on 'what is a hippy anyway?'...?
    you prefer to get typhoid and dysentery I assume.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •