THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Cost of living

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

Cost of living

Hi everyone, I've just returned from a little trip to Wales to see all my family. This time around I've really noticed a hike in prices compared to other times I've visited and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it too?
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Sex
    Male
    I live simply so haven't really noticed a difference on my shopping but derv..........
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Barrel prices rise, pump price goes up. Barrel prices fall, pump price stays the same.
    Not all who wander are lost

Sex
    Female
    Everything is going up,food,petrol,rental property,we ve noticed food in particular,not just by pennys tho,20/30p in some cases xx

Sex
    Female
    Everything goes up except the wages.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, Sootyfoot

Hey three moons would really like to speak with you about your life in Spain but I can't work out how to PM on the site . I loved your profile and you seem like the kind of amazing woman I would like to know when I move out to Spainin a couple months . Best Jen

Sex
    Female
    Hi Jen, thanks,I'm trying to use the mobile site at the moment as I'm upgrading my solar system and haven't got WiFi

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I noticed a big hike too

Sex
    Female
    Yup.. I have noticed it too.. some of tescos value products are missing from shelves, things I use for crafting like their cheapo sponges .. and their cheapo tinfoil among other stuff.. when asked I was told it was a supplier problem but other things like 5p on a packet of paracetamol and other hikes in prices I cant remember off top of my head.. and petrol.. a fiver was filling a quarter of a tank, not anymore
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?

To help with the cost of living going up we have been given a whole 1% pay rise and that's the first one in 3 years 😠
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    mmmm yes, cost of living is getting expensive, if serious profit for the few wasnt such a big deal in this greedy world, everything would be far more affordable and everyone would have enough to get by well rather than being such a big divide of have's and have not a lot and have not's. I'm quite happy being in the have not a lot bracket and get by well with what I need with a few treats thrown in.

My biggest weekly outgoing is food. I do like good food as in quality not fancy brand labels, cant afford to shop in waitrose as its over inflated, you can get equally as good at better prices in less brand orientated stores. I will buy organic on most things when available which is just about all the time these days. i work hard to live well in the food department, blue stripe bargain cheese doesnt do it for me. If I lived in a house on what I earn, I wouldnt be able to even afford bargain cheese. when I hear folk say they pay 700 in rent alone just for a roof over their heads, it makes me shudder, I know folk have got to live somewhere but I couldnt afford it. Being self employed in my work shop doesnt raise those kind of living costs.

People are being squeezed harder and harder juggling with the rising cost of living, but so many in the main stream live beyond their means and are happy to have a folder full of debt to pay back for what they borrowed on credit to buy stuff of which really isnt that necessary to live a full and wholesome life.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, nicklincs

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by wizard1luv
    mmmm yes, cost of living is getting expensive, if serious profit for the few wasnt such a big deal in this greedy world, everything would be far more affordable and everyone would have enough to get by well rather than being such a big divide of have's and have not a lot and have not's. I'm quite happy being in the have not a lot bracket and get by well with what I need with a few treats thrown in.

My biggest weekly outgoing is food. I do like good food as in quality not fancy brand labels, cant afford to shop in waitrose as its over inflated, you can get equally as good at better prices in less brand orientated stores. I will buy organic on most things when available which is just about all the time these days. i work hard to live well in the food department, blue stripe bargain cheese doesnt do it for me. If I lived in a house on what I earn, I wouldnt be able to even afford bargain cheese. when I hear folk say they pay 700 in rent alone just for a roof over their heads, it makes me shudder, I know folk have got to live somewhere but I couldnt afford it. Being self employed in my work shop doesnt raise those kind of living costs.

People are being squeezed harder and harder juggling with the rising cost of living, but so many in the main stream live beyond their means and are happy to have a folder full of debt to pay back for what they borrowed on credit to buy stuff of which really isnt that necessary to live a full and wholesome life.
    And it has to be paid back, that is what many don't really understand, just spend spend spend

The trouble is, you think you have time.

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    yep, it has to be paid back, with interest, but those in the loop of debt seem to me, to see it as a form of easy money, borrow a lump of money or have access to a lump via a credit card to a lump of money, then it gets paid back in little bits till the lump of money borrowed is paid back, in the meantime they may have borrowed more. This is all part of the greedy machine of consumerism as we well know. If used wisely and for the higher good, borrowing is maybe not a bad thing if it can be afforded by the borrower, but to use it to have stuff just to show to the world you've kept up with the latest golden baubles of fashion and outdone a lot of other Joneses and drive the most expensive car on the street, debt for those uses appears like a chain round the neck to me.

Consumersim and debt are the two things that keep the modern world turning.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Petew

Sex
    Female
    I am so happy that my parents taught me to budget well and live simply.Never had any credit cards,or any other debt.I even rang me bank and asked them to take the overdraft facility off my bank account lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, nicklincs, Rick69, wizard1luv

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Cobra
    I am so happy that my parents taught me to budget well and live simply.Never had any credit cards,or any other debt.I even rang me bank and asked them to take the overdraft facility off my bank account lol
    Ive got a credit card for one reason. I use it for online purchases, any problems and they sort it out plus the items are insured. Card is paid off in full each month. Theres a lot to be said for living within your means, i cant understand people who dont!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, ma bungo, nicklincs, Offgrid hero

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Ive got a credit card for one reason. I use it for online purchases, any problems and they sort it out plus the items are insured. Card is paid off in full each month. Theres a lot to be said for living within your means, i cant understand people who dont!
    There are those who need the cards and that unfortunately, such as people in Zero hour contracts, who have to depend on their dickhead managers to give them some hours so they might be able to scrape by each week, not a good way to exist.
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by rhythm
    There are those who need the cards and that unfortunately, such as people in Zero hour contracts, who have to depend on their dickhead managers to give them some hours so they might be able to scrape by each week, not a good way to exist.
    My post was in response to the one i quoted, not in general. Although the amount of people at work on zero hour contracts who consider a new phone and a holiday essential purchases means that they obviously have no sense.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    If I was working zero hours contract, I would consider holidays a priority as it's the one thing that would make my life feel less shit.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Rick69

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    If I was working zero hours contract, I would consider holidays a priority as it's the one thing that would make my life feel less shit.
    Zero hour contracts should be gotten rid of, they are putting folk into poverty and cycles of debt, just a license for business to exploit people. What is more worrying is the government counts these shitty contracts as employment, in order to reduce unemployment figure.
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    I would agree that a holiday would make you feel better, but people dont just take a break. Theres people at work in serious debt who think nothing of blowing 2k+ on a holiday every year. Im not judging them, its their choice but personally i cant see the sense in it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle, Cobra

Sex
    Male
    We can only cut our cloth accordingly. 8 years ago I was putting over 100 of diesel in the vehicle. Frequenting parts of the Country on a day by day basis. Now it just doesn't stretch far enough for more than the essential motoring. Food is now bordering on the insane. We can all grow a cabbage in a bit if dirt and it may just come to that in the following years. I bought 12 worth of veg seeds at the weekend. Salad leaves grown in containers are a good example of grow your own. If I sow several containers at various times. I can take one or two containers with me in the truck. Pop them on the roof when parked. Pick leaves as and when or share them out on site. Bread is another cost that can mount up. But that can be shopped around for.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, nicklincs, Petew

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by wizard1luv

Yes, define 'few'. I really
    get annoyed by retailers who sell some produce at such a mark up. Example, one year I got 1.24 per kilo of almonds. The same almonds were being sold at 15 quid a kilo. Now lets see who is the greedy one.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    the profit margins get bigger the more they are sold on. the retailers who buy or get supplied form the middle men who buy from the producers mostly have 100 % mark up other wise they dont stock it. it so wrong, the bigger margin should go to those who put the graft in to grow/make stuff, but alas no, it doesnt work like that. Coke being a prime example that is profit margined all the way, its about $300 dollars a kilo at source of production, its about 36 grand a kilo by the time it gets here, its the same with coffee and other food stuffs. the biggest profits are made by those who do the least.