THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: State Pension

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    I don't believe there will be a state pension for me when I reach retirement age in 12 years time. The system is already bust, people are living way longer than was expected when the welfare state was implemented.

I have a private pension, albeit modest, but my main plan is my smallholding which I am working to make as productive and easy to work as possible.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Best of luck with the smallholding; something we've always yearned for, along with half of UKH!

You're right about the state pension system here, but it doesn't have to be that way. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France Etc all have far better state pensions than we do. All it takes is the political will to redistribute resources to give everyone a fair deal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, ma bungo, NomadicRT, nomis, Wulfie

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by oldkeith
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Best of luck with the smallholding; something we've always yearned for, along with half of UKH!

You're right about the state pension system here, but it doesn't have to be that way. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France Etc all have far better state pensions than we do. All it takes is the political will to redistribute resources to give everyone a fair deal.
    Which neither Torys or Labour will or have ever committed to because it reduces what they have out of annual exchequer income to waste on subsidising private industry either directly or through paying private companies to provide public services....and on other wasteful schemes like Trident.They dont want to find 30billion a year to fund pensions and welfare but theyre hsppy to spend 10 times that on crusades in Iraq and Afghanistsn and if theyd had a chance,in Syria too.
    Its a myth that private companies are more efficient its just more politically acceptable if governments money is being pumped into private companies rather than subsidising state sector to provide the same services.It keeps the right wing media mafia happy.

I dont think a government of either party dare run out of money to provide pensions because they know damn well half the country will be marching on London and MPs homes and offices and the scandal would bring down the government.

Despite all the handwringing and austerity bullshit Britain isnt a poor nation its the fifth richest in the world and can easily afford to provide a sum annually to build a pension fund fir current and future generations.It simply chooses not to....just as it chooses not to fund an NHS properly.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 18-02--2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    RT, I agree with most of what you wrote, but just because we have the 5th largest economy it doesn't follow that the state has enough money. We have many very wealthy businesses here, but our public sector is hugely in debt, as are a large number of our citizens.

There is another thread about the Citizens Wage, if everyone received a no-questions-asked living wage for life we wouldn't have to put money into private investments and company pension schemes to be stolen by the Philip Greens. People claim that the savings in admin costs would cover this, but I haven't seen proof.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    The State doesn't have the cash for pensions, NHS, and much else besides, because it is not taxing big businesses realistically.
    And because corrupt state politicians and business operators are very closely linked in seeing that this doesn't happen, all the way down the line from the top corporate table to small contractors.
    So we need a political party that is uncompromisingly honest, straight-forward, and tough. And, the big fail point, it has to be run by humans....
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, Uncle jhad, wanderingwill

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Yest the state can find 46.5Billion for HS2 205billlion for Trident 7 Billion simoly to refurbish westminster...and loads more I could dig up....debt in itselfis not important.The total debt for the uk including everyones personal.debt is something like 1.5 trillion but a lot lesd than other EU countries who still fund their services properly but dont do cosy deals with corporates and let them get off with chucking a few quid in the petty cash.

The UK rsn continuosly in deep debt from 1945 to the mid 90's owing the US for bankrolling the second world war for us.
    The debt isnt importsnt,its the cashflow that is as any corporate will agree and some are themsrlves running continuously in mega debt.The UK income in GDP is just shy of 400 billion a year and that doesnt include the billions the treasury allows corporates to not pay in tax.
    Theres more than enough income to fund services properly.They choose not to for political purposes and while telling us all we need to cut back and expect less from the stste they continue to subsidise corporates and run up masdive debts doing do.Its not the countries income vs expenditure that are bankrupt its the political reckless mansgement of them thats bsnkrupt from both parties.For all the austrtity forced on us the government has successfully managed to double the countries debt in their time in power and despite selling off huge chunks of services and assets.Thats not just reckless its criminal.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, parrotandcrow, wanderingwill

Sex
    Male
    we have all been shafted by uk goverment .. look at the benefit cuts by the tories and now they are going to cut pip to disabled ...and when they chopped the state pension people just accepted it with out question.. does that make sense..
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, NomadicRT