THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: State Pension

State Pension

I know its one of those things you probably don't even think of when you are young but be aware they have tightened up the rules a lot.

You have to have paid your contributions now for 25 years or whatever to qualify. My mate was shocked to realise his forecast pension was about £30. My forecast is £136 instead of the £155 it should be.

Its not enough to live on anyway but check yours out because we all hope to get old one day.

I'm planning to win the lottery so its not going to be a problem for me but for the rest of you - be aware.

Those of you who have lived outside the system may have a problem

google state pension forecast and put in your details
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    They can do what they like , they told me I was not getting one over 20 years ago . If you are releying on the government for anything , good luck . They like taking , but they sure don't like giving
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Transcending
    just got last yrs pension account info ( private thingy that all companys and agencys need to do nowadays ).. result = £13.56p.. that's the total pot not the weekly payout !!.. looks like i'm on target for a happy and relaxed retirement !
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- - - Updated - - -

just got last yrs pension account info ( private thingy that all companys and agencys need to do nowadays ) not the gov one .. result = £13.56p.. that's the total pot not the weekly payout !!.. looks like i'm on target for a happy and relaxed retirement !
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

A friend is getting a state pension but as not enough "stamps"/contributions he got a lot less entitlement but the dwp topped it up to a "living amount"so he gets 156/week.I would think that any top up falls under the means testing rule of capital you own apart from your main residence.Dont know what your worried about ma, you have your own ranch and a real hot blood cowboy to love the rough time out together with.I do not believe for a minute the dreadful scratchcard addiction you slurred him with.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, zendaze

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I have to wait until I'm 66, which means that I will have been paying in for 50 years.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Originally Posted by cricket
    A friend is getting a state pension but as not enough "stamps"/contributions he got a lot less entitlement but the dwp topped it up to a "living amount"so he gets 156/week.I would think that any top up falls under the means testing rule of capital you own apart from your main residence.Dont know what your worried about ma, you have your own ranch and a real hot blood cowboy to love the rough time out together with.I do not believe for a minute the dreadful scratchcard addiction you slurred him with.
    It will be ok now I have my 'stool sample ' buisness to fall back on , I am diversifing with special 'limited ' editions , so far I have sweet corn , and also raw beetroot editions.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Danann

Originally Posted by cricket

I think I need to up my price .
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    I have to wait until I'm 66, which means that I will have been paying in for 50 years.
    There is a minimum amount though p&c - if you dont earn over a certain amount then it doesnt get counted as a years contribution. Cant remember the exact amount but 16 hours a week at minimum wage is enough to take you over the threshold. We found out as the missus was working 15 and luckily someone told us it wasnt enough so she got an extra hour from work.

As bernie says, you can check online but you have to register and get a government gateway id.

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    They can do what they like , they told me I was not getting one over 20 years ago . If you are releying on the government for anything , good luck . They like taking , but they sure don't like giving
    That's not true, if they told you that twenty years ago all you had to do was pay in about £3 a week in contributions to qualify for £155 a week when you reach retirement age. In terms of what you pay in compared to what you stand to get back its a phenominal amount of money.
    If you are lucky enough to live to a hundred its a quarter of a million quid!

Originally Posted by Bernie
    I know its one of those things you probably don't even think of when you are young but be aware they have tightened up the rules a lot.

You have to have paid your contributions now for 25 years or whatever to qualify. My mate was shocked to realise his forecast pension was about £30. My forecast is £136 instead of the £155 it should be.

Its not enough to live on anyway but check yours out because we all hope to get old one day.

I'm planning to win the lottery so its not going to be a problem for me but for the rest of you - be aware.

Those of you who have lived outside the system may have a problem

google state pension forecast and put in your details
    Its 35 years NI contribs to qualify for full pension.Theyve changed the rules a few times and left me hsving to make up on missing years a couple of times B'stards...Im still short but they make it up on pension credits now as i dont earn enough to pay tax.
    If youre getting towards your sixties id agree its highly advisable to get in touch with DWP and get a pension forecast so you can do something about any shortfall and purchase missing years NI contribs.
    If you are short and cant make it up by time you draw pension. they will make up your pension in additional benefits i understsnd but that will be means tested so theres no guarantee youll get extra ir the equivalent of full.pension.....155 squid a week is bog all to live on these days as a pension.
    My medical pension income is far less than that now and i dont qualify for benefits (nor want them) so im getting in practice for old age dire poverty now...happy days to come....though ill probably bog off to portugal and spend nine months a year out of this shitehole.country so i can afford to live.

Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, likahamadoolihan

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Its 35 years NI contribs to qualify for full pension.Theyve changed the rules a few times and left me hsving to make up on missing years a couple of times B'stards...Im still short but they make it up on pension credits now as i dont earn enough to pay tax.
    If youre getting towards your sixties id agree its highly advisable to get in touch with DWP and get a pension forecast so you can do something about any shortfall and purchase missing years NI contribs.
    If you are short and cant make it up by time you draw pension. they will make up your pension in additional benefits i understsnd but that will be means tested so theres no guarantee youll get extra ir the equivalent of full.pension.....155 squid a week is bog all to live on these days as a pension.
    My medical pension income is far less than that now and i dont qualify for benefits (nor want them) so im getting in practice for old age dire poverty now...happy days to come....though ill probably bog off to portugal and spend nine months a year out of this shitehole.country so i can afford to live.

My pension plan is going feral in the Kullu Valley,I have given it a go 3 times already , it works a treat , except Bungo fetches me back the bastard
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, likahamadoolihan, NomadicRT

At some point soon the pension system will hit meltdown. People not putting the full amount into the pot along with less workers in ratio to the ageing population will break the system.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, zendaze

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    At some point soon the pension system will hit meltdown. People not putting the full amount into the pot along with less workers in ratio to the ageing population will break the system.
    I very much agree with you but being paid up (hopefully) improves your chances I would like to think?

If youngsters are already being told to make their own private pension provision then that money wont be going into the state pension system so its inevitable more will be coming out of the pension pot than going in.Same thing will happen to the state pension scheme as happened to the Pru..people who sensibly paid into it all their lives for their benefit in old age will get naff all....the politicians who have their protected pensions, will just shrug and say... oops..
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 17-02--2017 at 02:43 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    We already have almost the worst state pension in Europe, with the exception of a couple of the poorer East European countries, despite being the fourth or fifth richest country in the world.
    The big problem is, they never made any provisions for it, incredible as it seems. They just took the income from taxes every year to pay pensions, as well as everything else.
    If they had invested wisely the huge amounts the governments got from oil revenues in the past, they would have a pensions fund worth £billions now. But the bastards didn't, they wasted it with the philosophy of spend today, and fug tomorrow! As always.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, marshlander, NomadicRT, quintessence, Wulfie, zendaze

£155 per week....adjusted through means testing and housing benefit becomes well in excess of £10 per day in your pocket after all bills including phone and warmth are accounted for.....its not a lot for those that cant budget but is not bad for those that learned about budgeting......there is also free bus travel and mostly free dentistry and optician stuff to be added to the package plus free prescriptions......depends on the individuals mindset whether this is satisfactory or not.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Wulfie

It will be ok now I have my 'stool sample ' buisness to fall back on , I am diversifing with special 'limited ' editions , so far I have sweet corn , and also raw beetroot editions.
    Ma everyone is raving about your products. I hear demand is out stripping supply and drastic measures may be called for. What a brilliant enterprise, a "Turd in a jiffy".

Inserting the Macaroni towards one end of the stool to support the threading of thong/lace/ ribbon etc, so these unique gifts can be hung up, Is shear genius.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, ma bungo

Hahahahaha Jreez Never Mind Stools I Nearly Pee Peed Myself Where I Burst Into Fits Of Laughter Soooo Much Reading Your Words Ma Bungo And Think I Might Of Cracked A Be Few Ribbs Rolling About In Giggles Sooo Much hahahahahaha.....
    Ohhhh You Be So Very Funny..Funny hehehehe
    )))
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

lone wolf survivalist.
    I made sure each year I had enough "stamps" to qualify, if some were missing I did something about it, so that when I did retire I got what I was entitled to, if you don't have enough you can claim Pension Credit to make up the difference, that's now might be different by the time some of you lot come to retire.

Originally Posted by zendaze
    £155 per week....adjusted through means testing and housing benefit becomes well in excess of £10 per day in your pocket after all bills including phone and warmth are accounted for.....its not a lot for those that cant budget but is not bad for those that learned about budgeting......there is also free bus travel and mostly free dentistry and optician stuff to be added to the package plus free prescriptions......depends on the individuals mindset whether this is satisfactory or not.
    There are rumbles about the free bus passes being knocked on the head round here. They are not really free, the local council that issues them has to pay around £600 a year for each one to London Transport for them.

Many are never used, my mother uses hers only once in a blue moon. All her friends have them but I don't think any get £600 worth of use out of theirs.

Heavenly Creature
    Here's my take on the state pension. It's a scam.
    Let's go back to day one.
    The pensioners who qualified for the state pension on day one had not paid a penny for their state pension. So the statement 'I have paid into this all my life' is the biggest misconception going.
    Everybody paying into the state pension is throwing money into the hole made by those that have been given the pension before them. There is no state pension pot.
    The pension money is hoovered into the state the same as all the other payments we make.
    Why do you think, back on day one, the pension age was set at 60 and 65? It was because most working people didn't see 60. If they did, they only survived it by a few years. Reaching 70 was seen as a 'good age'. Manual labourers and mothers of seven rarely got beyond 70. It's exactly why, slowly but surely, the pension age is going up and up.
    We are living longer, and the government can't afford to pay out pensions for long.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, zendaze

lone wolf survivalist.
    at least this is one system if you pay nothing in you get nothing out.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Here's my take on the state pension. It's a scam.
    Be fair. It was also Gordon Brown's piggy bank.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill, zendaze