THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Human Extinction?

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Human Extinction?

If you could press a button that would end all human life on Earth, would you press it?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No saving your friends and loved ones, no keeping a bit of space for yourself, no escaping to the stars - you're gonna annihilate every trace of humanity - for the sake of an argument, let's make it painless, but you'll also die.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nature would thrive and flourish again, the seas would replenish, the air would clean up, the ice caps would stop melting and the land would be green again.

So.... ?

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

No...i have the right over my.own existence and id happily push the button if my demise helped but ive no right over other peoples lives regardless of the potential benefits to the planet.As a race we have the knowledge and capacity to radically change what we're doing to the planet both individually and collectively and that might be a better way to a solution.Of course if humans were hit with a virulent plague and wiped out naturally id have no.problem with that.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, dollybassett, etherea, nomis, Roamer, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    You know what? I think I might well do.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Ask trump !!!!!!
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Roamer

lone wolf survivalist.
    i'd willingly press it for some people, but for myself-NO.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    No...i have the right over my.own existence and id happily push the button if my demise helped but ive no right over other peoples lives regardless of the potential benefits to the planet.As a race we have the knowledge and capacity to radically change what we're doing to the planet both individually and collectively and that might be a better way to a solution.Of course if humans were hit with a virulent plague and wiped out naturally id have no.problem with that.
    I like this but on thinking about it I just can't answer yes or no. The greater good is fraught with rights and wrongs but although we have evolved in many ways there is so much about the human race that puts it below the purity and beauty of animals and plants. We kill for fun, we violate our planet in lots of ways, we go against nature instead of with it. The more I think about it the little voice of conscience says yes.
    Not all who wander are lost

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I say no , there are still some indigenous tribes left living pretty harmonious lives with the planet , its not fair on them , and we could all learn from them still .
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, NomadicRT, nomis

No,i agree with NRT and Ma.
    Many Human beings already live in harmony with Nature,everyone else needs to learn from them and change.

No, I don't feel I have the right to end innocent peoples lives.

Originally Posted by Paul
    If you could press a button that would end all human life on Earth, would you press it?

No saving your friends and loved ones, no keeping a bit of space for yourself, no escaping to the stars - you're gonna annihilate every trace of humanity - for the sake of an argument, let's make it painless, but you'll also die.

Nature would thrive and flourish again, the seas would replenish, the air would clean up, the ice caps would stop melting and the land would be green again.

So.... ?

What would you do Paul ?

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I like this but on thinking about it I just can't answer yes or no. The greater good is fraught with rights and wrongs but although we have evolved in many ways there is so much about the human race that puts it below the purity and beauty of animals and plants. We kill for fun, we violate our planet in lots of ways, we go against nature instead of with it. The more I think about it the little voice of conscience says yes.
    True but when you come down to using ultimate solutions like genocide to solve problems that are solveable through more sensible options you just become yet another megalomaniac dictator like all the others.

What we need to do is stop voting ignorant old assholes into government who want to keep exploiting the environment for their own personal gain.
    Theres a growing number of ordinary people who have already realised if you piss in your own goldfish bowl its you it will affect.
    Most people acknowledge we need to be more environment and nature conscious....but we're not in control...the angry old rich white men are....Looking at what Congress just did to vote to scrap the US Environment Protection Agency by 2018
    It doesnt look hopeful.
    We need to rid ourselves of these people if we've any hope of saving the Earth.Vote them out and stop supporting their corporates we buy off who dont care about nature and give them hell...make owning their shares a toxic experience.Support the ones who are environment concious and do a lot for wildlife protection.

Im not worrying too much about humans because the legacy of Fukushima has yet to begin to emerge and its already well distributed around the norther hemisphere and a sizeable chunk.of the Pacific...only a matter of time really when humans start becoming sterile and stop producing offspring or produce deformed offspring unable to survive.
    Then theres the cancers...Nature systems are far better at coping with radiation than humans....buttons wont solve anything
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 18-02--2017 at 01:43 AM.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    What would you do Paul ?
    I have the button right here on my desk ... if you're reading this from the afterlife you'll know what I chose.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, ma bungo

i wonder what creatures would become the hierarchy?
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

It's a reset button I don't think I could stop myself from pressing it, hopefully whatever life form becomes dominant won't invent electricity that should keep the new worlds population from becoming unsustainable.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, hagrid

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by treestump
    Nice question

Heavenly Creature
    Ice caps would stop melting?, getting rid of the human infection wouldn't stop "climate change", that's down to Nibiru

Originally Posted by treestump
    Ants !

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    It's a reset button I don't think I could stop myself from pressing it, hopefully whatever life form becomes dominant won't invent electricity that should keep the new worlds population from becoming unsustainable.
    I see now why you didnt get the job in the missile silo

Yes id press it.we have had our chances many times to redeem ourselves,with informed intelligence and just keep on trashing it all.It would be many hundreds of years before any kind of rebalance ,even thousands,as all the toxins are still all out there.It would be a quicker end than the next 500 years possibly of decline and disease till extinction.I dont think we should morally allow ourselves as a species to spread about into the stars.Maybe we were and earth is our long forgotten terra formed patch that we fled to after trashing the last one.Who would we be saving it for though?So it can just be?Is there some vengence in the mind of button pressers,that bad humans will get their come uppance and egotism in the mind of non pressers?Science says only scorpions can survive longterm the radiation if it goes nuclear.Maybe Paul just threw in a curved ball so we can debate on a global scale and not bicker over trivia.
    Last edited by cricket; 17-02--2017 at 08:40 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature
    Surely, as hippies, we create our own reality through our emotions and actions? If you would vote "YES" to press the button, then surely you have not created a world for yourself that you are happy to live in
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Ecobob, ma bungo

Right iv got it now.paul really is some special agent or something.wayyy above the powers that be.and hes had enough.he really has got "the button",and depending on your answers on here is what he ll really do...?yes. Xx

Unfortunately whales lived in my world,as did tigers and elephants.Creating a small bubble within a different all encompassing reality is called delusion.

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Surely, as hippies, we create our own reality through our emotions and actions? If you would vote "YES" to press the button, then surely you have not created a world for yourself that you are happy to live in

Press the button , pull the chain , out comes the choo choo train ! Meaningless with out the actions , but hilario with

actually if you look at Pauls selfie very very carefull under a magnifying glass, you can see where he has badly glued on the edge of his human suit.He looks a bit shifty and lizardy too.

Originally Posted by Rainbomama
    Right iv got it now.paul really is some special agent or something.wayyy above the powers that be.and hes had enough.he really has got "the button",and depending on your answers on here is what he ll really do...?yes. Xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper