THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Growing your own

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I,m sowing my broad beans today indoors to get em up and running
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have read of couple of books on this but out of experience for spuds do "Chit" or No Chit" & If you do "Chit" then when , These are for main crop Maris Piper seeds , any help would be welcome also "Chit" is such a great word
    I Chit
    You Chit
    We Chit
    Nurse my medication quick !!

Don't know about main crop as I do no grow , to much risk of giving my tomatos blight , but I do grow earlies , infact I got my seed potatoes this morning 'Nadine' which I will start to chit straight away, for planting out late March/earl April , I think the rule of thumb is start chitting about 6 weeks before planting out .

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Roamer
    If I can find last years seeds will they still be okay?
    There are charts on the net telling you about seed viability.

Some last longer than others.

But if you can count out ten seeds, put them on a wet paper towel somewhere warm.
    Leave them two weeks (most seed germinates in 7 to 14 days)
    See how many actually grow a little sprout.

Every one that sprouts is 10% of your stock so you know if your seed is good or worthless.

So I am checking the tomato seeds from four years ago, and a bag of beans from three years ago which were hiding in the back of the seed crate.

I have a packet of Franchi Italian Cherry tomatoes that is in its 6th year and they germinated a treat about 3 weeks ago . I like their seeds , there not the cheapest , but you get a lot of seeds !
    The following users think this post is groovy: oddballdave

All this talk of starting the seeds and early potatoes! I'm under (not personally) about a foot of snow this morning!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: ursus

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Don't know about main crop as I do no grow , to much risk of giving my tomatos blight , but I do grow earlies , infact I got my seed potatoes this morning 'Nadine' which I will start to chit straight away, for planting out late March/earl April , I think the rule of thumb is start chitting about 6 weeks before planting out .
    Thanks Ma you are the NEW & Improved UK Hippy's Charlie Dimmock
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Originally Posted by Roamer
    So they wont seed without

it either bolts or dies

I am determined to have success this year & I will post pics in honour.
    Pretend to know nothing about gardening and then uses the words it either bolts or dies?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Originally Posted by Levey
    Thanks Ma you are the NEW & Improved UK Hippy's Charlie Dimmock
    I'm not as endowered though

If you are in any doubt about watering, you can buy a moisture probe. It looks a bit like a meat thermometer. You can find them at larger nurseries, home centres and E-bay.
    We all lead different lives.

Not Quite a Noobie
    I've got a newbie question. I have tons of seeds in a huge polystyrene seed tray with about 100 3" x 1" x 1" "dents" in it (are they called plugs?) that I wombled and some of them are coming up fine so will be ready to plant out soon into bigger pots. How the feck do you get them out of those tiny holes without breaking the seedling?!! Thanks

Push them from undernearth , there is usually holes in the bottom of the plug tray in each compartment , use the blunt end of a pencil or stick to push the plant out
    The following users think this post is groovy: Shroom, Sootyfoot

i use a pencil or such like, if the roots are proper developed push them out through the hole on the bottom , if they are really spindly delicate hold by the leaves only and tease the roots out with said pencil or wrong end of a teaspoon etc

Originally Posted by Shroom
    i use a pencil or such like, if the roots are proper developed push them out through the hole on the bottom , if they are really spindly delicate hold by the leaves only and tease the roots out with said pencil or wrong end of a teaspoon etc

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.