THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Misophonia anyone suffer from this?

Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    That's mad. But there are so many weird anomalies people experience with brain wiring. The idea alone of dragging fingernails accross brickwork is gut wrenching. I must admit never to have tried it. I always put the flat of my had out to stop me falling off my bike when up against a wall. Have you ever found a musical note or chord have a adverse effect on you?
    No, there's no particular frequency that seems to annoy me. The brush on concrete is sound contains a vast number of different high frequency sounds and is similar to 'white noise' but white noise generators used to test and set up audio systems don't bug me.

As a kid I once got to play an old pump organ and loved those demonic sounding chords that they excel at.
    Never had much interest in jazz until 15 or 16 and I tend to think LSD may have played some part in turning me on to Jazz.
    Though 'America' by 'The Nice' has some far fetched jazz elements and I loved that on first hearing at 11 or 12 yrs. but I reckon that's the drama of that song that appeals, as well as its complexities.

I'm going to start with 'America' and then go on to some Zappa..

Other people eating and their breathing when eating used to annoy me a lot when i was young but i think i grew out of the phase of being annoyed.I do still notice when im presented with a particularly loud eater or soup slurper or noisy wheezy breather...but theres one noise guaranteed to make me simultaneously mad and cringe is steel cutlery items dragged across each other as in pulling items from cutlery rack or drawers or drying them and putting them away but the ultimate screamer is people dragging spoons over or through their teeth when eating.I know someone who does it all of the time when eating with a spoon and i have to leave the room because i could cheerfully break their neck.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sometimes whole families make noises whilst they eat. Like a symphony..
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    No, there's no particular frequency that seems to annoy me. The brush on concrete is sound contains a vast number of different high frequency sounds and is similar to 'white noise' but white noise generators used to test and set up audio systems don't bug me.

As a kid I once got to play an old pump organ and loved those demonic sounding chords that they excel at.
    Never had much interest in jazz until 15 or 16 and I tend to think LSD may have played some part in turning me on to Jazz.
    Though 'America' by 'The Nice' has some far fetched jazz elements and I loved that on first hearing at 11 or 12 yrs. but I reckon that's the drama of that song that appeals, as well as its complexities.
    I knew a guy who was a session musician and made a career out of playing violin in orchestra and teaching very talented violinists. He had developed tinnitus in both ears and it had steadily gotten worse over 20 years, to a point he was facing stopping work and had stopped teaching violin altogether. I never had any lessons with him, but on the occasions he played violin I was amazed that he couldn't hear the instrument (violin) he was playing, let alone any other instrument his student would play. I asked him to play my violin and give me his honest opinion of the instrument. He was impressed with my 100 year old fiddle. I already knew it had a nice sound but was curious. I asked if a hearing aid or ear implant would be the answer to his hearing loss. He said he had adapted his playing over the years to listen to the vibrations coming through the wood. I can't imagine having lost such a crucial component like hearing if your real passion is music.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Funnily I find animals eating their food quite satisfying.Ive fed cows and horses (very noisy eaters) and its a pleasing noise.Humans eating noisily just induces a general loathing....especially if their mouths are open like a cement mixer churning.
    Maybe its because large animals have different heavier bone structure and the noise is much deeper and less infuriating.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, FriedOnion, ma bungo, marshlander

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    People that slurp soup , I find infuriating !

My mum and my grandson both hate the sound of people brushing their teeth. My mum could get quite violent if I came out of the bathroom whilst brushing them.

High frequency noises drive me nuts sometimes am always shocked when other people say they can't hear them. My old work had an ultrasonic instrument cleaner that made me want to bang my head off something

No, your post made sense.You clearly have a deep love and understanding of music and the composition of it.Whatever skill or merit was involved in the complex jazz that you speak of is lost on my heathen sensibilities.It may be that the allergic mental reaction I get to some of it is to do with my father blasting the house with it as a child.I am sound sensitive and it just sounded like a loud crazy racket.Maybe it just takes a complex mind to enjoy such complex music.I will look up some of the terms you mention as it is very interesting.Javanese Iancaran I have no clue,florid extemporisation,gamelan are terms I do not recall hearing before either.Thanks for the mind expanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshlander View Post
    ...... Lurking underneath even the most florid extemporisation there is often a pulse.

I listened to gamelan music for many years...... I chose to rearrange the music and play it in the form of a Javanese lancaran. The resulting recording turned out to be longer than the producer wanted so they chopped my music in a very arbitrary place showing no understanding of the form. That rather upset me. I'd have cut it down myself, but I would have done it so that at least the form would make sense ... unlike most of this post I suspect
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmadilemma View Post
    High frequency noises drive me nuts sometimes am always shocked when other people say they can't hear them. My old work had an ultrasonic instrument cleaner that made me want to bang my head off something
    Been unable to hear high frequencies is a sign of needing a hearing aid !

Quote Originally Posted by ma bungo View Post
    Been unable to hear high frequencies is a sign of needing a hearing aid !
    Or you've spent too long at the back of a tractor with a post knocker, after a childhood of walking at the back of your dad's heel like a gun dog when he his out poaching ducks and rabbits with a 12bore shotgun
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Turning On
    I have several noise and touch triggers,but can only think of a couple at the moment.....forks/spoons dragged on teeth while eating and also handling certain types of copier type paper makes me cringe.Some other triggers I cant actually even type about,as they make me shake with anxiety.