Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The case for humanity

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

The case for humanity

So, almost the opposite to the
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    thread.

The scenario: You've been chosen at random and zapped into an alien courtroom; some intergalactic cosmic guardians have decided to end human life on Earth.

There is one chance of escape however - you are the defence witness and have to explain why humanity is worth saving -- you have to defend humanity for the wars, the climate change, the pollution, loss of biodiversity and all the ther terrible things that humankind has done to the planet.

If you present your case well enough, well the aliens may just give us another chance.

Would you be able to explain the goodness of man against overwhelming evidence, and thus give the human race another shot?

This is your chance at a defence.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Transcending
    "Terrible things humankind has done to the planet " ?

In the grand scheme it matters not a jot, and I'd expect an advanced race to realise that. We all die. 99% of all species that ever lived on Earth are extinct, the vast majority before humans even evolved. The Earth will end in a fiery ball when the Sun goes giant, and the only chance that anything at all will survive is if "destructive" humans figure out a way to move life to another planet. If space is too large for us to cross then the only proof that life even existed here will be what we manage to broadcast into the universe - imagine if Radio 4 was lifes ultimate memorial.

I'd tell the aliens to bog off and hope we don't take a fancy to their planet, and take a Simon and Garfunkel CD with them, to remember us by.

I got nothing

However ... if this is my only way of saving you boss then I will have a think & get back to you.

Fuck it I'll let them kill me

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, FriedOnion

If everybody was like you Paul then we wouldnt be in this mess
    saying that though, I do like a bit of variety.
    Plus I like my meat

There is much good that happens in the world. We have to evolve & adapt!
    It would not be possible for me to defend atrocities such as war, coz I am a lover not a fighter, but I would urge the aliens ...

Hold on
    this can't work. Aliens don't have the same emotions so therefore it would be a losing battle & I dont like fighting battles I can't win.
    It is pure emotion that would make anyone defend the human race. We are highly emotional creatures. You included boss

I am prepared to defend the human race, but not to aliens

Can we have a human judge? Then I could fight & win
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Originally Posted by Paul
    thread.

The scenario: You've been chosen at random and zapped into an alien courtroom; some intergalactic cosmic guardians have decided to end human life on Earth.

There is one chance of escape however - you are the defence witness and have to explain why humanity is worth saving -- you have to defend humanity for the wars, the climate change, the pollution, loss of biodiversity and all the ther terrible things that humankind has done to the planet.

If you present your case well enough, well the aliens may just give us another chance.

Would you be able to explain the goodness of man against overwhelming evidence, and thus give the human race another shot?

If the reasons you are listing for our defence are the ones they used for the prosecution we might as well just plead guilty.
    We cannot argue that we made mistakes in the past but we have rectified them as we are still making them.

You could however argue that to save them possibly considerable cost and effort, to leave us as we are and we'll destroy the whole earth in another few years if they were for instance clearing a path for an intergalactic bypass.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I would give them a bottle of hobgoblin beer,the trilogy of lord of the rings,the full only fools and horses collection and a bag of cheese and onion crisps to show them what good we have done

Maybe showing them elliot saving E.T from the nasty scientists could be a good move too
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Danann, FriedOnion, Lightbringer, Roamer

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    I would give them a bottle of hobgoblin beer,the trilogy of lord of the rings,the full only fools and horses collection and a bag of cheese and onion crisps to show them what good we have done

Maybe showing them elliot saving E.T from the nasty scientists could be a good move too
    I never thought about getting them drunk
    that could work!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Fuck the humans, we have had our chance, leave the animals and plants etc and wipe mankind off the planet.

The trouble is, you think you have time.

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, FriedOnion

Originally Posted by Petew
    Fuck the humans, we have had our chance, leave the animals and plants etc and wipe mankind off the planet.
    No
    I'm not leaving my animals! They wouldn't cope without me.

I'm not leaving them & I would kill anyone that tried taking me away from them

I love them & I hand on heart would slice throats in order to protect them. Without question.

It's a dead man walking that tries to come between me & my animals.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, likahamadoolihan

Originally Posted by Paul
    thread.

I don't like it when you say "well the aliens may just give us another chance"

Coz you're just plonking it all on us & you are not taking any responsibility. You are just passing it all over to us & that disappoints me coz you are not using your leadership skills.
    It's a sign of weakness & quite frankly I find it very unattractive

You need to step up to these "Aliens" & knock em out the park boss

Don't be bothering us mere mortals with this bollox again. Just sort it.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roamer
    that could work!
    There was a sci-fi show a few years back where the aliens living on earth prized off milk as it got them drunk. Apparently they smelt pretty awful to humans.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    In the grand scheme it matters not a jot, and I'd expect an advanced race to realise that. We all die. 99% of all species that ever lived on Earth are extinct, the vast majority before humans even evolved. The Earth will end in a fiery ball when the Sun goes giant, and the only chance that anything at all will survive is if "destructive" humans figure out a way to move life to another planet.
    By that argument nothing matters, why not go kill people right now & take whatever you want?

Transcending

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    By that argument nothing matters, why not go kill people right now & take whatever you want?
    Because, although everything ends up dead, life is a flash of light in a dark universe and I value it immensely. If I can love and be loved then it's all worthwhile.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

I would agree with them and say fuck the human race. It's greedy, selfish, murderous and all that the seven deadly describe to an inch and warrants at first glance, wiping out.

I would then produce a newborn child as an exhibit, a blank piece of paper, words yet to be written, thoughts yet to be brought into being, a blank canvas.

My second exhibit for the defence would be art, third music, fourth the tears of those who've seen pictures of the death pits of the concentration camps, the brutality of man, fifth, the blood of those who risk and sacrifice their lives for others for the greater good not evil and finally, the pain of those who bow to Nature and fight for the future of the planet despite going against their vile fellow man.

Somewhere in the exhibits I'd toss in a hippy just to fucking confuse, enlighten and get them stoned........

Exhibits not necessarily in that order as I'm fubar at present, well almost but rise to a challenge but not a stiffy.

That's concludes the case for the defence, M'Lord..................
    Last edited by Wulfie; 21-02--2017 at 12:34 AM.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, itinerant child, Miss_bee, nomis

All of humanities globally villanous,murderous ways redeemed because you enjoy a good snog every now and then?Seriously?

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    Because, although everything ends up dead, life is a flash of light in a dark universe and I value it immensely. If I can love and be loved then it's all worthwhile.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, FriedOnion

I was sobbing in parts there,could make it into "The 5th Element II"

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I would agree with them and say fuck the human race. It's greedy, selfish, murderous and all that the seven deadly describe to an inch and warrants at first glance, wiping out.

I would then produce a newborn child as an exhibit, a blank piece of paper, words yet to be written, thoughts yet to be brought into being, a blank canvas.

My second exhibit for the defence would be art, third music, fourth the tears of those who've seen pictures of the death pits of the concentration camps, the brutality of man, fifth, the blood of those who risk and sacrifice their lives for others for the greater good not evil and finally, the pain of those who bow to Nature and fight for the future of the planet despite going against their vile fellow man.

Somewhere in the exhibits I'd toss in a hippy just to fucking confuse, enlighten and get them stoned........

Exhibits not necessarily in that order as I'm fubar at present, well almost but rise to a challenge but not a stiffy.

That's concludes the case for the defence, M'Lord..................
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Ailuns,go get t fuk.
    I`m sure there are some good ones,but mostly they seem shite,i have seen the filums,they are nearly always assholes or worse.

Hug a Triffid today
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Danann, itinerant child

Then I Would Show Them What Love Is ....
    Bounce Bouncie Danann Love hahahaha..

That Alone Would Send Them A Running Be Back To Their Spaceships And Hit WARP SPEED ASAP hahahahahaha
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, itinerant child, nomis, Wulfie

Originally Posted by Roamer
    that could work!
    Nor had I !!!!!

We learned to harness combustion.......thats it.......Im fairly impressed by humanity surviving its early adaptations.....but remain mentally insufficient when faced off by the journey of capitalism......cant join em

I would state that we came from the mud, we struggled until we harnessed fire. We learned to adapted and colonise inhabitable habitats around the planet. We developed wisdom. We are now entering in to the late stage of mastering self control. To deny humans their rightful passage and flow through natural evolution would devalue all conquests, achievements and sufferings. Without standing back and allowing our natural progression through to the end. How can they be sure we humans weren't on the right track and one day valued as an equal to all alien life forms. The Human species are present on one dying planet, in a multitude of galaxies. If we are truly on the right path you will find we are abundant in the universe at some point in time or we will become extinct for the errors of our ways or lack of space time.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, likahamadoolihan, Miss_bee, monocle

Why is our planet dying?Do you mean in a projected way when our sun eats us...or...in a protracted way as in now as we are destroying the habitat for every being?Why do you assume humans have the right to carry on "evolving"but not the species we are killing?Whales are more clever than us in their way,but the ballistic testing in the oceans driving them ashore to die in fear will sort out that competition in the race at least.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I would state that we came from the mud, we struggled until we harnessed fire. We learned to adapted and colonise inhabitable habitats around the planet. We developed wisdom. We are now entering in to the late stage of mastering self control. To deny humans their rightful passage and flow through natural evolution would devalue all conquests, achievements and sufferings. Without standing back and allowing our natural progression through to the end. How can they be sure we humans weren't on the right track and one day valued as an equal to all alien life forms. The Human species are present on one dying planet, in a multitude of galaxies. If we are truly on the right path you will find we are abundant in the universe at some point in time or we will become extinct for the errors of our ways or lack of space time.
    I have noticed over this thread persons either take a planetary holistic view or a species specific human view...we ,us.It is down to human ego and this blinkered view that we are it to the exclusion of all else, that we/the planet is in this predicament to start with.
    Last edited by cricket; 22-02--2017 at 11:49 AM.

Originally Posted by cricket
    Why is our planet dying?Do you mean in a projected way when our sun eats us...or...in a protracted way as in now as we are destroying the habitat for every being?Why do you assume humans have the right to carry on "evolving"but not the species we are killing?Whales are more clever than us in their way,but the ballistic testing in the oceans driving them ashore to die in fear will sort out that competition in the race at least.
    I have noticed over this thread persons either take a planetary holistic view or a species specific human view...we ,us.It is down to human ego and this blinkered view that we are it to the exclusion of all else, that we/the planet is in this predicament to start with.
    Why is our planet dying,I sure hope that that was a rhetorical question !!

It is dying because lots of people do not give a damn about it and care more about driving a flash motor or having a house with more bedrooms than real friends they have.

On the otherhand,our planet is living because nature is strong and there are lots of beautiful people who do care and take great efforts to help out mother earth and they do not have the flash car or mansion.

I try to concentrate on the latter moreso,but never forget the first one !