THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The case for humanity

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cricket
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Why is our planet dying?Do you mean in a projected way when our sun eats us...or...in a protracted way as in now as we are destroying the habitat for every being?Why do you assume humans have the right to carry on "evolving"but not the species we are killing?Whales are more clever than us in their way,but the ballistic testing in the oceans driving them ashore to die in fear will sort out that competition in the race at least.
    I have noticed over this thread persons either take a planetary holistic view or a species specific human view...we ,us.It is down to human ego and this blinkered view that we are it to the exclusion of all else, that we/the planet is in this predicament to start with.
    Our planet is slowly spinning itself out of options. The planet will get cold or hot,eventually too cold or too hot for all life. Take away all human life forms and the end result will be no different. We humans will, do and have changed many of the Earths environments and to some extent over time we will probably equal the harm and destruction on a level to other natural events.

Why do I view this issue from a human point of view? Well it's the aliens who have summoned us to plead our case. I dare say, if the aliens can speak whale language, I'm sure the whales would say "who the fk are humans anyway" those noisy sea scavengers. They need land, fucking land gets in our way all the time. If I want to go and visit my whale relatives other side of the world, I have to swim round these monstrosities of emergent rocks, so big It can add months to my journey.

If you want to put all primates on a equal platform to humans, don't be suprised if sub species get elected to govern some of the most powerful Nations on the planet. If I need surgery I'm not going to ask a monkey to do it. But we/some humans will go out of our way to perform surgery on a monkey in need or use the monkey to better our understanding of ourselves and our world.
    I'm not defending the wrongs of mankind, for now at this point in our culture we define "exceptable" with a snapshot of the present and a reflection of our past. The future is irrelevant in the sense, we will never allow ourselves to be governed by a monkey.
    I see our planet in flux, evolving like all the living species upon it. Even the simplest of species is dependent on a chain of pre-existing events and conditions. Most caused by what can only be termed disastrous for some species. If a whale on their long journey of evolution left the confines of the aquatic habitat whales were created in, to then find life on land too restrictive, unproductive and on returning to the now oceans morphed their hind legs into something more purposeful. Can humans have a evalutionary destination more suitable to sustainability and environmental harmony? Would these aliens we are addressing, not themselves have evolved from wrong-uns to become what they are at this point of reckoning.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

lone wolf survivalist.
    the planet is dying because of what humans have done to it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature
    The planet itself is not dying, so don't get too worried.

What you - and many of us humans - are concerned about is the dying of elements of the biosphere; some of the native flora and most of the wild fauna that is present here at this time, and the gradual poisoning of the seas and the land. We as humans have brought this about, but we are only here for a brief period of time, geologically speaking.

The Earth itself 'poisons' its own atmosphere in some epochs, with vast emissions from volcanic eruptions which kill off most life-forms on its surface. In others it has been a ball of ice, including the equatorial regions, wiping out any life-forms that may have existed previously.

Completely different life-forms have come and gone across the surface of the planet in brief intervals that are no more than a flickering in time, all of them dependent upon the composition of the biosphere at the time of their evolution, and dying out when conditions changed too drastically.

Humans will vanish too, after they have had their time here. Humans come and go, the Earth abides....

So no humans will ever be brought before any intergalactic court for crapping their planet, or be asked to give account to lordly aliens. They will be allowed to run their course and die out, like many other forms of life before them. The human race, despite what we may feel, is completely insignificant against the infinite backdrop of the Universe.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Boaty McBoatface, cricket, Miss_bee, Rick69, Shroom, yazz, zendaze

You lot are getting too clever for me now
    there are days when you make me feel quite inadequate.

I was never very good at philosophy to be fair
    I don't have the brain.

I just know I don't want to die.

Okay maybe when I'm 105 I will die but I want to be in full control of my death. I want to choose how I go & where I go.
    I want to choose my funeral song aswell & the guests
    & the food & the flowers & ... well just about everything really. I even want to choose what the guests wear. It will be MY death so I think it is very reasonable that I get full say.

I think I might have brought it all back to myself again but its soooo hard not to

I hate it when the op doesn't come back
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roamer
    I hate it when the op doesn't come back
    Sign off quality trolling , not returning to the scene
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, cricket, Sootyfoot