THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you skint? 2017 Challenge

Same here,I sold some bits and made 200.and now half of that.has already gone on parts for MOT.The rest will be gone very shortly on the MOT work so back to square one...losing battle springs to mind.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Well, I'm kind of using the money I've made as 'float'. I've bought a huge washing powder out of it, so hopefully saving a bit that way, instead of supermarket shopping. I've still got a flat full of clutter to get rid of, plus I have been buying bits to sell on, with fairly reasonable results. I've not actually lost any money, yet, anyway.

Heavenly Creature
    a friend of mine makes money on ebay buy selling michael jackson LP's, he gets 15 for them. its the well known ones you can buy online for 2, or from second hand shops for about the same. not a bad mark up if you can find decent condition ones to sell on

I spoke to somebody the other day who is a gardener in the summer, and sells books on eBay in the winter. He has made in excess of 60 grand in the last six years. Still only a small wage really though, per year.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, nicklincs

My dislike of ebay is their fees that eat away at your profits,plus the inland revenue prowling the place.
    My main motivation of this was to give me extra cash to spend on getting my van how i want and so far not succeeding, but on the other hand ive just discovered somewhere local to me where i can get all kinds of vehicle bits for peanuts and im allowed to womble the bits they consider of no value,so whatever i do make when selling stuff is going to help me get far more done and at far less cost ,so its kind of a result.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 16-07--2017 at 10:48 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I spoke to somebody the other day who is a gardener in the summer, and sells books on eBay in the winter. He has made in excess of 60 grand in the last six years. Still only a small wage really though, per year.
    Books are a funny thing on ebay, If they are out of print and desirable then they can go for good money, Others fail to sell for pennies. I sell whatever I can get my hands on, often stuff that sells for under a fiver, but as they say every bit helps.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

I buy used or second hand opened perfumes, I know quite a bit about them, so I know which ones are desirable or discontinued, and then I just sell them on eBay. You wouldn't imagine, but I have bought a perfume at a local carboot sale, for 11, then listed in on eBay wiith starting price 12.99 and free postage, and the winning bid was 128. It was rare discontinued perfume, and someone wanted it so badly.
    I do it now and then.
    Another option for me is to buy more expensive face cosmetics ( like foundation etc), which are not normally available in local Superdrug,or Boots, and I sell them as testers or samples, decanted in plastic jars with lids ordered from Aliexpress. I buy the jars and also envelopes from there, so I make more profit on each sample, that is after ebay and paypal will steal their share. Usually a bottle is 30ml, and I buy it for 25-27. It makes 15 samples. I sell it for 3.99. I assume I am making about 11-12 on each bottle of foundation, which isn't bad. I invest money in new shades and that's how it goes.

it has to be something you know, like or have idea about. I often offer advice or different product, or throw in a small sample of something I received for free, buyers often come back to me.

It is worth more to buy stuff from carboots than charity shops. The best charity shop in my area is AGE UK, they don't overprice their stuff like the other ones.

I am also advertised on gumtree as local helper, I would help young mums with their ironing, washing, cleaning, or elderly persons with really anything.
    And all this on the top of my regular 36 hours job in care industry. As I am " freshly baked " single mum, I have to make sure we have some reserve of money.

It's great to offer your skills on gumtree, or local groups. Some times even if it is not worth the little money earned, you meet people who might help you to gain some new ideas.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Miss_bee, nicklincs, Sootyfoot