THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Are you skint? 2017 Challenge

Are you skint? 2017 Challenge

Here is a challenge to all you skint hippies out there and I include myself in this category. I don't really have any spare cash at all. I run a small business and it brings in enough money to just about keep my head above water but we never seem to have any money in reserve. If you are totally skint how much less stressful would your life be if you had a spare 2000 in cash squirreled away for a rainy day. I know I would sleep a lot better if I knew I had a couple of grand under my mattress.

Here is the challenge.
    Selling things you have in your house or van that you no longer need and then using that money to buy things at charity shops and car boot sales that you can then sell on on ebay to see if we can earn 2017 by the end of the year.

It is not a competition. It is a challenge to see how many members of this site can earn at least 2017 in 2017. We need to help each other with suggestions on what to buy and what to avoid and how best to sell on ebay.

We could agree to donate a % of our earnings to the running of this site. If 10 people each donate 10% that is 2017 going towards keeping this great site online and we will all have a much more secure 2018

Do you think this might be something you would be interested in?

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, itinerant child, Lightbringer, ma bungo, nicklincs, NomadicRT

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Well I have already sold my soul for a sausage roll , but good luck to everyone on the challenge
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, itinerant child, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, _buckles_

Interesting challenge. Spare cash is something of a rarity

I set myself a mission at the start of the year to start selling stuff in order to earn enough cash to get myself and small family out to Spain. Basically I made a promise to my elderly Father, who packed up and moved out there (one way) last year after having a terrible time health wise that I would visit this year. I have to start with passports, then insurance, flights, someone to look after the dog etc and thought I would cash in on whatever assets I could do without.

However, the little bit I managed to squirrel away since the start of the year has unfortunately been eaten due to unforeseen car problems.

I hadn't thought about investing and re-selling but it sounds like a good idea and you are right some things sell better to sell on ebay, others are better to sell locally and that sort of shared knowledge could benefit us all.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, itinerant child, nicklincs, NomadicRT

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Well I have already sold my soul for a sausage roll , but good luck to everyone on the challenge
    I love you ma

I'm doing a table top sale this Sunday and hoping I make some pennies

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, itinerant child, nicklincs

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    I love you ma

I love you`too Lighty
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    yuk yuk,so much niceness

Love it really,keep it up you two
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Savings? Spare cash? What are these fabled things you mention? I can't remember the last time I ever saw any "spare "cash

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, Petew

Chilling Out

Originally Posted by aman
    Here is a challenge to all you skint hippies out there and I include myself in this category. I don't really have any spare cash at all. I run a small business and it brings in enough money to just about keep my head above water but we never seem to have any money in reserve. If you are totally skint how much less stressful would your life be if you had a spare 2000 in cash squirreled away for a rainy day. I know I would sleep a lot better if I knew I had a couple of grand under my mattress.

Here is the challenge.
    Selling things you have in your house or van that you no longer need and then using that money to buy things at charity shops and car boot sales that you can then sell on on ebay to see if we can earn 2017 by the end of the year.

It is not a competition. It is a challenge to see how many members of this site can earn at least 2017 in 2017. We need to help each other with suggestions on what to buy and what to avoid and how best to sell on ebay.

We could agree to donate a % of our earnings to the running of this site. If 10 people each donate 10% that is 2017 going towards keeping this great site online and we will all have a much more secure 2018

Paul
    This is almost exactly something that I did 10 years ago , and the 1000 stake money that I raised is still working for itself now
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, convoy, Ecobob, Lightbringer, nicklincs, Sootyfoot, ursus

I might give it a go since I have no money coming in at all right now. Not sure that I have anything worth selling though.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Sootyfoot

When my girl was small, until I left my ex when she was 8, we would visit 2 local towns every week visiting any number of their charity shops of which we have lots and would buy things with cool 'labels' or anything I thought would sell on ebay. ex was a bike mechanic and would buy scrap bikes etc, strip them down and sell 'spares' again on ebay. We never made a living but it was a bit of
    fun shopping and passed the time too...but millionaire I ain't!

Its even easier nowdays with so many local selling pages on facebook so no trapesing to and fro with parcels at the post office and no fees as with ebay.

Hmmm.................................... ........................................ ..........................
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Always skint...i managed to get together 2k just over 12months ago and within a 2 month period it almost all went on vets fees....so i iz back to skintness.
    I shall percevere but not sure how much pf 2017 squid ill get
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Just a mention of an easy way to get a little money now and again from stuff you or neighbours are chucking out -

Don`t forget any scrap metal can be sold - old washing machines/dishwashers/kettles/car batteries/taps/wire/microwaves etc etc can be sold - if you`re near a big city there prices paid are MUCH better than elsewhere - don`t forget if you`re taking such things as washing machines/microwaves etc to ALWAYS strip the inner wiring and motors out - separate ferrous (iron) from the non-ferrous (copper wiring/brass/electric motors/stainless steel/lead/etc) - although there ARE new laws regarding scrap collection IF doing it regularly it is fine to take your OWN metal down to a scrap yard - new laws include waste-carrier PERMITS for EACH local borough which is aside from the main waste carrier licence needed from the government for any "work" done collecting scrap...currently prices are not as good as they were but neither are they as bad as they were last year so taking a car load of stuff down to a scrapman can give a small (and sometimes very much needed) boost - NO scrap dealer can pay in cash now but a cheque CAN often be cashed at the same place for a fee which is often simply 1...just mentioning this all as a thought if you`re chucking out old washing machines or other metal items why give them to the council (who then sell to the scrapman) when you can get some money for simply taking them down the scrapman...
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

To add to the above as I can`t seem to edit the post - it is always worth looking into a skip - it is astonishing what people throw away at times...I know of a person earning more than 500 from being bothered looking into a skip...to be remembered is that it IS illegal to take from skips without asking the person using the skip if you can take stuff out...it can be considered as theft so exercise some discretion - it is always worth asking the person who is using the skip (a bit like the woman recently found guilty of theft when she picked up a 20 note from the floor)...just thought I should mention this...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs

As a back story. My mother works as a volunteer in a charity shop and a good percentage of their sales go to regulars who resell the stuff on ebay. It used to be car booters but that seems to have gone now.

So it is possible but I would imagine there is a lot of learning what sells and what doesn't
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, nicklincs

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by aman
    No. But if I make a million in 2017 I will send you 2,017.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Heavenly Creature
    Maybe there is something in this idea after all. I just cleared out the end of the back yard and weighed in 8.40 worth of old rubbish. If I had seperated it properly it might have been twice that, doesn't add up for me today but for you, or me on another day, that could have been worth doing.

Bonus was the local scrap dealer's yard was amazing. Haven't seen chaos like that for years.

I am planning to do a few car boot sales this spring, so hope to get a bit of cash in, however, it will still go straight in the big tim marked "Pay off Debts"
    The trouble is, you think you have time.

Originally Posted by Petew
    I am planning to do a few car boot sales this spring, so hope to get a bit of cash in, however, it will still go straight in the big tim marked "Pay off Debts"
    You could put it in the other tin marked 'Dream life starts here'
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Petew, Sootyfoot

I'm up for the challenge.. I currently have a 1 pound bid on an item I'm selling on eBay. Bit of a way to go, it seems.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by MiaPerson
    ...new laws include waste-carrier PERMITS for EACH local borough which is aside from the main waste carrier licence needed from the government for any "work" done collecting scrap.
    I wonder if I need a permit to carry waste on my pushbike?

The one I used pays through the bank, so there is a clear audit trail for the taxman.

I had an idea to get paid for scrap in scrap, but something which is currently out of favour, and do the same when the price of that metal rises, but for that storage is required and no doubt licencing. But in theory you could transmute base metals into gold that way... I know a scrappie who deals in both!

I made 8 pounds odd for my item, so planning to put that into buying some bits I think might sell..

i have been quite focused on crafting recently and can be quite tight fisted when it comes to the purchase of my crafting supplies. Although my spare spends are very limited these days my craft stock of the usuals like glue etc is enough to get me going on a starter. Been looking at Etsy which seems better than ebay for craft stuff and I might give it a go.. have an idea for table centre pieces for weddings that I have not seen done or advertised but I need to work out a a way to do this on a grander scale than one at a time. Small outlay but could lucrative.

Early Monday mornings are great for crafters just before recycling lorry comes round.. I tend to look out for jars.. which people are now selling on instead of giving away.. I see toilet roll holders for sale on ebay too.. its amazing what people will buy!!!
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT