THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non-linear time

Non-linear time

Personaly I believe time is not linear, just that our minds work in a linear way of thinking. My own reasoning for none-linear time is that our minds can travel freely to the past by remembering the past, ever had a great memory that you go back too? Where it's like you live that moment again? As we can remember the past we can also remember the future, I can only speak for my self, I've had dreams in the past where I was in a situation that played out just as it did in my dreams. Last time I had one was 5 years ago, just when I met my current best friend, it was when I lived up in Stockholm. In the dream the two of us where walking together with a person I didn't know on a dirt road with trees on the sides, big fields and a grey factory building. I told him about it and he didn't think anything of it, neither did I, I just like to talk about my dreams. About a year later when I had moved to Vingåker the person from the dream got introduced to me, but I didn't know it, apparently it was an old friend to my best friend, it wasn't until the 3 of us took a walk at the place I dreamed of that it finaly clicked for me. I reminded my best friend of my dream and he said "you'r right, weird". Hence my belief that times not linear.

I leave one question I ponder alot, is history, both past, present and future written in stone?

What are your thoughts on linear/non-linear time?

Science also point towards non-linear time, if your interested check out the quantum eraser experiment.
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

Not written in stone no,i had a dream i thought could of been the future,it was not good,it did scare me,so what i did was to change the possibility of it happening,it now can`t happen like in the dream
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Very interesting, may I ask what the dream was, and what you did to change it? =)

In my dream,i witnessed a very destructive end of the world type scenario where i actually live,but there were some things that happened,so i removed those things in real life so it can`t now come true. (fingers crossed for good luck)
    I like to think i have changed a bad future for one that can`t happen like it did in my dream.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you succeeded, I am very grateful =)
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Originally Posted by Zambaku
    Personaly I believe time is not linear, just that our minds work in a linear way of thinking. My own reasoning for none-linear time is that our minds can travel freely to the past by remembering the past, ever had a great memory that you go back too? Where it's like you live that moment again? As we can remember the past we can also remember the future, I can only speak for my self, I've had dreams in the past where I was in a situation that played out just as it did in my dreams. Last time I had one was 5 years ago, just when I met my current best friend, it was when I lived up in Stockholm. In the dream the two of us where walking together with a person I didn't know on a dirt road with trees on the sides, big fields and a grey factory building. I told him about it and he didn't think anything of it, neither did I, I just like to talk about my dreams. About a year later when I had moved to Vingåker the person from the dream got introduced to me, but I didn't know it, apparently it was an old friend to my best friend, it wasn't until the 3 of us took a walk at the place I dreamed of that it finaly clicked for me. I reminded my best friend of my dream and he said "you'r right, weird". Hence my belief that times not linear.

I leave one question I ponder alot, is history, both past, present and future written in stone?

What are your thoughts on linear/non-linear time?

Science also point towards non-linear time, if your interested check out the quantum eraser experiment.
    The book The Akashic Record that I just finished, explains time a hologram. Quantum mechanics and string theory agrees. It says that in the next incarnation, one could go into the future or the past.

Edgar Cayce used to go to Akasha to get info on his patients. Nostradamus got all his visions from Akasha. And as time is not written in stone some didn't happen.

Heavenly Creature
    As a philosophical point, it would be very difficult to go back in time to live another life without changing the past, because different decisions and choices would be made. And for each of us who did this there would be more changes to the history of the past. All having a cumulative effect. So changing our history in what is now the present.

Unless of course one imagines a multiplicity of worlds, each in its own bubble, to reincarnate into. But this would be very wasteful of the universe. And the universe wastes nothing.

Of course, one could suggest that we all go back to rerun what we did before in a previous existence, and try to get it right this time, thus resulting in a better present now. But this raises the question of where did the previous present go, with all its records?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT

Since the universe is only adequately explained by mathematics and there are numerous algorithmic forms of time to explain various anomalies within it that seemingly stand alone (time speeds up and slows down due to gravitational mass or is bent) but all anomolies are interconnected ior in n chains and may also be linearized within the flow of time then it stands to reason that time is not actually linear but present in multiple forms.Its more convenient for us to see it as linear.

Quantum theory suggests time can be bent over on itself in theory allowing time travel-i think scientists in Australia? have just written an algorythmic formula that neatly explains this.
    Time is only linear in how we organise it for our own convenience and how our memories recall it.Time may behave oddly in various anomalies but flows only one way.What happened before cannot be altered its slready occurred.

I suppose thats illustrated by imagining your on a train looking out of the window and everything is moving past and different speeds.Things close to are rushing by.The middle distance things are moving much more slowly and at the horizon barely moving at all but overall the same amount of time had elapsed from a linear point of view as we sit watching it.

Its quite fascinating that when you go outside on a clear night and look up at the billions of stars,what is encapsulated in that seemingly static view is everything thats ever happened in the entire universe and more interestingly,that will happen.That everything in that view is flying apart at collosal speed but from our view point its a frozen picture.

As for our mind and our memories and whether mind allows us to.move through time i dont know.
    Memories are just that and our brains are immensely powerful organs that barely use a fraction of their computational function and are infinitely capable of storing past memories and experiences in exquisite detail,so vivid we are seemingly back in that moment...the question is are we truly in that moment or is it just a memory ?

I have often wondered because everything in the universe is interconnected and everything for instance that we had in our view of the night sky is everything thats ever happened or will happen in time so logically is part of us already and in our mind already.
    That might sound fanciful but how do we explain our concious mind ? it cannot be found,its not a physical entity that can be seen,touched or examined but it exists nevertheless in the mass of tissue and nerve neurons of our brain.
    Maybe our brain is just an organ capable of connecting with consciousness of the universe so therefore we can see both past and future if we're tuned in on the right wavelength.?

Ive had so many repetitive vivid visions and experiences since as a child of a totally different historical era visions that i could not possibly have recreated from my present as a child back then that im convinced i have some past events or past life memories locked up in my consciousness whether theyre mine or what ive tapped into ive no clue, but theyre very real never alter they always play through in the same sequence and not any psychotic imaginative creation of my own mind.

Like the OP ive also seen future episodes or events of my own life,sometimes a short time before they occur sometimes long time before.Places ive dreamed of and never been,and with people ive never met that have subsequently become key parts of my life(including the farm where i am now) so yes im convinced of our ability to see the future too in certain circumstances.
    Maybe we all see some of our future in the dreams we have,as well as the past too, but we rarely remember much of what we dream unless we're woken in the middle of one, so much remains a mystery and not ever recalled.
    Are our brains time machines or are we just part of a huge time machine.?.
    One thing im sure of is space/time and how it and we all fit together is so variable, multi faceted and at times inexplicably illogical we will never know the answer ...is there a single answer even?
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 25-03--2017 at 09:19 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

lone wolf survivalist.
    dosent time as such only exist since the time humans invented clocks and watches?

Time is the continuation of existence , the space or duration between one event and the next,its irreversible. Humans just invented a measurement of time to quantify the duration of space between one event and the next...in our casebased on our solar orbital cycle so beings elsewhere in the universe probably have a completely different set of time measurements.If they ,like us,have learned to navigate around their planet they will need a wsy of measuring time accurstely according to their own solar cycle in order to plot their position on their planet.Their 'year' msy be longer or shorter than ours but time passing is universal.They will still arrive at the same conclusions on linear or non linear time and various time anomalies because mathematical theory is the same everywhere.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

lone wolf survivalist.
    i think time was irrelevant to our ancient ancestors, it didn't matter how long something took-they just got on with it. time has only been relevant since we became "civilised".
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    Time, or the passage between events as NomadicRT defines it, would probably only be important to more primitive peoples for reasons of food; knowing at what time animal herds passed through, what times fish were abundant, when best to gather certain wild crops, etc. As we became more settled and 'civilised', and left behind the hunter-gather stage, planting and sowing times would become more important, even crucial. With the coming of the priestly classes and the necessity to deceive and impress other people, a knowledge of astronomy and the passage of time would be advantageous.

(If it all happened in that orthodox sequence, of course. It may be that our ancient ancestors were the survivors of some earlier civilisation that failed dramatically, and became savages through necessity, taking with them a quite advanced knowledge of astronomy and other sciences, but having no technical way to use them, other than predict solar and lunar events).

lone wolf survivalist.
    I think your talking more about seasons than time Keith, time is only important if your punching in a time clock or have an appointment to go to. otherwise it means very little.

Originally Posted by hagrid
    I think your talking more about seasons than time Keith, time is only important if your punching in a time clock or have an appointment to go to. otherwise it means very little.
    or maybe cockle picking in Morecombe bay?

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Shroom
    or maybe cockle picking in Morecombe bay?
    then you need a tide table!!

and what is fundamental in the basic use of a tide table ? yep , knowing the fecking time
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT, Rick69

lone wolf survivalist.
    not necessarily, its knowing that the tide goes in and out, some people who don't live near the coast don't even know this, and if your on the beach keeping an eye on what the tide is doing and acting accordingly. time dosent really come into it, its called being "responsible for your actions" and not expecting others to come to your rescue when your acting like an idiot.

Transcending
    If time is not linear, as some theorists suggest, and it can indeed be folded so that you can cross from one time to another, then surely the logical explanation is that everything happens simultaneously. Therefore there is no "past" or "future", just one infinitesimally short "everything". The "past" is happening now, the "future" is happening now, there is no existence before now and there is none after.

I'm going to eat that new packet of chocolate digestives while I can.
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Transcending

A compass might have been more useful.

the sort of idiot that has a tide table in his pocket and no idea of the time ? , a tide table is like a bus or train time table , see the word 'time' there ? , without knowledge as to what time of day it is then a tide table is more useful as arse paper (unless its laminated) than a guide to the tides .

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    A compass might have been more useful.
    so would some brain cells. if in doubt stay out of the water and off the beach.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Shroom
    the sort of idiot that has a tide table in his pocket and no idea of the time ? , a tide table is like a bus or train time table , see the word 'time' there ? , without knowledge as to what time of day it is then a tide table is more useful as arse paper (unless its laminated) than a guide to the tides .
    it is useful for those that don't know the local conditions, I only used one as a general guide to whether the tide was coming in or going out, most times I left it at home as the exact tide time was irrelevant, by the time the tide had fully come in I was long gone(sea fishing that is).

lone wolf survivalist.
    in any case, that is for a special occupation, I was referring to time in general.
    in my own case I get up when it gets light, at this time of year that is about 6AM, and I go to bed when it is dark-around 9PM, i'm not one for a strict time table, I eat when i'm hungry and sleep when i'm tired.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, gophangover

pretty much the same as me , when I get hungry I sometimes have a boiled duck egg , timing is of the essense
    The following users think this post is groovy: schatje