THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Initial Off Grid Electricity

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    yes I just had storm lanterns(paraffin) for lights, Aladdin boiling stove for cooking in the winter(paraffin again), that was about the sum total of it.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Sounds about what i had..a primus paraffin stove and hurricane lamp...later i went all modern with a tilley paraffin lamp...and an ex army canvas tent....luxury lol
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Theres a much better option if youre moving into a yurt and thats converting a normal small domestic chest freezer into a fridge.Chest freezers are more efficient (the cold doesnt fall out when you open the door) and easily converted by changing the thermostst module.
    Thanks for the info. Yes the caravans we are looking at are the late 90s ones. Plenty available in Ireland, they seem to come up a lot. Most seems to have the 3 ways fridges in them so Ill probably be running them off gas since thats what ill be using the genny with anyway.

Ive never living in one before so the info you have above is a big help. Ill start looking for 12v circuitry for what Im using off the bat. I had heard of the chest freezer conversion before, will look into it. Seems like a good option for the longer term. Would picking up some of the old caravan fridges (gas) be a good gambit as well. I know theyre small but surely there are many out there, particularly in dealerships.

Sex
    Male
    If youre converting a chest freezer another option is an external stat. Eliwell do some quality ones in 12v, ebay will probably have some chinese clones cheaper as well

Something like

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by multihippie
    Thanks for the info. Yes the caravans we are looking at are the late 90s ones. Plenty available in Ireland, they seem to come up a lot. Most seems to have the 3 ways fridges in them so Ill probably be running them off gas since thats what ill be using the genny with anyway.

Ive never living in one before so the info you have above is a big help. Ill start looking for 12v circuitry for what Im using off the bat. I had heard of the chest freezer conversion before, will look into it. Seems like a good option for the longer term. Would picking up some of the old caravan fridges (gas) be a good gambit as well. I know theyre small but surely there are many out there, particularly in dealerships.
    Because of the new price of them,second hand fridges go for silly money usually around 200 or more but as theres not much to go wrong with them its worth getting one if you find one cheap enough. Usually if running on gas you might need a new gas jet or thermostat or rechsrging with gas but non of that is expenssive...Many have little freezer compartments in.Theyre adequste for keeping enough chilled food for 2 for a week.If youre after one for your yurt look on ebay theres usually a one or two runners on there...the caravsn breakers will charge you an arm and leg for them

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Theyre also not terribly reliable.I bought two 'cheap'ish Chinese inverters and they packed up and too uneconomical to send back to manufacturers with no absolute guarantee theyd replace them.I bought an American Plessy instead,more expensive but it works properly and still is and a long decent no quibble warrsnty like most American stuff.
    Apologies i meant Platt inverter not Plessy -my bad

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by cornwall87
    I'd get as much storage as you could afford, I've been off grid for 4 years now and having a big (ish) battery bank has been amazing I'm at 24v though. I use 12v g4 cob leds and they draw such a tiny amount of power (1.9w) but are a warm light .
    I'm using these too, or something very similar. You can buy a ceramic cap with wires into which the lamp plugs. The caps have holes which you can use for mountings. You can improvise a reflector from a little mirror or a foil cooking tray. Diffusers can be made from frosted sheet acrylic or by adapting other light fittings. Remember that the LED lights do make a little heat so allow for convection cooling, and don't fit the lamp in contact with the reflector or diffuser.