Thread: JOIN A PEACEFUL VIGIL OUTSIDE A SUFFOLK ABATTOIRE

Not Quite a Noobie

JOIN A PEACEFUL VIGIL OUTSIDE A SUFFOLK ABATTOIRE

Hi all, if you're passionate about animal welfare (or even just curious), and are in the Suffolk area on Monday 27th Feb, you might like to join a peaceful vigil outside an abattoir in Eye. The event is being organised by SAVE Suffolk (part of the SAVE Movement). You can find more here:
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    but if you don't do Facebook, the vigil will be held outside C&K Meats Lts, Mid Suffolk Business Park, Potash Lane, Eye, IP23 7HE, between 7am - 5pm. Hope to see you there.

Just for some background info, the Save Movement is a worldwide network of people who come together to bear witness to farmed animals in the last hours of their lives before slaughter. The movement holds day-long vigils outside abattoirs across the world, offering animals compassion in their last hours before death.

Sounds cooky, but it's truly a very powerful activity - not only
    for those participating and for the animals themselves (who experience gentle, caring, human contact - possibly for first time in their lives), but also for the workers, truck drivers, owners coming in and out of the abattoirs. These are peaceful vigils, (not protests or demonstrations, despite the subject header of this thread); folk are there just to bear witness to the suffering of the animals, not to preach or intimidate or be in any way aggressive or confrontational.

The broader goals of the movement are to peacefully raise awareness about the plight of farmed animals, to sow the seeds of veganism and to build a mass-based, grassroots animal justice movement. There are many SAVE groups across the UK - more info available here:
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the suffering of another creature causes you to feel pain, do not submit to the initial desire to flee from the suffering one, but on the contrary, come closer, as close as you can to him who suffers, and try to help him" - Leo Tolstoy.

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Miss_bee, nomis, Paul

That must be a very intense experience i would really struggle to keep it together. How close are you allowed to get to the animals? It's a very compassionate and kind thing to do...would take a lot of strength being there knowing what they're about to go through..

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    The Animal Save movement is really growing at the moment. I know a couple of the people involved in Essex Pig Save and London Chicken Save.

Moby Features Toronto Pig Save in his latest video

Not Quite a Noobie
    Close enough to touch and stroke (through the cattle truck grilles). And yes, very intense, Emma. But it's the most valid and meaningful use of my time I know of.

The organisers usually liaise in advance with the abattoir manager/owner, and work hard to gain their agreement for the trucks to stop for a few minutes before entering the yard. That gives us time to be alongside the animals (still crated), reach thru with water bottles (they've often had long journeys). We speak softly to them, stroke them, offer them gentleness and love. And they know. It's strange and beautiful and utterly heartbreaking, but I am certain it makes a small difference to their sad and sorry lives. I do find it incredibly hard not to let my anger bubble up, especially when some drivers get really impatient and clearly don't appreciate or understand our presence.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Not Quite a Noobie
    Thank you, Moby. My main man xxx

Not Quite a Noobie

Originally Posted by Paul
    I know a couple of the people involved in Essex Pig Save and London Chicken Save.

Yes - Next Essex Pig Save on 13th March at Cheale Meats, Little Warley, CM13 3EN
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee