THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Old engine oil running a fridge/ freezer?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just a simple guy

Electrolux RM212? Was there a tinplate box around the burner area?

A little aluminium guard I removed it
    just a simple guy

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    A little aluminium guard I removed it
    OK... I'm a bit surprised you've got a stable flame without it fitted.... They can be really sensitive to draughts...

It's an Electrolux RM 212f and in the pic it's on med or high but I switched it to low and I ran it for a couple of hours till I turned it off.
    just a simple guy

Found this on eBay, the guy built it himself, but it looks like you could use it to heat buildings. Possibly take heat off to drive your fridge or copy the design but scale it down, then Sell on the oil heater to get your money back.

even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

I love that heater...i wsnt one
    a model suitable for a vehicle would be good.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

I saw that when I was looking for a greenhouse heater with a reasonable runtime it looks good, this is what I was going to buy 361394777757 remove the horizontal bit at the top and turn the end into a point to marry up to the chamber, plus if it doesn't work I've got a little 25 paraffin heater to use ?
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    I love that heater...i wsnt one
    a model suitable for a vehicle would be good.
    buy it then and re-model & scale it down. Manufacture them and sell them to travellers.
    Get a loan for your home or a course on a London bus, save yourself, buy it today.

I wouldn't want the compensation claim dropping on my door mat, when Spot the dog was poisoned by Carbon monoxide or worse, Spot grew a third ear due to the heavy contaminates found in burnt used engine oil.

Maybe you could put the burner under your trailer with a hole in the floor and a hole in the celling with the chimney running through and out the top all the heat none of the fumes..
    just a simple guy

It looks like the weather is shit today so I might mess around with it a bit more I might make a metal sleeve and connect my Victorian oil lamp up to it and see if it works on its paraffin flame,I don't want to ruin my lamp and wick by pouring old oil in it, if it works I'll order a greenhouse heater.
    just a simple guy

Prototype up and running!
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, NomadicRT, realnutter, Rick69, Sootyfoot, ursus

I've just found something on YouTube (coke can waste motor oil lantern)looks promising it uses steel wool as a wick.
    just a simple guy

It works but it's weak I've shortened the sleeve so the flame is closer to the chamber twice, what I need is one of those laser thermometers then i could run it on low with gas and take a reading from the exit point then switch to oil and see how it compares but I haven't got one, nearly bought one at lidl's a couple of weeks ago too , I'm going to have to let in run over night to give it a fair chance but I'm all out of paraffin
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    buy it then and re-model & scale it down. Manufacture them and sell them to travellers.
    Get a loan for your home or a course on a London bus, save yourself, buy it today.

I wouldn't want the compensation claim dropping on my door mat, when Spot the dog was poisoned by Carbon monoxide or worse, Spot grew a third ear due to the heavy contaminates found in burnt used engine oil.
    At 350 youre avin a lsrf...another 300 ive got meself a tried a d trusted Refleks heater

The OP'sers idea was to burn waste engine oil. Not commit to buying in a taxed fuel. I was thinking of just copying the design but scaling it down to work just to power a lpg fridge/freezer,. Nothing more, then selling on or making several. This guy wouldn't have patented his designs I imagine so no issues to worry about there and he's done the reaseach and field testing. What's 300 for all that and a working model with operating demonstration thrown in.
    It doesn't look like they will burn waste engine oil unfortunately.
    Ive just looked at Lockgate - Relfleks diesel heater, in particular the ink inland waterways heater.

I have yet to find a price and compare those to the Refleks marine heater.

i played around with waste oil heaters for some time. The easiest, both to build and use that i found was a small diameter pot filled with cat litter for combustion in a chamber, linked to a large diameter pot on the outside in which you put a level of oil. The cat litter soaks up the oil and stops it all catching fire, instead it vaporises it.

To light you chuck a rag or some tissue on the oil soaked cat litter, it starts a bit smoky but then the oil starts vaporising and then you are away, a nice hot clean flame.

As the outer pot is of a large diameter but linked, the level you put in it will equalise with the other, so if you fill a large diameter pot with oil it will keep a level in the smaller pot for a reasonable length of time, and once its been burning for a while even as the level drops it carries on burning until the oil is gone and it goes out.

For pots i used something like a 2 inch diameter stainless tube filled with cat litter inside a small propane bottle with a 2 inch flue, and an old pressure cooker for the oil reservoir. This would burn for hours, and if you want a smaller flame you either put a disk with a hole in it over the top of the inner pot or use a smaller diameter pipe.

I'd post a drawing but my scanner is knackered, ill try and sketch one tomorrow and take a photo of it if itll be of any help...
    Last edited by Rick69; 25-02--2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Detail
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    The OP'sers idea was to burn waste engine oil. Not commit to buying in a taxed fuel. I was thinking of just copying the design but scaling it down to work just to power a lpg fridge/freezer,. Nothing more, then selling on or making several. This guy wouldn't have patented his designs I imagine so no issues to worry about there and he's done the reaseach and field testing. What's 300 for all that and a working model with operating demonstration thrown in.
    It doesn't look like they will burn waste engine oil unfortunately.
    Ive just looked at Lockgate - Relfleks diesel heater, in particular the ink inland waterways heater.

I have yet to find a price and compare those to the Refleks marine heater.
    To spend 300 one first has to have 300 ..not an amount i have spare most months ..maybe a tenth of that if im lucky....sadly the link you put up is a 404 error.....this is the Refleks on ebay 311692727691 if youre looking for a comparison.

Sorry I was burnt out. I'm using a tablet and the page is so tiny. I'm striding between dyslexia and failing eyesight. The typing box looks smaller to me than the ingredients list on the back of Tesco home brand packaging.

They this.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

no probs i have the same issues ..dyslexic /myopic

Another bad weather day! I'm going to try and find some steel wool in the bottom of a toolbox somewhere and see what engine oil burns like using it as a wick I'm thinking when the wool gets hot it might thin/pre-heat the oil a bit and help ?..
    just a simple guy

I can't find any
    I've dreamt up another possible improvement to the steel wool say i rolled it and pushed it down some 22mm copper pipe and put the pipe in the reservoir and lit the wool sticking out the top the heat would transfer down the pipe warming and thining the oil plus a better capillary affect getting fuel from the bottom of the reservoir?? What's needed is a pencil like flame because the diameter of the pipe/chamber on the fridge is 20mm,any thoughts.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Another bad weather day! I'm going to try and find some steel wool in the bottom of a toolbox somewhere and see what engine oil burns like using it as a wick I'm thinking when the wool gets hot it might thin/pre-heat the oil a bit and help ?..
    Try a Brillo pad. Abit firmer gauge

Maybe run two burners. One rough and ready to heat and hopefully vaporise the old engine oil and pipe this off to a refined burner for the fridge.