THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Old engine oil running a fridge/ freezer?

I saw that very interesting
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just a simple guy

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I am not going to bury this fridge!
    no I wouldn't bury that fridge. But the next large single fridge I find going free, I will give it a go.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I don't suppose anybody knows what sort of power consumption my fridge uses on 12v ? I want to know what size solar panel would be needed.
    just a simple guy

I don't suppose anybody knows what sort of power consumption my fridge uses on 12v ? I want to know what size solar panel would be needed.
    The 12v heater element is rated at 100W, I think...

I've started again! I got an old coke can and filled it with new engine oil
    put some new oil soaked fine steel wool in as in the video and lit it with a blowtorch on a low setting same thing it lights but fizzled out, when I pulled apart the wool It looked dry so bad flow I guess.next I tried with the wool going through tube still no good,then i poured a little paraffin down the tube and lit it worked for a bit then ran dry,then i poured some paraffin in the can on top of the oil and put the wool back in without the tube and lit it
    it became very angry and started spitting little fire balls everywhere so I had to smother it with a towel,then i opened up the fibres of the wool a bit lit it again and put the cone/sleeve thing I made on top
    it's been running for an hour but looks to be dieing, the oil in the can has become very hot.
    just a simple guy

Can you run a drip feed tube to the flame and wire wool wick?
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Can you run a drip feed tube to the flame and wire wool wick?
    I could explore that and will I think but not until I've exhausted all possibilities of the simple wick idea,if it's gone out I will start messing with the wool a bit opening up the fibres and keep it short closer to the surface of the fuel and cut the oil with something flammable.
    just a simple guy

I don't even know if oil and paraffin mix? I would need to put them together in a glass and see if they separate.
    just a simple guy

It's gone out ran for a little over an hour and doesn't seem to have used hardly any oil so at a guess I'd say that it was running on the paraffin I put in and it had sat unmixed on top of the oil but I can't see because it's in a can and the oil is new and clear.
    just a simple guy

The guy on eBay said if he mxed diesel with the oil it helped lighting and thinning some oils he used. Once he said it was "up to" temperature it just ran as it was then set up, oil preheated, drip set. His big claim was getting the oil pre heated (so thinned) and partially vaporised??? This helped him control the drip to the burn pan.

It's been getting very hot,hot enough for that errie white vapour mist to form under the flame, I've got diesel and white spirit, olive oil ,veg oil to try.
    just a simple guy

What % diesel to oil 10% ?
    just a simple guy

What % diesel to oil 10% ?
    I think he said a cupful of diesel to the gallon of used engine oil.

Halayula I have a frosty box
    , tried 5/10/15% diesel still no good tried neat diesel with new wool it worked but it was burning right down at the bottom of the wool so vapour more than wick and weak,so i tried the old oil with a 5% ish mix with white spirit it seems good I also found a can that fits exactly on the chamber and notched it around the bottom pipe to act as a wind shield and no heat flows past the bottom plate and is wasted,if anything it seems to be working too well I want it to use the minimum amount of fuel I'll lower the wick and restrict the air flow if it stays alight for a while and proves itself.
    Last edited by Offgrid hero; 09-03--2017 at 07:16 PM.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    Time for a tutorial!

Halayula I have a frosty box
    , tried 5/10/15% diesel still no good tried neat diesel with new wool it worked but it was burning right down at the bottom of the wool so vapour more than wick and weak,so i tried the old oil with a 5% ish mix with white spirit it seems good I also found a can that fits exactly on the chamber and notched it around the bottom pipe to act as a wind shield and no heat flows past the bottom plate and is wasted,if anything it seems to be working too well I want it to use the minimum amount of fuel I'll lower the wick and restrict the air flow if it stays alight for a while and proves itself.
    Pissing myself... frosty box is what my ex had when I didn't come home for a few nights. Glad your getting somewhere.

I woke up to a ambient box this morning it had gone out
    I've decided that steel wool isn't a good wick, had a quick look on eBay I'm going to order a 1" glass fiber Aga/Rayburn wick and try that.
    just a simple guy

The new wick has been delivered,I will collect it as soon as I can and continue with this endeavour
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Got round to clearing the garage today after my van build so i can get back to playing with oil burners

I did pull some glass fiber insulation out of the roof of my trailer to try as a wick it worked better than the steel but eventually melted together and stopped the flow.
    just a simple guy

Noobie
    I still do not understand how putting a fire under a coil at the back of the ice box is making the system work. I did not read the entire line to date, so forgive me if I missed a tech listing or the like. But I do understand AC and referent flows. What you are telling me is that the heating of the refrigerant at the back of the box, and with its vaping components, makes the box work? When a fluid or a gas is heated, it spreads in all directions at once unless it is acted upon by something. one end of that coil has a compressor, the other a valve or orifice. to my knowledge there is not a one way device at any point to make the flow work and in so create the pressure drop to create the cooling effect? can some one help me there?

I'm no expert but I think the gas mix boils rises condenses then evaporation cools the relevant thing and bingo you've got cold,or something?
    just a simple guy

The science is here:

Now come back and explain it in layman's terms when you've understood it!

Basically - and not actually correctly but will explain it..

Ammonia boils off in the evaporater removing heat from its surroundings. This is the same as a standard fridge.
    The gas is then absorbed by water in the second part of the system.
    The ammonia is boiled out of the water gas mix in the third stage and then condensed to go back into the evaporator at stage 1.