THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Annual leave entitlement

Annual leave entitlement

I'm just wondering about this for my dad.

He works part time, 3 days a week. His employer has worked out that he should get 17 days annual leave. I'm assuming this is 20 + 8 (bank holidays), reduced to reflect 3 days work instead of 5.

However, his employer is making him include his normal days off as annual leave, if they fall between days off. For example. His normal working days are Wed-Fri. He went on holiday from Friday to Wednesday and they recorded that as four days annual leave (Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday). This doesn't sound right to me. Should it be two days?
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

2 of them are days off anyway if I'm reading it right. You only use holidays for the days you actuallu worked.

Previously in a part time job I had I worked Sun, Tue, Thu, Fri.

If I wanted to be off for a week for a holiday I would use 4 days of my entitlement as thats what I worked.

If I was away Monday to Friday I would of used 3 days holiday to cover Tue, Thu, Fri.

If I went away for the weekend I ie Sat, Sun I would us 1 day for the sunday.

I was on short shifts so my holidays where pro rata into hours holiday.

Thats BS..annual leave covers your actual work days you take off they cant take his normal days off as annual leave days.It should be two days leave.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

I'm no employment lawyer but what they are suggesting is wrong to me UNLESS the employer is including the weekends of a full-time employee in the annual leave calculations.

If the employer is calculating 4 weeks full-time annual leave as 28 days, then that would include weekends and that ties up with what you have suggested in your post of 20 + 8, although you have suggested the 8 days are Bank Holiday days. I think your Dad needs to ask how they calculated his annual leave entitlement. They may have taken his 4 days off into their calculations of how much time he is due and, if they have added 4 days rather than 2 days to account for his working part-time.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

28days holiday isnt 4 weeks. Its 5 weeks 3 days off not including weekends

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This does include bank holidays though.

17 days is the statuatory minimum for 3 days per week
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

It would also be 2 days leave in the op's case, ie the friday and the wednesday. If you are not rostered to work there is no requirement to use a holiday day.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, NomadicRT

When does the leave year run?

One of my employers would give all unused holiday pay on the last month of the leave year (March)
    regardless of what I worked, or didn't work.

Meant I could look forward to an extra couple of hours pay in March.

Best place to find out is company policy.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

states it is statutory, so there has to be a written policy.

HR always used to hate showing it though, because it meant I knew as much as they did.

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Whenever I've worked part time I have only ever booked off days that I don't normally work. Sounds like they are either trying to pull a fast one.

My employer has messed around with the system to make it "fairer" - I work 4 days a week instead of 5 (Fridays off), and historically I would get 7 out of 8 bank holidays off without needing to use annual leave - I let them have Good Friday as a goodwill thing.

However since the changes, they've now added the Bank Holidays onto our allowance, but we must log a Bank Holiday down as annual leave on the timesheet. Trouble is, the BH entitlement is 4/5 of the full time people i.e. 6.4 days - I reckon they're on the fiddle there, especially as they asked me to sign something to agree to it, and I refused...
    Never Knowingly Understood

Use the calculator above to work out your entitlement. If you take a bank holiday off it is quite legal for your employor to take it off your annual entitlement.

If what they are offering you is above statuatory then id count it as a bonus and sign, unless everyone else has a very generous leave entitlement.

I work 12 hour shift, 4 days a week, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

So my days off are Sat, Sun and Monday.

I get "an extra week" off as when it is a bank holiday i get the day off rolled over.

So I think i get a good deal there.
    The trouble is, you think you have time.

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

I get 20 days AL,which does'nt sound alot considering I am working 4 days of 12 hrs shifts.However,if I take a shift off (4 days)as I work 4 on 4 off,I get the 4 days off before my AL and 4 days off after my AL so in all 12 days off even though I only get paid for the days AL.Better than a kick up the arse!lol Otoh,if our shift falls on Xmas Day,we have no choice but to use a days AL as the company shuts down on Xmas Day.
    Re the OP question,your dad should only submit AL forms for the actual days he would normally of been working,and they in return should pay him for those AL days of course.Any other day off (which is not spent working on his usual shift pattern)should not be classed as AL.