THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Woodland Wedding & Campsites

Woodland Wedding & Campsites

Hello folks

Does anyone have experience/knowledge around whether it would be possible in the UK to buy land and offer it occasionally as a humanist wedding venue?

My fiance and I have struggled to find the type of wedding venue we would like and so have thought about offering it ourselves.

We would buy land/woodland and offer some kind of mobile 'venue' (along the lines of a tipi or similar) for a handful of weekends in the year (within the 28 day rule).

Would that be possible? Or would it be shut down at the first hint of a wedding/reception?

If weddings were out the picture, we'd also be interested in setting up a tiny, eco-friendly campsite, again for just a teeny portion of the year.

Sex
    Male
    I think the venue has to be licenced for the actual wedding ceremony. If it's a business that is not in keeping with the (normal Woodland/agricultural) it would require full planning consent even if it was only for a few days a year as a business. Nothing to stop you or friends and family from celebrating the marriage in the woods. If youcontact a willing vicor and ask a few questions, they should be well informed.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    I seem to have it in the back of my mind 'offical weddings ' have to be indoors in uk

Bungos got married in SA , outside below a cliff we love to climb
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Miss_bee, Wulfie

Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by ma bungo
    I seem to have it in the back of my mind 'offical weddings ' have to be indoors in uk
    They're not according to google
    Unlike in Scotland, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, humanist weddings are not yet recognised in law and so couples often go to the register office to take care of the legal formalities in the days before or after their humanist wedding. “It was a beautiful ceremony that exceeded our expectations.
    So it'll just be a private party as far as the powers that be should be concerned so left well alone but one concern would be neighbours should a large number of vehicles keep descending on a wood as someone's bound to complain.
    Not all who wander are lost

Sex
    Male
    The official guidance on what can constitute a wedding venue is here...;

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    They're not according to google

So it'll just be a private party as far as the powers that be should be concerned so left well alone but one concern would be neighbours should a large number of vehicles keep descending on a wood as someone's bound to complain.
    And to run private or commercial parties (as a business) in woodland or on agricultural land requires planning consent for change of use.