THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 12v Problem solving!

my bet is the batts are sulphated ..the lead plates get coated in lead sulphate if they are not recharged fully after use ..there are desuphation chargers but ive never found them much use
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwill View Post
    my bet is the batts are sulphated ..the lead plates get coated in lead sulphate if they are not recharged fully after use ..there are desuphation chargers but ive never found them much use
    Have you ever used the pulse desulphators ? Theyre not expensive but no idea if theyre any good or just gimmicks.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Got a cheap eBay drop tester coming next week so will hopefully know more then.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Shroom

I also odrered one , about 17 quid

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Have you ever used the pulse desulphators ? Theyre not expensive but no idea if theyre any good or just gimmicks.
    i have built severall typesof pulse desulphaters they do work but are only of any use if used early on in the batterys life and used regular..they never seem to restore the batts to as new..ther is a mechanical wheel like switch useing 110 volts ac but not tried this it delivers a very large pulse tothe plates..also knocking the battery ive heard can help dangerous because you could smash the casing...there no substitute fo new batterys ..in my opinion .....if using things requring a lot of current such as inverters etc...

3 of my batteries are under 12 months old and was thinking of the desuphator for them.The 4th is a 6 year old trojan that wont die Normally i buy new batts when theyre 2 to 3 years old as i cant be bothered with them when they start playing up.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill

Quote Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
    I also odrered one , about 17 quid
    You got ripped off, mine was 16!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

What's the verdict on those bloody batteries Johnny?
    just a simple guy

Quote Originally Posted by Offgrid hero View Post
    What's the verdict on those bloody batteries Johnny?
    Drop tester arrived but I've been waiting for the sun to shine to get some charge into them before testing. I may have a go when I get home from work this evening.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Postponed until Wednesday (I've needed light the last few evenings so didn't want to start disconnecting the batteries!)

Aghh! They responded to the drop test fine so I'm still none the wiser. I decided to get some stainless steel nuts for the the posts to replace the make do none stainless ones. They were slightly small, after a bit of force 2 snapped battery posts... I think I might just bite the bullet and buy 2 Trojans, if they seem to be OK I'll save up and get another 2.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanh1989 View Post
    Aghh! They responded to the drop test fine so I'm still none the wiser. I decided to get some stainless steel nuts for the the posts to replace the make do none stainless ones. They were slightly small, after a bit of force 2 snapped battery posts... I think I might just bite the bullet and buy 2 Trojans, if they seem to be OK I'll save up and get another 2.
    A test that I would do is connect a inverter up close to the batteries with crock clips and connect a reasonable load to it say 100w and see how long the inverter runs for before it shuts off to conserve power for potentially starting a engine,it will give you a good idea what the batteries preform like.
    just a simple guy