Thread: Asbestos in Talcum Powder

Asbestos in Talcum Powder

Until today I was ignorant of this.Most persons are probably already aware of asbestos in roofing sheets,insulation,brake linings ,heater and cooker backing boards in both my old caravans etc but not this.
    http://www.asbestos.net/exposure/pro...l/baby-powder/

I knew talcum is a similar construction to asbestos,and has been found in body cavities,and in well,prob too much info,but is linked to ovarian cancer,and found in boils etc in intimate areas.so for want of a better substitute why are people still sprinkling this stuff on themselves and moreso their and babies?iv never feltt he need for it on the kids,im prob better iinformed,but lush do some lovely mildly scented ones made with corn starch i believe..i dread to think what my nans insides were like,i always associate talc with my nan,lol xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT

I have not used it either,because of the pore blocking and fragrance,but I had no idea it may contain asbestos,especially from less well regulated sources as asbestos can be used to reduce flamability in the milling machines.My aunt used it profusely as did my mother and the smell of Johnsons baby powder and Imperial Leather still bring back many memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbomama View Post
    I knew talcum is a similar construction to asbestos,and has been found in body cavities,and in well,prob too much info,but is linked to ovarian cancer,and found in boils etc in intimate areas.so for want of a better substitute why are people still sprinkling this stuff on themselves and moreso their and babies?iv never feltt he need for it on the kids,im prob better iinformed,but lush do some lovely mildly scented ones made with corn starch i believe..i dread to think what my nans insides were like,i always associate talc with my nan,lol xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

Heavenly Creature
    That makes sense now. I knew the connection between talc and ovarian cancer, but didn't know why.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Fek,I used it on my babies, it was just what you did & what my parents had done.

I'm with you on the smells Cricket.

This is probably just another, don't eat eggs, do eat eggs. Talc clay) is a mined metamorphic mineral (magnesium silicate) which is crushed. Whilst mining a small amount of silica will be mined along with other natural minerals. This is linked to miners lung diseases, Silicosis a lung disease caused by silica fibres irritating the lining of the lung. Cancer? Like most things. Rock dust, Silica and Talk can cause health issues along with Aluminium and other metals/minerals. However the industrial grade products are for more harmful than those selected and used in cosmetic. Asbestos also is produced in many grades/types, some far more harmful than others. Most of the manufactured cosmetics, household products and building products/materials can potentially cause cancer or harm if wrongly used or humans are over exposed to them.
    Talc is none water soluble, so finding it in parts of the body is not surprising. I would imagine Johnsons are not too worried about sales loss from this report.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 25-02--2017 at 09:04 PM.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, wandering gypsy

I think with older generations it was pretty normal for everyone to use talcum powder,virtually everyone had a libersl coating of it as a cure-all for.minor skin ailments or their prevention from the moment we were born.
    I think.its only with recent resesrch have the dangers of micro particulates like tslc and those found in heavy fuels like diesel that its become a 'hazard' and in looking deeper have found sime less desirable elements mixed in.

Not so long ago aluminium was routinely used in deodorants to stop perspiration....now they discovering it in lymph tissue deep in the body where its migrated from armpits.Its also being potentially associated with breast cancer.

I dont think theres much point in worrying about it just modify your habits and use something else.l if youre worried.

I dont use any traditional body products and havent for a long time cause they nearly all contain the same list of potentially toxic chemicals. Organic or do without is my approach.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 25-02--2017 at 11:50 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Turning On
    Wow, this gives me food for thought, I've used talc for many years, on my babies and on myself after showering.
    I love the smell of scented talc after a shower but have decoded to throw it away after hearing this news. I also didn't realise that anti perspirant contained these things. Thanks for sharing this information.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    I dont use any traditional body products and havent for a long time
    That might suit your lifestyle but for most people, my sons for example, that wouldn't be an option

Im having that too Bernie.He has Diesel aftershave sprayed all over him when he goes out, even the dog sneezes.I have had a long battle over antiperspirant,..sweat only ponks when its being eaten by bugs... talks etc.There have been many secret cans bought and secretly chucked out.Fragrance is exempt from content declaration,the actual perfume part anyhow,due to industry secrecy.Stupid rule.We all have the right to be informed about what we are ingesting/annointing our bodies with.The asbestos got in talc also, as asbestos was actually used to reduce flammability in the milling process.It was a wonder material.If its in your home/caravan,electrical meters/heaters,backing boards are a fave location to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    That might suit your lifestyle but for most people, my sons for example, that wouldn't be an option
    I have also used Vermiculite liberally in the past under floorboards and down chimneys and only recently found out it sometimes also contains asbestos.The cloud from 9/11 is still probably circulating in the stratosphere too.
    Last edited by cricket; 01-03--2017 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Has your son not heard of natural organic soaps and body products then ? I live in a trailer,im not Stig of the Dump.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 02-03--2017 at 12:36 AM.

Talk is organic! I'm sure that's quite safe (the cosmetic verity) in moderation.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

I know...i meant all the other crap that isnt.

Has your son not heard of natural organic soaps and body products then ? I live in a trailer,im not Stig of the Dump.
    No he probably hasn't to be honest, neither would he be interested. He works for a big marketing agency in central London and everything is about the image.

It would suit me, I tend to look like Stig of the dump at times but I don't smell like him.
    Last edited by Bernie; 02-03--2017 at 09:31 AM.

I must need glasses I read this as lesbians in talcum powder heh heh..
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, FriedOnion

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmadilemma View Post
    I must need glasses I read this as lesbians in talcum powder heh heh..
    Is there a video somewhere I can download?

The house was full of organic lovely stinky stuff,however, "oriental fragrance of a thousand organic jasmine blossoms" has no street cred whatsoever.Diesal is cool however.