THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is your 2017 travel plans?

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    cherbourg-poole coming to uk,not yet decided upon which route to leave the uk yet as will depend on whether or not I do the scotland trip. Would imagine it will be back to France vie plymouth or poole from Britain as will have to take care of a couple of clients in France before I consider the northern trip.
    As always,my plans are open to change !!

Agree whole heartedly with Rick that there is so much to see in the uk and it is worth getting to see some of what makes Britain great
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Considering a week in Madera
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

I'm going to visit my friend for lunch tomorrow. She lives a 5 min walk away.

It is good to see people getting out and about. BTW how many people on UKhippy hail from the UK but are living abroad?
    We all lead different lives.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I B 1
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Not Quite a Noobie
    ni hao ma? right now Duckman, In a city called Changde, Hunan province in central China. It is about two hours north of the City of Changsha. Been living here for the last two years. Last summer spent a month on holiday in Hanoi, Vietnam. Not so liberal as the west, but loving the experiences of this great country. I am from the west country. Cornwall. And yupperz can speak Mandarin too, which helps!...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, nicklincs, RoadAngel

Originally Posted by wurzel
    Considering a week in Madera
    It's nice there so many flowers everywhere..

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    It's nice there so many flowers everywhere..

cool, never been before, just fancy something new and different
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

Originally Posted by Duckman
    It is good to see people getting out and about. BTW how many people on UKhippy hail from the UK but are living abroad?
    Me and my hubby have been living in SW France since 2003

Originally Posted by beadyjean
    Me and my hubby have been living in SW France since 2003
    Would love to live in France, not much hope now though. Is it as good as many say?

The trouble is, you think you have time.

So far,India last Feb,Turkey 2 weeks ago and heading to Cornwall for a few days late Aug to visit daughter.
    You are the creator of your own reality!
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave

Chilling Out
    Tarifa, and as much of Cádiz as I can this summer - chilling around on the cheap.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Kerouac
    Tarifa, and as much of Cádiz as I can this summer - chilling around on the cheap.
    Just got back from 3 months in Tarifa, great place to experience. Bit windy tho. very popular with kite surfers.
    Very popular with van dwellers and bird watchers too. I seen my first vulture there, chuffin huge thing swooping down at me from the sky.
    Splendid Moroccan hashish and excellent bud.
    I'm leaning towards Greece for this winter, never been there yet. haven't decided, I might go back to Tarifa but If I do, it'll be with a trailer and a car behind the camper, Tarifa town can be a bit tight for a camper, narrow streets and all.
    Still pondering my options for the winter, but wherever I decide it will be sunny and warm.

anyone got any suggestions ?

james
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave, NomadicRT

To be honest sounds like you've found a really good spot - thanks.

The best winter weather seems to be a strip along that coastline as you go north or south of it it seems to get cloudier. Even Marakesh can be greyer than going north to that coastal strip.

I try to spend as much of February on the islands in the lagoons at Olhao, island of Armona is nice. Not particullay hippyish - but warm and friendly and even if it does rain it soon moves on. Lots of easy digging for clams - so food is next to nothing, cheap accomodation, bars etc - nice fish/ veg market in Olhao port.

I'm not sure you'll get better weather in Greece - that part of the med gets really stormy in the winter and the cold weather comes down from the northern land mass, but you can get lucky.

My parents spend a lot of time in La Gomera which sounds nice, but quite. Always good weather. Not cheap to get to though.
    Everything is not normal.

I've arrived here! Wow!
    Just came back from a month in New York and managed to get to upstate NY and visited the site of Woodstock Fest. It was brilliant!

I did this as an internatiinal housesitter. There are websites for this. You don't get paid and have to fork out your flight costs but once there you have use of the house etc in return for caring for pets and watering plants etc. Some are up to 8 weeks in fab locations such as NZ or Costa Rica. The sites charge about £90 per year membership and rhis covers vetting for safety (for both parties) so you get a reliable person who doesn't cancel 24hrs before or turn oyt to be a mad axe murderer!

This will be my future travelling strategy - maybe fit 2 in and travel between them for a few days. After your flights, you are only paying out for your food costs.

I'm going to get more into it and housesitting generally as I have 10 experience of UK housesitting with full DBS clearance (if anyone interested in here!)

T
    x

The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Tuning In
    Next Friday I'll be setting off with the gf in the van, Barcalona bound! I have to fly home 3 weeks later to do some stuff that's already booked but then I'll be flying back to the van and heading south for winter.... Any suggestions?

I hear lots of good things about van life in Portugal!

Tuning In
    Looks warm too for winter. I'll look into it some more. Was either Portugal, Greece, Morocco....

Message Beyond the van...he's a member on here and am pretty sure he spends a lot of time in those places. Think he has a blog too..

My travel plans..... Off on an adventure, fuck knows where I'm going but I'm going to enjoy every minute whilst I can

The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, MrsP, Rick69, yazz

Ihave ferry booked to santander next Tuesday and I'm going to meander down to the algarve for the winter,how fast depends on the weather, if it's warm enough in northern Portugal will be staying there for a while as I like the inlands of Portugal and not so much the coasts as it gets so busy with silver surfers of all nationalities. .
    Come back early April to see the spring here,that the best part of the year for me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

I haven't got a van or a buddy to travel with, but I am planning for summer 2018 - Iran, Kazakhstan, maybe some other countries I will be lucky to get visa to. Going to do hitchhiking, as I usually do. If anyone wants to travel during the Xmas time and doesn't have any company, I'm in. Or, if anyone wants to visit London ( not that concrete jungle is very interesting ) I can provide a comfy sofa surfing.

-- Posted from the
    --

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nelia
    I haven't got a van or a buddy to travel with, but I am planning for summer 2018 - Iran, Kazakhstan, maybe some other countries I will be lucky to get visa to. Going to do hitchhiking, as I usually do.
    Sounds a dodgy place to hitch, have you done it in places like that before?

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    Sounds a dodgy place to hitch, have you done it in places like that before?
    I have been to South America, Russia (up to Irkutsk), Europe, South Asia and part of India and Africa.

I don't think these places are dodgy, it's only propaganda. Iranian people are kind, beautiful and the most welcoming people in this part of the world. I have always wanted to go there, so next year it will be Iran for sure. I have friends there, so it's just a matter to get there from Poland, that's where I will be starting.

Kazakhstan, my friend traveled there very recently and nothing different than Russia. The only trouble os to get there from Iran, through Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. I might have not enough time to do both countries, but then I will leave Kazakhstanfor the next year.