THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: May or may not!

Sex
    Female

May or may not!

I heard a snippet of something this morning that has me seriously worried. Apparently this government is intending putting a halt to EU immigration to the UK the minute Article 50 can be activated. I.e. in a week or two if the lords gives it the thumbs up!
    I have to travel in Europe quite frequently for a variety of reasons and if this is actually on the cards how it will affect my free movement because there will be a response from other EU members.
    As far as I am aware we will all ( we being EU member state residents) be European citizens until the deal is finalised in a year or two therefore still afforded the rights of free movement etc.
    Anyway, has anyone else caught wind of this revelation because it is a deeply worrying turn of events if true.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

Sex
    Male
    It is worrying, I do not like the idea of fortress britain, a big part of the brexit campaign was based on immigration which in turn has fuelled peoples xenophobia. It's very worrying, especially as it has made a lot of very right wing people think they now have a platform to spread their bile. A hard brexit could really damage this country and our relations with our european neighbours, i really want to keep my freedom of movement. It sucks, but who ever said democracy is perfect, we have to leave and accept the consequences that follow.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

Sex
    Male
    I can see them possibly stopping immigrants looking to take up permanent residence unless they have qualifications we need but not stopping peeps visiting, they can't do that even that cnut Trump got stuffed on trying that one. Jnrs O/H is a highly qualified Czech nurse who is looking to move here when her contract finishes abroad and despite our need for qualified nurses I do have reservations on her being allowed to stay here.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Not all who wander are lost

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I can see them possibly stopping immigrants looking to take up permanent residence unless they have qualifications we need but not stopping peeps visiting, they can't do that even that cnut Trump got stuffed on trying that one. Jnrs O/H is a highly qualified Czech nurse who is looking to move here when her contract finishes abroad and despite our need for qualified nurses I do have reservations on her being allowed to stay here.
    The NHS would crumble without foreign nurses, it really would, especially now as you need student loans to train. It is not the most glamorous profession, and the levels of stress are ridiculous, the hours can be horrible and the pay is rubbish, you can not get a mortgage on it or anything, not mention the amount of nurses retiring over the next decade.

The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    I believe this is intended for all NEW immigrants yet to enter the country.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by hagrid
    I believe this is intended for all NEW immigrants yet to enter the country.
    Would that be the 1 million british returning after brexit

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Article here about it ...

Sex
    Male
    I'd like a point clarified please, is there a mix up here with immigrant and migrant?

To me, an immigrant is someone who moves from place A to live permanently in place B and a migrant is someone who moves from place A to place B but temporarily?? So, if I emigrate to Australia, I am an immigrant, but, if I go there to work on a contract, I might be considered a migrant worker but certainly not an immigrant. If I go on holiday there for 3 months, I'm considered neither.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

^^^That sounds about right to me.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Aren't we subject to EU law until after we actually leave?

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Paul
    As we have only voted to BrExit, yes; because we are still full members of said EU until we close the door on our way out.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Paul
    We're only subject to UK law IMHO with agreements on movement ect.. Could be wrong but I believe it's all done by treaty and directives except for the Human Rights Ct which again is just a 'follow on' to our laws for want of a better expression.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 27-02--2017 at 04:54 PM.

Sex
    Male

We're only subject to UK law IMHO with agreements on movement ect.. Could be wrong but I believe it's all done by treaty except for the Human Rights Ct which again is just a 'follow on' to our laws for want of a better expression.
    Sorry, my response was a bit too simple. We are indeed ruled by UK laws but some of those have, as I understand it, been modified/made to take account of rulings sent out from the "law makers" in the EU.

- Calvin+Hobbes

Sex
    Male
    They decide on rulings and we then encompass it into our law but we can go against their rulings should we wish to do so as our law is sovereign or so I believe.

Sex
    Male

They decide on rulings and we then encompass it into our law but we can go against their rulings should we wish to do so as our law is sovereign or so I believe.
    Would be nice to think so and I suppose we will only find out what the "real truth" is once we have left.

p.s. I keep forgetting to say I like your wulfie-pic!

- Calvin+Hobbes

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    if one EMmigrates one leaves this country to live somewhere else-permanently or temporarily, an IMmigrant is one who leaves another country to come and live here. a migrant is just a worker on a short term contract who SHOULD return home after the end of the contract, but most don't.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    When I were a student in Yorkshire I used to love my grant. "Ee, me grant" I used to say, "Wot, your grant?" they asked. "Aye, my grant" I replied.

Then I became a gastarbeiter. I found that cabbage made the most gas.