THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Growing Garlic in different varieties

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by exile1234
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    That's interestng cos in Spain I was told that you plant garlic winter solstice and harvest on summer solstice. Never remember as have other things to think about those dates, but one year....
    In the uk , I plant end of october , as the ground is too wet to be walking over by dec 21 usually .
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Transcending

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    If its horse manure you need to be carefull the horses have not been on pasture sprayed with herbicides , as it passes through into the poo , and will destroy your veg plot !
    Good soil is almost a pleasure to weed , as they pull pout easy rather than snapping off .
    Yes, Grazon and others will kill everything except grass and persist for several years, the manure I get comes from the farm next door but I still let weeds grow in it before I used it. This year I can add chicken and duck manure too.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Bit off topic, but is Chicken manure as good as horse to use ? also I am saving up coffee grounds to mix in as well

Originally Posted by Levey
    Bit off topic, but is Chicken manure as good as horse to use ? also I am saving up coffee grounds to mix in as well
    Chicken manure is very good indeed , but very strong , best to compost it first to get it to calm down a bit. Ditto horse ponk is a bit too strong to use straight out the horses bum . Give it as ling as you can to mellow and if its mixed with bedding , rot down a bit . Would be oky to spred it on soil straight away if you plan to leave the gtound vacent for a few months .
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Levey

You can make a very good ferlilizer by filling a hessian sack or similar with horse or sheep poo and putting it in plastic dustbin of water to make a stinky tea that you then dilute futher and use to water your veg .
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Levey, oldkeith

You can make a very good ferlilizer by filling a hessian sack or similar with horse or sheep poo and putting it in plastic dustbin of water to make a stinky tea that you then dilute futher and use to water your veg .
    Does this get over the pesticide problem previously mentioned?

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Does this get over the pesticide problem previously mentioned?
    No , it would have to be organic poo. Its just a good way to make a liquid feed for tomatoes and the like .

Not Quite a Noobie

No , it would have to be organic poo. Its just a good way to make a liquid feed for tomatoes and the like .
    I stuff leaves and weeds into a bucket with water for a few weeks too, and then dilute it again when using. Smells vile but seems to work. Have a really good cafe nearby who hand over all their coffee grinds for free as it saves them binning it. In USA, I visited a town where they had a community composting company who went round all the restaurants, cafes, hospital etc and collected all the food waste. Some went to a pig farm and most was sold on to gardeners, property developers etc to improve the soil in the town, and then the restaurants had access to fresh veg etc grown locally.

Anyone had any success growing ginseng?
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, oldkeith

I use coffee grounds.

Let them dry in the sun on a tray.

Crumble them back up, then sprinkle around the plants I want the slugs to avoid.

Seems to work better with some varieties of cabbage than others, but it does seem to have an effect.

Who has barrowed a lot of material on to his clay soil over the last five years.
    Even one ton of manure is a lot of work to shift from gate to plot.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by exile1234
    I stuff leaves and weeds into a bucket with water for a few weeks too, and then dilute it again when using. Smells vile but seems to work.
    I might have mentioned before that the O/H did this one year, rotted masses of perennial weeds in sealed water for six months over winter. She produced it when we ran out of compost for potatoes. Jeez, did it Stink! Anaerobic bacteria!
    Neighbours having an afternoon sit and natter in their garden swooned and used impolite language. We poured it into the last two potato trenches and quickly covered it with a few inches of soil, and planted the spuds. Three or four months later those two rows were about eight inches higher than the rest, and the resultant potatoes were lovely clean large tubers, with a higher weight yield than our compost rows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oddballdave

Transcending

Originally Posted by oddballdave
    Even one ton of manure is a lot of work to shift from gate to plot.
    That's when you realize the value of a tractor.

Here's an interesting, and scary, calculation I read;

One barrel of oil, refined into diesel and petrol, can do the same amount of work as a human working 40 hours a week for 11 years.

I know that sounds implausible, but consider this quick analogy. My van weighs 1.5 tons, and can carry 1.5 tons, so all up 3 tons. The diesel engine can move this 3 tons 35 miles + on 5 litres of diesel at 50mph. At walking speed, with a small efficient engine, it would go much, much further. Imagine how long it would take a man with a wheelbarrow to move 3 tons 35 miles.

That gives an idea of how fossil fuel is the bargain of all time, a resource we should not be squandering.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    Sadly the path from the site gate to my plot is only wide enough for a wheebarrow

Who did consider getting it parachuted in

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface

Here's an interesting, and scary, calculation I read;

One barrel of oil, refined into diesel and petrol, can do the same amount of work as a human working 40 hours a week for 11 years.

I know that sounds implausible, but consider this quick analogy. My van weighs 1.5 tons, and can carry 1.5 tons, so all up 3 tons. The diesel engine can move this 3 tons 35 miles + on 5 litres of diesel at 50mph. At walking speed, with a small efficient engine, it would go much, much further. Imagine how long it would take a man with a wheelbarrow to move 3 tons 35 miles.
    That 's why I feel sad in 3rd word places as a JCB takes the bread out of thousands mouths . It is also why a barrel of oil is ridiculously cheap!

I put 3 or 4 tons of muck on my veg and fruit gardens each year by wheel barrow, the muck heap is about 200 mtrs away. I do about 10 barrow loads aday before loosing the will to live sets in , but I get there in the end! I know how the 4th Bridge painters must feel
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Miss_bee

Got me interested now, would love to give garlic a go.

Had garlic soup in France a few years ago, over stale bread, it was fantastic
    The trouble is, you think you have time.

The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Transcending

It is also why a barrel of oil is ridiculously cheap!
    Exactly. People who moan about the cost of petrol / diesel have no idea what they should be doing with it. If they had to push their car to work one day they'd soon realise what an absolute bargain fuel is.

I keep 410 litres of diesel here, if the shit hits the fan that is enough to cultivate my land for the rest of my life and beyond, but many people use that much every 2 months commuting to work.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Petew
    Got me interested now, would love to give garlic a go.

Had garlic soup in France a few years ago, over stale bread, it was fantastic
    We often liven up soups with fresh squeezed garlic stirred in a few minutes before serving! Works on canned soups as well, if that's all there is. Good thing we both

like garlic!