Thread: Lynx

Lynx

What an informative and interesting article, with stunning photography.
    Bring 'em back I say.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, gomphus, ma bungo, NomadicRT

Good article but there's one major problem about reintroduction, man. It's more viable than wolves and with the damage being done to ancient forestry up there by deer it's a more natural way of restoring balance than the bullet. With the near extinction of the Scottish wildcat through man and breeding with moggies I doubt if it would ever happen as they'd be in the same areas, then there's the government compensation scheme for sheep loss, won't happen.
    Not all who wander are lost

I can only see it happening at Paul Listers estate in Alladale.Theres too many vested interests elsewhere to give the scheme a chance.Farmers moan already about the beavers and white tsiled eagles,then uoull get the ramblers.complaning about the dsngers and about fencing off land and they cant walk on it.
    Id love to see apex predators restored here but we've a population who complsin about every damn thing from birds to cats and foxes being a nuisance so i doubt this will ever be more than a glorified wildlife park venture.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Link not working for me but have read several articles on this. Of our extinct large carnivores this is the one most likely to be re-introduced.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

They (Lynx UK Trust) are looking at The Keilder Forest first as it isn't owned by some rich dude with other interests, if it works in this pilot area then maybe others will look at it more favourably.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See if this one works.

The following users think this post is groovy: gomphus, NomadicRT, Wulfie

Can't read the article either but I really hope they don't get brought back...same with wolves or any other large carnivores. They'll just get persecuted one way or another, all over again..
    The following users think this post is groovy: frame69

No don't know what has happened there I cant see it now. If you are interested you can look at a fb page called Rewilding Scotland it is in there.

There are already Lynx out there I think/hope they are too secretive to be persecuted like before, well openly and legally anyway, I would love to see Wolves back but I think you would only end up with some fucking brain dead thugs looking for them with Pitbulls etc.

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Maybe Lynx are canny enough to stay hidden then....all the Pumas and big cats that are apparently living wild seem to do a good job of not getting caught. Agree though that wolves wouldnt fare as well..

Reminds me of the last episode of planet earth in India, where the leopards were really close to people in cities at night, and they had no clue!
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

Thanks Wurzel- the later links worked.

Transcending
    Well, at least the Lynx would keep the Hares under control.

I Be Really Loving Your Post Wurzel and Thankyou ...
    It Was Truly A Wonderful Learning Idea And Beautiful Pictures Too ..And I Be Seeing Also Many Months Past Now These Be Thoughts For The Beautiful Wolf Too And It Would Be Soooo Truly Wonderfully Beautiful To Have Such Amazing Animal Predators Once More Walking The Lands Of Scotland..Ireland Etc ..
    But Sadly "MAN" Cannot And Would Not" Walk Besides And Share Their Lands With Such Beautiful Animals
    (
    Simply Because...
    What "MAN FEARS"And Does "NOT UNDERSTAND" ..
    MAN.. SEEKS..HUNTS..AND KILLS
    ((....Sadly
    (
    Form From The Void & Mists

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    Well, at least the Lynx would keep the Hares under control.
    Not really as mountain hares live in a totally different habitat to Lynx which is very much a woodland animal. Already plenty of predators for the hares- foxes + golden eagles- just they are exterminated in shooting country (the latter illegally).

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    Can't read the article either but I really hope they don't get brought back...same with wolves or any other large carnivores. They'll just get persecuted one way or another, all over again..
    Indeed. The tiny genital owners would be polishing their weapons up and getting exited.

Frame.
    Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.