THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I seem to have bought a bus........

Yeah this looks fun

Just wondering something regarding the windows. Is there any benefit to actually removing the ones you don't want? On my little T4 I just black out the unwanted windows from the inside, batten over them, insulate and board over. So a lot less effort replacing the glass etc and making it look good on the outside.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by andyvw View Post
    Yeah this looks fun

Just wondering something regarding the windows. Is there any benefit to actually removing the ones you don't want? On my little T4 I just black out the unwanted windows from the inside, batten over them, insulate and board over. So a lot less effort replacing the glass etc and making it look good on the outside.

Thats what I have just done on a 35ft bus that I am slowly converting for a friend , lot easier than replacing the windows with metal , and still looks good from the outside
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by boneheaddread View Post

Thats what I have just done on a 35ft bus that I am slowly converting for a friend , lot easier than replacing the windows with metal , and still looks good from the outside
    Another Vera? Pictures please! (friend consenting)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanh1989 View Post
    Another Vera? Pictures please! (friend consenting)

Ha well not quite another VERA , but I meet a farmer/ landowner who liked what I have done with the TK so he has let me use a yard and storage space free of charge for as long I want ,on condition that I covert a bus he bought a few years ago , so I thought why not , so I now spend a few days a month doing that
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, julianthegypsy, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Blacked out windows both more fragile and heavier than ally panels, best get rid of them if possible.
    The following users think this post is groovy: andyvw, julianthegypsy

Tuning In
    Oh bloody lovely, I accidentally bought a truck too lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Quote Originally Posted by cornwall87 View Post
    Oh bloody lovely, I accidentally bought a truck too lol
    I accidentally bought a Rover P6, can't live in it but couldn't help myself.

The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, essexcamper, jonathanh1989, julianthegypsy, realnutter, wanderingwill

i think the glass is removed on busses because of the wieght ..it cost to transport uneeded wieght around
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Morning all.

I'm taking out the glass rather than blacking it over as I do not want to carry any weight that i don't need to. Sheeting over with 0.9 mm ally will reduce the weight by quite a lot.

Stripped out quite a lot of tutt the weekend. Safety frames, lights and other trim and the like. First trip to the dump...

My mate who runs a timber merchants came over yesterday afternoon and we discussed lots of options, insulation, panels, framework for walls etc.

there is now a lot of masking tape on windows and the floors showing where we think that we would like to put everything.

The Ally sheet has been ordered, and should be delivered this week.

Won an old style caravan gas cooker on Fleabay for a lot less than my max bid.

Have spoken to Unkle Juju about a wood burner, which I should have given him dimensions of, but I forgot to measure the one in Mavis, but that's not quite so bad, as I can't afford it this month........

Main concern at the moment is security. In time the front doors will have to be replaced, but the back one will stay as is. So much thought is going in to how to lock the bus so that we enjoy her not other people.

So not much to show in pictures, but much planning and some stripping. The job shouldn't take as long as I was originally thinking.

:-)
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, popuptoaster, wanderingwill

Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    The job shouldn't take as long as I was originally thinking.

Dangerous words there!!!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Fire-Tree, patchypete, popuptoaster, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Morning all.

Main concern at the moment is security. In time the front doors will have to be replaced, but the back one will stay as is. So much thought is going in to how to lock the bus so that we enjoy her not other people.

So not much to show in pictures, but much planning and some stripping. The job shouldn't take as long as I was originally thinking.

My bus Bubbles is same body as yours and back door has a small yale type key (same size and shapeas the one for the luggage bay ), this dead locks the handle from outside but is always unlocked from the inside , same as the one that is fitted to the front swing door , if i push a button down inside the outside handle is disabled but the interier handle still works , obvious down fall is i can never lock people in

i can post pics if any help as it works well and has obviuosly been obtained post fleet use.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill

Quote Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
    My bus Bubbles is same body as yours and back door has a small yale type key (same size and shapeas the one for the luggage bay ), this dead locks the handle from outside but is always unlocked from the inside , same as the one that is fitted to the front swing door , if i push a button down inside the outside handle is disabled but the interier handle still works , obvious down fall is i can never lock people in

i can post pics if any help as it works well and has obviuosly been obtained post fleet use.
    Pics would be a great help, thank you

ok , i toook a dozen or so , back door ones seem scarce so i will try again (i mailed em to myself now i got a dozen mails on my phone but only 4 on puter) ..

inside front..

outside front ....

outside front with gratuitous crass symbol but rather strange reflections of suburbia giving Bubbles an etheric semi-detached and pebbledashed tone..

and heres one , its cross section slightly open rear door ....

Leave the glass in Colin and use as a greenhouse? Lol

ok , i toook a dozen or so , back door ones seem scarce so i will try again (i mailed em to myself now i got a dozen mails on my phone but only 4 on puter) ..

inside front..

outside front ....

outside front with gratuitous crass symbol but rather strange reflections of suburbia giving Bubbles an etheric semi-detached and pebbledashed tone..

and heres one , its cross section slightly open rear door ....

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boris the Bold View Post
    Leave the glass in Colin and use as a greenhouse? Lol
    Exactly why the windows are going, summer in Bella could be a tad (!?!) on the warm side!

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Oi! Pizza sizes! Never mind poncing around with glass, I need sizes! It'll take me a month to get the steel and get it built anyway...
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

Quote Originally Posted by julianthegypsy View Post
    Oi! Pizza sizes! Never mind poncing around with glass, I need sizes! It'll take me a month to get the steel and get it built anyway...
    Same size as the last one!Same size as you made for Hotrodjay!
    I need to get to Mavis and measure, but life tends to get in the blooming way! I dislike having to work for a living!
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

hmm , you may have to disregard pics of my front door , from what i can make out from old photos of it in service it had bi-folding doors , it got me thinking maybe the guy that sold it off from his fleet might know and as chance has it I know who that is from a call to him from me about buying a new mirror bracket , he asked the reg , i told him it dont show up on databases , i told him the first few characters and he completed it then told me where i had it parked !!! freaky , he then explained it used to belong to him and he remembers every vehicle reg ..., anyways , i just looked for for locks and first one up was this ...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Handl...-/251799117364

which happens to be the same guy , so there you have his number , must be worth a call to tell/show him what you have and what you desire ? , he may well have the bits there ?

hmm , you may have to disregard pics of my front door , from what i can make out from old photos of it in service it had bi-folding doors , it got me thinking maybe the guy that sold it off from his fleet might know and as chance has it I know who that is from a call to him from me about buying a new mirror bracket , he asked the reg , i told him it dont show up on databases , i told him the first few characters and he completed it then told me where i had it parked !!! freaky , he then explained it used to belong to him and he remembers every vehicle reg ..., anyways , i just looked for for locks and first one up was this ...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Handle-with-Lock-to-suit-Plaxton-Beaver-Bus-Coach-Camper-Rear-Door-/251799117364

which happens to be the same guy , so there you have his number , must be worth a call to tell/show him what you have and what you desire ? , he may well have the bits there ?
    You sir, are a gent sir.

Thank you so much for your help :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Handle-with-Lock-to-suit-Plaxton-Beaver-Bus-Coach-Camper-Rear-Door-/251799117364

Just had a chat with the bloke there (Justin), really nice chap, he recommends a lump of wood or a chain! Well, seeing as I now know that i can get a good lock for the emergency exit, that's not so much of a problem to me.
    Strongly recommend these people - he was really nice and helpful :-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz

Just had a chat with the bloke there (Justin), really nice chap, he recommends a lump of wood or a chain! Well, seeing as I now know that i can get a good lock for the emergency exit, that's not so much of a problem to me.
    Strongly recommend these people - he was really nice and helpful :-)

good to hear , but since then i found another , it looks like metal (same as mine) but no mention of keys ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-HANDL...UAAOSw~AVYq3kc

we really need more pics
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M

Bus lock.jpg

Lock arrived. pleased as I have 6 sheets of ally and a window in there.

have stripped a lot more out last weekend - there's a big heap of Ally to go to the scrappy on Saturday. Found some rusty nasties - but better to find and deal with rather than find out when it's too late!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Shroom, wanderingwill

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    But it's a great
    If I wasn't blind I would live in a bus
    If there are any mistakes in my posts it's Apple dictation's fault

Quote Originally Posted by maddy harper View Post
    But it's a great
    If I wasn't blind I would live in a bus
    You still can Maddie just found a guy that is not a cunt and who loves you and has a bus okay and likes guinea pigs

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.