THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Internet is broken...

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by essexcamper
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Well freedom of speech should apply to everyone. Someone who speaks out against the norm seldom has freedom of speech.
    I don't agree, it is harder to be heard because people don't want to listen to uncomfortable stuff, but you have considerable latitude in what you can say, unless you're talking about race hate stuff, or something else profoundly nasty.

Do you have an example of what you mean?
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, exile1234, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, Rick69

Originally Posted by essexcamper
    Well freedom of speech should apply to everyone. Someone who speaks out against the norm seldom has freedom of speech.
    These people who want to protect their freedom of speech and right to express it will eagerly deny others the right to do the same if they got into a position to do so.Thats the difference,theyre not about fairness or democracy,quite the reverse.Quite obvious what they want and who they want rid of.
    But America isnt unique on that score,their plenty of nazis here in UK hiding in plain site.

Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

I do t know why people get so upset and vitriolic about social media or the internet in general though,its just another medium of communication and or entertainment just as the post or tv or radio is.Youre under no obligation to use it nor use it in a set way you can tailor use to however you want or not at all..why does it matter to anyone how others use it or what shite they post? Many peoples lives are full of mundane shite its all they have so its no surprise theyre gping to post and text about it.
    Not everyone uses socialmedia that way and to be fsir if thsts all I saw on it i wouldnt use it either but its useful if you make or are trying to make a living which is why i use it.Its useful for people who have families scattered all over the country or the world...or to keepin touch with old friends.Im lucky ive a fairr few friends on facebook who o nly post topical interesting stuff and not the mundane rubbish everyone including me deals with everyday.I also know Im not going to be reading their ugly xenophobic opinions unlike on here because theyre not like that.A lot of them do interesting jobs around the world are musicisns so i get to see read and hear things not in the main stream far more thsn i would if i sat trawling the internet.
    It is what it is and how valuable it is in your life.is down to how YOU use it not how everyone else does,just the ssme asTV..you cam watch soaps and garbage all day long or be more selective (or not have tv at all like me)...or not have sny of it and do your own thing..whos going to care anyway.Whining about it all is just pointless its not going to change diddly squat.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, ma bungo, marshlander, parrotandcrow, Rick69, Uncle jhad

As nomadic said above, people have the choice. The only thing that annoys me is things like where you can only find out information, or you can only get a discount if you are on facebook. To be fair it cant really bother me that much or id register with a fake name and email address.

I choose not to use facebook, if i had family the other side of the country i probably would. Plus nobody wants to talk to me anyway, how sad would it be to be on there with no "friends".
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Heavenly Creature
    Since I joined FB, loads of people I knew 30/40 yrs ago and not seen since have been in touch. As RT said, and I love this, "Many peoples lives are full of mundane shite its all they have, so its no surprise they're going to post and text about it". Anyway once they've stopped telling me how wonderful their lives are and ask me what I'm up to, I tell them I live in a van now and what I get up to, then they seem to wander off and lose interest. It's less hassle to just stay as friends, but turn off their notifications about the grandchildren and where they are having a meal
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

lone wolf survivalist.
    i have no interest in people I knew 30 or 40 years ago, if they couldn't be bothered to keep in touch why should I??
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, rhythm, Rick69

Originally Posted by hagrid
    i have no interest in people I knew 30 or 40 years ago, if they couldn't be bothered to keep in touch why should I??
    A fair number of the folks I went to school with....are dead

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    A fair number of the folks I went to school with....are dead
    I wouldn't know about mine as I don't know where they are, 1 I do know about is in Brighton and that's it.

Thankfully not everyone is the samee or has the same priorities.I.still still see friends i was at school with and a few live abroad.Ive friends from services i keep in touch with via facebook because they live all over the place.Ive also.become good friends with people om facebook.id never have known without it and found things and people who live similar lifestyles to me.Become friends with Indian classical musicians id never have met otherwise.Ive got a few elderly and disabled housebound.friends who see no one but their carer once a day but talk to people all over the world and run advocacy campaigns for people with similar needs from.their sitting room..thsts thsnks to social medis..its a great resource or a shit one it really depends on how you go about using it.

I just think.its a bit bizarre that the people who moan and spit the most about social media are the ones who spend the most time on it.This forum and all tbe others are social media a d no much different to facebook...people post pics of their life on here...moan sbout all the tedious crap in their life,spend hours playing the daft games in 'Chatter' sharing their music tastes.and eating drinking and fucking habits .and petty irritations.and politics..tell me how is that sny different to the shite on facebook or twitter exactly...? Id be amused to know.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, ma bungo, marshlander, parrotandcrow, Sootyfoot

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    I'm in agreement with pretty much all of Nomadic's statements. Through Facebook I have found and in many cases have re-established connections with my extensive family now settled all over the world and friends from different phases of my life, including some I have been trying to find again for many years. I doubt I would phone my cousins in New Zealand or Australia, but having a chat via instant messaging is good fun and better than no contact at all. Through the use of groups we can get messages to family members to arrange for times and places to meet. My daughter can put out a cry for help with childcare and responses can come in from all over the country within minutes. I have made contact with friends of friends and in turn they have made contact with me. There is something a little strange when members of my favourite bands from forty years ago comment on any of my mundane life events or political rants, but it happens. I use Facebook to let people know about gigs and to find out when my musician friends are playing. It works.

There is a downside. I find the targeted advertising a little unnerving and I have to remember to keep an eye on whether my preferences for privacy still apply. I have also considered many times deleting my account, but on the whole it operates as a more useful tool than a nuisance in my experience. Therefore I shall keep using it for a while to come.

Heavenly Creature
    Nomadic is pretty much right. Although I agree with him, I still don't have FB, because what I've seen of other people's FBs is just repellent, but then I'm not a touchy feely type either, and they're the ones who seem (to me) to revel in it. Good luck to them and everyone else, thank god the world is not full of people as odd as me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, Rick69

I dont happen to like Facebooks autocratic way it does business,manipulates its users and harvests data (one reason i wont have their apps on my devices) but its free and you have a choice whether to use it or not....and to be fair they have provided a ra ge of privacy and filter tools to prevent people seeing things you dont want spread publicly and to stop you seeing the mundane garbage of everyday life if you dont want to see it.

Everyone has their preferred social media sites and thats fine but people need to take off the blinkers and recognise what theyre doing on whatever social media site they use is no different on any of them.Youre sharing your life or aspects of it with others and they with you, or youre observing voyeuristically if you are so inclined or networking to exploit business potential or keeping in touch with friends/family or reading topical articles and opinion.
    If that concept is disconcerting then dont use social media sites because thats what theyre all basically about...including this one....the only difference is how comfortable you are using one site versus another.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, parrotandcrow

lone wolf survivalist.
    forums have a specific shared interest, people on FB tend to post all the minute shite of their mundane little lives.

Even when living in other countries I did not see the need for facebook to keep in touch with rels. There's a marvellous wee thing called Skype for that. And you get to see the peeps!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by etherea
    Even when living in other countries I did not see the need for facebook to keep in touch with rels. There's a marvellous wee thing called Skype for that. And you get to see the peeps!
    Not forgetting the dropped calls the five seconds lag in voice transmission, the fuzzy pictures, it's AWESOME when it does work, I think FaceTime works way way way better

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

not so good if you are a data plan either , I used to have skype and found video calls horrendous on data usage .
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

Ive used skype quite a bit and i dont find it very useful or very good especially when users have poor connectiom the other end...calls to the US and Australia particularly annoying amd why do i need video which theyve gesred it round now..it was much better when it was just a plain messenger...but you dont need either skype viber or facebook(and.i dont like or use facebooks.messenger) ..I use email or whstsapp mostly and they dont eat data...the fact is theres a choice that suits everyone ...but you dont 'need' any of them.

There is one good thing about Facebook...when you block people they vanish completely for ever,
    if only that were possible here...
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 02-03--2017 at 03:28 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot