THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Mountain Hares being killed.

Sex
    Male

Mountain Hares being killed.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taken today in the Monadhliaths. No Eagles, no harriers, just a load of dead mountain hares.
    Am I wrong in thinking these are a protected species?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Huh? What's all that about?

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Its on the grouse moors again...they cull the hares because they supposedly interfere with the grouse nesting sites..
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male
    I heard that it maybe a misguided belief that mountain hares pass on a virus to the precious grouse, so they get slaughtered for it with impunity by the gamekeepers. The more cynical believe it's also done to deprive eagles of prey or to stop lurcher men poaching ie: if there are non there they cant hunt them.

Sex
    Male
    They kill anything that nterferes with the grouse shoot industry....systematically wipe out all wildlife that potentially disturbs the grouse or predates on them.
    I dont think.theres any real scientific evidence on the disease excuse,they just use it as a l'igitimate' reason for culling.
    Same happens on the big estates that operate pheasant shoots.
    The RSPB and Mark Avery its former chief have been trying to get grouse shoots shut down because of the devastation of the wild bird and wildlife population.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 01-03--2017 at 12:32 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Sex
    Male
    Just found this.

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    FFS! Seems to me the hares were there first?
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Sex
    Male

Last edited by NomadicRT; 01-03--2017 at 01:03 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    FFS! Seems to me the hares were there first?
    Its all about money,it doesnt matter to them what was there first theyre only interested in the commercial success of the grouse shoots.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Barstards. Signed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, NomadicRT, wurzel

Sex
    Male
    Despite the epetition reaching 127000 in December the Government slready had ruled out a ban in November.

Sex
    Male
    It's more to do with reducing available food for birds like the red kite, buzzards etc. Look how they have populated the lowlands. They are extremely worried they will colonise these moorlands and it's easier to control the food source than a perceived problem that could threaten business interests.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

One life, live it
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    It's more to do with reducing available food for birds like the red kite, buzzards etc. Look how they have populated the lowlands. They are extremely worried they will colonise these moorlands and it's easier to control the food source than a perceived problem that could threaten business interests.
    The red kite is apparently a very voracious predator. They have reached London now, I love to see them in the sky and always looked out for them when driving down the M4..

One day last year I commented about how lovely it was to see them now to a fellow dog walker who it turned out was a keen RSPB member. She really sounded off to me saying they were vermin and should never have been re-introduced.

According to her they are wiping out all the other song birds and out competing other native birds of prey including owls, so that's all I know.

Could a red kite take a hare though?

Sex
    Male
    I adore red kites... they were reintroduced in the Chiltern hills just north of Reading, and many fly here every day to scavenge... It's not unusual to see 8 or so in the air together over some parts of town... From my house I often see one swooping so low you can almost count the feathers...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Shroom

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by realnutter
    I adore red kites... they were reintroduced in the Chiltern hills just north of Reading, and many fly here every day to scavenge... It's not unusual to see 8 or so in the air together over some parts of town... From my house I often see one swooping so low you can almost count the feathers...
    I drove to Wales in 1995 to see red kites, they had been known to be in the area. We took a minibus full of interested people. We never saw one in the 3 days we were there. Now we see gem daily along the A14. A1 and heading up into the midlands. 8 years ago they were very rare around these parts. I can understand why gamekeepers fear there establishment on moorlands. To me it's a great success story. But it's not my way of life or livelihood at stake. They should encourage a different type of tourist. Screw the gun club in their tweeds. Think outside the box and sell conservation and open space to the masses
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Screw the gun club in their tweeds. Think outside the box and sell conservation and open space to the masses
    Would take time and money and probably be to the detriment of "conservation" as lots of humans would be wandering around at a low per head instead of a few at lots .

Sex
    Male
    The culling of hares is nothing to do with making less food available to raptors- though may be a desirable side effect from the point of view of a grouse moor owner/gamekeepers. The reason cited is to reduce a pathogen called louping ill disease transmitted by ticks which hares act as vectors for. The science suggests that the hares aren't that important as disease transmitters as the game people would like to believe. Raptors are already illegally shot/poisoned on grouse moors so unlikely to ever have a thriving population where so much big money is at stake.

So much barbarity in the name of so called sport! I've been fortunate to see Mountain Hares up close several times in the Highlands as well as all the British grouse; though it is the red grouse which is the principal quarry species.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion