Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wild camping ban in parts of Scotland starts today

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    Got signs similar to this at a local common

but the bags still festoon the trees
    I like it, but it wouldn't work around here, not bilingual see?

lone wolf survivalist.
    I've put them up too but people ignore them, or as we say around here" they walk around with s##t in their eyes!"

Im not really surprised that this has been necessary,ive been going up past there for years and I stopped going near loch lomond because of the anti-socisl feral idiots trashing the loch side areas.Last couple of times i was there there was an all-night party going on you could hear right across the loch and the area was left with human shit empty cans bottles used toilet paper condoms and general trash and thryd cut down a load of bushes for firewood.Families whod arrived in the day time had to pick their way through it all.
    The next time i stayed nearby there was a load of youngsters road racing their cars around the loch until 3am when the police arrived..
    I decided there was no point heading there so now i bypass the area completely.
    The problem with this ban is these people wont go away theyll just move on further up into the surrounding area and cause problems there and eventuslly it will lead to a ban on wild camping in many areas a d affect all of us.
    Now theres the NC500 route im waiting for the feral garbage to find their wsy up there and trash that.
    Ive spent decades in that remote area and rarely seen many people on my travels and its a beautiful place but its now becoming a popular place to tour so i think.its only a matter of time before the undesirables descend.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

It's a shame that they don't take the vehicles off these lowlives when they're caught desecrating these beauty spots which belong to all. They'd soon learn.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turning On
    The Glaswegians playground. I hate the Loch Lomond area as it's crowded and it's an evil road to use due to tourist buses and trucks.

Hey! I am just doing my work

...and it is the best work ever. I love driving up and down Loch Lomond in the truck , especially when my destination is Lochmaddy

I am always polite, and letting people pass if they got stuck behind me!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Not Quite a Noobie
    Quote Originally Posted by orys View Post

...and it is the best work ever. I love driving up and down Loch Lomond in the truck , especially when my destination is Lochmaddy

Where did you find to let anyone pass?!!! Last time we went up there in the truck, the kids counted 29 cars, buses and other trucks behind us when I finally found a place to pull in!

Quote Originally Posted by orys View Post

It's not the following of trucks and coaches, there's no safe overtakes anyway, I don't mind that as can enjoy the views it's meeting some of them and usually on my side of the road. The road up the loch is a bastard although they are improving it. Size doesn't mean they have to be inconsiderate to smaller vehicles. The worst lot are the coaches with twat drivers talking to their tourists on a headset (Rabbis) as IMO they don't concentrate on the road. Had a few of those come close as well as ignore the passing places on their side of the road on single track. That's when my reverse fails to function.

Orys, you have to have one of the best routes apart from certain sections and weather, lucky boy.
    Not all who wander are lost

It's not the following of trucks and coaches, there's no safe overtakes anyway, I don't mind that as can enjoy the views it's meeting some of them and usually on my side of the road. The road up the loch is a bastard although they are improving it. Size doesn't mean they have to be inconsiderate to smaller vehicles. The worst lot are the coaches with twat drivers talking to their tourists on a headset (Rabbis) as IMO they don't concentrate on the road. Had a few of those come close as well as ignore the passing places on their side of the road on single track. That's when my reverse fails to function.

Orys, you have to have one of the best routes apart from certain sections and weather, lucky boy.

The Loch Lomond road is a lot better than it was say thirty years ago but the traffic has increased out of all proportion. We got stuck on it last June for nearly three hours because there was an accident at the junction at the top of the Loch and the police closed the road.

That's Scotland for you. My pet hates are the BIG German and Dutch coaches as well as the doddery old gits driving enormous motorhomes that are beyond their ability to manoever on the narrow roads.

The year before, in the Lake District, two of those great big motorhomes got stuck bumper to bumper on a very windy lane near Beatrice Potters cottage. Neither driver could reverse their vehicle and are probably still there.

The real problem in that instance, I believe, was both drivers were following their sat navs down totally unsuitable roads instead of studying the map and doing a bit of route planning.
    Last edited by Bernie; 02-03--2017 at 10:33 AM.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post

The year before, in the Lake District, two of those great big motorhomes got stuck bumper to bumper on a very windy lane near Beatrice Potters cottage. Neither driver could reverse their vehicle and are probably still there.

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by exile1234 View Post
    Where did you find to let anyone pass?!!!
    If you go up there is that strech of straight road where the service road to the railway track branches to the left. Then got can pull in after that Sharp bend right near the Caravan park... Then layby after the parapet, then ardlui, then another laybe next to tato Bridges, then another railway service road...

Going down is much easier as there is plenty of laybys and parkings on the left.

Sometimes it is also enough to dla down and signal with indicator to let them know that they pass safely...

As there are three or four bits long enough to safely overtake. Ive been known to even overtake with my truck
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Good luck collecting the fine from those that can't afford to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by ayami View Post
    Good luck collecting the fine from those that can't afford to pay it.
    A young traveller and his family came to stay with me while his partner gave birth in the 1990's. Our local Council got heavy with us about staying on my land after a few months, so My friend drove straight up to Scotland. He parked his horsebox up and went collecting cockles down on the beach to sell. He got arrested under some ancient Scottish law that was last used over 60 years ago. They sent him to prison. His partner and children were stuck there in the horsebox. Anything can happen in Scotland.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    A young traveller and his family came to stay with me while his partner gave birth in the 1990's. Our local Council got heavy with us about staying on my land after a few months, so My friend drove straight up to Scotland. He parked his horsebox up and went collecting cockles down on the beach to sell. He got arrested under some ancient Scottish law that was last used over 60 years ago. They sent him to prison. His partner and children were stuck there in the horsebox. Anything can happen in Scotland.

Don't fuck with the establishment! Was it cause he broke the law collecting cockles then? How long did he get?

Quote Originally Posted by ayami View Post
    Don't fuck with the establishment! Was it cause he broke the law collecting cockles then? How long did he get?
    It was because he collected cockels yes. He got six months. He was on the front page of a daily newspaper because this law hadn't been used for so many years.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

If people are going to be wankers and not take responsibility, then the ban is only fair to protect the enviroment. I'd rather see a ban in place then people damaging the enviroment
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

lone wolf survivalist.
    collecting a few cockles is hardly damaging the environment..... unless he was breaking up rocks with a pick axe.

It'd be very sad if Scotland started losing it's Right to Roam. We don't have it in Northern Ireland (not that we let that stop us), and I've always been a little envious of Scotland. There's always somebody to ruin it for everyone.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill