THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wild camping ban in parts of Scotland starts today

Wild camping ban in parts of Scotland starts today

As from today wild camping in Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Parks becomes illegal with fines of up to 500. The ban is expected to spread to other Scottish National Parks once they have seen how this works out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-39117802

as I posted in another thread, the big and abiding problem has been the totally unnecessary mess left behind by total plonkers

lone wolf survivalist.
    in the 21st century there are always those who spoil it for others because they are stupid.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I thought it was banned round Loch Lommond already . Else where if you are discrete I do not see a problem.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

i heard it on the radio this morning , then i saw the report on tv , first thought was i hope the pricks that have left thier shit there would see it and feel some guilt , but second thought was that are the type of moron that save the clip and share with their friend on fb 'look at me i am on telly thats my fucked old gazebo '
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, wanderingwill

The Glaswegians playground. I hate the Loch Lomond area as it's crowded and it's an evil road to use due to tourist buses and trucks. The mess and damage along the loch side needs to be seen to be believed so I'm not surprised about the ban. Looked to stop there more than once but there were too many pissheads and screaming idiots.

The park authority said it had provided more than 300 camping and motorhome places in the new zones.

It said the by-laws cover less than 4% of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.
    I wouldn't say that was too bad, 4%, but it's the 'who else' will follow factor.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 01-03--2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Not all who wander are lost

I saw it on the news too, the mess was appalling. People just go there to party, its not even wild camping in the sense that we would understand it.

I remember the Greek islands thirty odd years ago. It was very trendy to backpack around and sleep on the beaches in those days. Exactly the same problems there. Cans, broken bottles, shit everywhere.

You should leave nothing behind you except a little patch of slightly flattened grass
    Last edited by Bernie; 01-03--2017 at 10:12 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, Sootyfoot, wanderingwill

It's about 30 minutes drive from Glasgow so whoever's enforcing the byelaws will always have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    It's about 30 minutes drive from Glasgow so whoever's enforcing the byelaws will always have a job.
    That's the truth of it but its not only Glaswegian piss heads. The area is hugely popular with motorhome owners who can be pretty anti social too. There is new breed it seems to me
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

I am antisocial in so much as I don't like peeps pitching close to me, screaming kids, out of control dogs or unwarranted noise when I park up in beautiful places. I go there for the nature and I don't expect the trappings of the city to turn up on my doorstep when I'm in the arseend of nowhere and there's loads fo room for them to be away from me. Enroute to places, using lorry parks ect, no problem but the times I've parked up on a large open area only to have a motorhome pitch just yards away or twats walk right close and stare in. I'm usually more antisocial then and they move further away. On Uist last year I had a girl on her own park her Volker right by me which I was ok with but it got a bit weird when she did the same at different places the following two nights.

Antisocial to me is all about mess, its one of the bees I have in my bonnet. People will often park up by you for security, a sort of herding instinct

All I leave are four dimples in the ground.

I am a put the tent up, eat sleep and then remove any rubbish if any with me. This ban is going to be a bugger because this will be rolled out over the rest of Scotland, a country that so lends itself to wild camping. There are those of us who cannot afford to use regular sites and don't want to be involved in the hassle that goes with that anyway. Whatever happened to freedom to roam? This truly is bad, bad news!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, wanderingwill

Heavenly Creature
    It'll be the same as the waterways, they only want shiney's that they can make money out of
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

True!

I think to be honest it will all be about locations, the assholes never stray very far from the road IMO, stay discreet and you should be alright.

Its like stealth vanning in built up areas. My mother lives in a retirement flat at the end of a cul de sac. Last summer, for a month or so a couple of guys were sleeping in an Irish registered transit that appeared in the evening and went again the next morning.

I clocked them almost immediately but I don't suppose any of the residents of the flats would have done if they hadn't dumped bags of empty beer cans, fast food boxes etc on the pavement right next to their van every morning. Then the foxes ripped the bags up because they could smell the chicken bones inside.

Its so obvious to me its a no brainer.

There were Romanians camping in the local park, why leave the tents there all day for everybody to see?

pass through like the breeze through the trees and you should be fine

Whatever happened to freedom to roam
    It's been spoilt by the ones who go by 'freedom to ruin'. Having seen what they do on the edges of Loch Lomonde something has to be done but whether this is the way........ For wild camping with the area covered by plod north of Fort William you'd have to do something silly to draw attention to yourself with the locals to get them to do a 999 for them to travel an hour just to come and book you.

lone wolf survivalist.
    the rubbish that other people leave is my main bugbear, why do people have to be so messy? I was brought up to "take your rubbish home with you"!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, Sootyfoot

Yeah so was I and I taught my children that there was no fate worse than being caught throwing litter. The good people that they are are also teaching their children that littering is a total no-no!
    But, many people think that it is there god given right to do what they want where they want and there be no consequences!
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Not Quite a Noobie
    I'd be happy to purchase a yearly wild camping permit, for say 20 (for the whole of UK). This should add some air of responsibility to the individual and a group of partying pissheads won't be likely to fork out 100 for example.

There needs to be repercussions for those responsible for the mess, not a blanket ban on 95% of decent people because of this. Perhaps funds from the camping permits can then be used to find and prosecute the troublemakers.

lone wolf survivalist.
    my OH reckons these sorts of people think there is a refuse "fairy" that removes it all for them, same as dog walkers that think there is a "dog poo fairy"!!

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
    my OH reckons these sorts of people think there is a refuse "fairy" that removes it all for them, same as dog walkers that think there is a "dog poo fairy"!!
    I am that "fairy", so damn sick of litter here that at least once a week I go out with a bag and pick it up off the road and tracks. Dog poo? No, that's another fairy.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by hippydax View Post
    I'd be happy to purchase a yearly wild camping permit, for say 20 (for the whole of UK). This should add some air of responsibility to the individual and a group of partying pissheads won't be likely to fork out 100 for example.

There needs to be repercussions for those responsible for the mess, not a blanket ban on 95% of decent people because of this. Perhaps funds from the camping permits can then be used to find and prosecute the troublemakers.
    20 a year? I know people who would pay that to save cleaning up, because I frequently pick up their McDonalds cartons, etc. How much of a tax on a daily McDonalds habit would 20 a year be?

How about a deposit scheme where you pay a substantial deposit to be a "wild camper", and lose it if you don't clean up? Lost deposits would fund wardens. Yes, it would take some of the fun out of doing it, but if people can't be trusted, somebody has to pay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hippydax View Post

20 a year? I know people (wild dossers) who would pay that to save cleaning up, because I frequently pick up their McDonalds cartons, etc. How much of a tax on a daily McDonalds habit would 20 a year be?

How about a deposit scheme where you pay a substantial deposit to be a "wild camper", and lose it if you don't clean up? Lost deposits would fund wardens. Yes, it would take some of the fun out of doing it, but if people can't be trusted, somebody has to pay.

It's a numbers game. When free, uncontrolled areas allow vehicles and people access on mass to gather. You get environmental impacts that unless managed and managed well. Soon detracts from the beauty of a area. One fire pit next to another fire pit. One unburnt branch next to unsuccessful fire burn. A tin can here a tin can there. Soon the cleanliness and with that the respect goes tits up. A burnt out car. Great if it's a insurance job. The owner doesn't even have to sweep up the broken glass, the recovery guys just take the scrap. The scar and toxins lay there for all to see. Apocalypse here and now enters the thugs head. His shit, what harm can his shit do other than to add to it already there. People are the hardest to control. You can place rubbish bins at various places frequently visited. Still folk just drop/leave litter laying around. Put up a educational sign. It's graffitied or torn down and burnt. Without controls, we loose control. People have brought this on themselves. It's not one or two, it's all of us. We all want what can't be controlled, we respect what we choose and some think fk the rest. We are very lucky here in the UK with the right to roam, we don't expect the right to freely camp everywhere. There is designated places where this can be sustainable without a army of paid staff or voluntary helpers keeping the camping spots in check.
    Lets support the decision made. Let's keep it pristine so that it can cobtinue to be visited and enjoyed by the many and our children to come. Let's not allow a few to change it forever or make it a no go area in the future. The offenders drive out of the towns and cities. They have paid top dollar for their gear (drugs) alcohol, the threads they wear, they won't save up a few quid to book into a campsite if they can trash the wilderness for free (if you let them).
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd View Post
    I am that "fairy", so damn sick of litter here that at least once a week I go out with a bag and pick it up off the road and tracks. Dog poo? No, that's another fairy.
    Got signs similar to this at a local common

but the bags still festoon the trees